Worth another gigahertz?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kaine wrote:Yep, back when Xeons were still great value! It's just a shame the 5680 was possibly the last generation of Xeon you could overclock as they pulled about 9000 in CPU benchmark, so about equal to a current i5 6600. Overclocked, it possibly even beats a stock i7 6700 still, which given it's 6 years old is superb, but newer Xeons don't offer quite the same value I.M.O
I love my 5680s. I bought a few sets back when they hit 200 bucks for a matching pair just to make sure they'd still be around :).

The shame is that CPUs are built more around the gaming market these days verses being built for actual work horse computing. Which in audio and video that's what we need just brute processing power and massive amounts of RAM.

Even some shelf built computers I look at these days. Maybe it can run the newest fallout in 4K but can't keep up with Cubase.

We will see what happens in the next few years but for now my 6 year old processors work better then something like the 6700 for the price.

I can't wait to see a company go after the audio market. It seems like it would be so cheap in comparison to video. Apple has gotten away from it in my opinion.

Always good discussing with you guys!
Kevin
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

"Do you think I'll see a decent bump?"

Maybe. Those cpu-eaters might have
more to chew on. And some work-flow
might improve, more apps open without
damaging a recording.

I recently purchased a recycle-center refurb computer,
i7 2600 cpu, 4 cores and 8 threads at 3.4 ghz,
8gig ram, with a terrabyte sata drive set up with win7 pro,
and a dvd recorder, for $260, so be real careful on the prices.
$800 may be $400 too much.

I'd suggest bargain hunting, horse-trading, and then stockpile
most of the 'extra' cash. I'm going back through previous
aquisitions, finding a lot of jewels...like the
Concept X reaktor ensemble...is a potent gas-X pill :wink:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”