Low-end subwoofers

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey!

Do you guys have experience with products such as the Behringer K10S? For a while now I've been starting to think of getting a subwoofer, but I can't invest into a genelec-pricerange.

Thanks!

Well... what's the size of your room? Imho in a small-ish room (think of the 3x4 meters range) adding a sub is wasted effort. Have you got acoustic treatment of the room already covered? If not, adding a sub can cause more problems than it will solve.

Most people want a sub because what they're really after is flapping trousers and feel the bass impact on their chest & stomach, just like in a club or concert. Yes, a sub helps with that. BUT you get that effect only at the same volume (louder than 110dB) as in that club. How would your neighbours react to you producing at that volume all the time, never mind the effect on your own ears...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Recently moved in so its not fully treated room. I have installed foam diffuser to a place where I know reflection will affect what I hear, I haven't used reference mic yet here. But I know my speakers and they don't produce as low frequency sound as I would want to; I've listened my stuff in five different 5.1 monitoring rooms and the bass frequencies are causing earthquakes there (bad thing), but not where I produce, that is my issue.

Talked with neighbours and they are fine with me and my music hobby, and I'm playing saxophone! :D

Sounds like you've given it enough thought... Then go for it!

Just had a look at the back panel of the Behringer K10S. It has a stereo output after the cross-over, so your main monitors don't receive the frequency range already covered by the sub. And that's exactly how it should be. I see no problem...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I love my sub. Would not like to mix without it ... Genelec 9080A :party: :tu:

Foam treatment is useless under 150Htz, you need proper bass trapping for it to have any effect whatsoever.

Building "Superchunks" in the corner is the common method for controlling bass in home project studios, if you want to get serious you'd need something like tuned selection of Helmholtz resonators but that's a whole other ballgame.

It is entirely possible you've got room modes causing the bass loss already. Which speakers are you currently working with?

Behringer B2030A.

I'm not trying to make bass traps for the moment, foam is to diffuse/absorb early reflection of a bit higher frequencies. Got heavy ikea curtains on the opposite wall of the speakers, 1 stage curtain and few foams that I haven't placed anywhere yet. Placement of things are subject to change here.

I'm familiar with physics of the sound, compromise art of different monitor placements. My monitor positioning alone gives me a different pair of monitors for the moment, but I'm now looking for a <300€ sub.

It is low frequency bass that I am missing, <100 / 80 Hz. These monitors start rolling off there.

Sure, you may as well just match them with the correct sub then, so yeah, the K10S.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”