Controller mapping in Reason

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently got Reason and am trying to find a way for my Kore controller to control it in midi mode. In particular I am interested in controlling devices, I couldn't care less about transport etc. I really want to be able to do things like control the macro knobs in Parsec and other synths, or the knobs and buttons in combinators. I can do the over ride Remote mapping and map knobs individually to devices but as soon as I change patch the mapping is lost which is pointless. I want something I can setup once and forget. As with Bitwig it seems designed to use certain pre scripted devices but anything that there isn't a device script for it's pretty useless with.

OK now I have Reason 9 but nothing seems improved, you would think decent control would be more of a priority really.

No one using Reason with controllers other than what it has scripts for?

Several years ago I signed the controller SDK. When I looked at the documentation and SDK I discovered it was fairly spartan at the time and expected developers to customize quite a bit to get anywhere meaningful. It was all written in Lua and was created in a time before most controllers had visual feedback. In short, I abandoned my ideas with it when I realized the sheer amount of time it'd take to get things done.

If you're serious about getting Kore working you'll need to get the SDK and program your own interface to it for each module you expect to work with. I have no idea how it works with REs since that came out after I did this exploration.

If you just want a more tactile interface then rsTouch Pro for the iPad is probably your best bet. They've already done all the hard work of mapping things to a changing UI.

(I tried to find you the SDK page but the propellerhead website is down right now)
Feel free to call me Brian.

Thanks - that's crazy, it's like Bitwig or even worse. Almost all hosts allow you to just assign a midi controller using learn, the better ones like Studio One allow you also to set up a controller just once using a graphical interface then use that each time you want to control something. Having to get into SDKs and Lua scripting to do something so basic is just daft.

aMUSEd wrote:Thanks - that's crazy, it's like Bitwig or even worse. Almost all hosts allow you to just assign a midi controller using learn, the better ones like Studio One allow you also to set up a controller just once using a graphical interface then use that each time you want to control something. Having to get into SDKs and Lua scripting to do something so basic is just daft.
I agree, it's not friendly at all to the end user. It's designed much more for OEMs and third party developers and it's why (in my opinion) you find so few external controller maps for Reason.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”