Talk to me about CPU

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the help, yall. Don't really think anyone is being a dick. I can take hard advice lol

Kaine:
Yeah, I did buy it on clearance, so that hard drive is probably pretty old as well. So you're saying a possible increase of performance would be first to get a new hard drive & power supply? I didn't consider that. Good nugget to chew on. The hard drive is not SSD... so maybe getting an SSD drive & some more power could boost it alot.

T3toooo
Going along with Kaine's suggestion of a new SSD, installing the OS on a new SSD sounds like a good idea as well. My only concern in that is....

A. Could I just use the new hs & OS to run apps that are already jnstalled on the current HD or would I have to reinstall everything onto the new one to take advantage of the speed (and have it be functional)?

B. Would I be able to use the OSs side by side... like how partitions on the same drive work?
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

If you aren't using a lot of sample, a new power supply and SSD drive won't gain you any power for the scenario in your OP.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Saukar30 wrote: Yeah, I did buy it on clearance, so that hard drive is probably pretty old as well. So you're saying a possible increase of performance would be first to get a new hard drive & power supply? I didn't consider that. Good nugget to chew on.
Nope, I was throwing that out there as you were discussing upgrading or building a new system. I was talking from a point of view of what might be worth recycling and what might be easier just to upgrade in the long run.
The hard drive is not SSD... so maybe getting an SSD drive & some more power could boost it alot.
The SSD will speed up access time and make things more snappy. Depending how much audio / sample libaries in use, and if you move those to SSD's too, it might help a fair bit. Or if your mostly synths that are generated in the box (massive, serum etc...) then it probably won't make much difference at all.

Increasing the power supply does nothing to improve performance. However PSUs' slowly become more unstable as they age and the caps degrade. So if a PSU is at the end of it's life span, and your looking to upgrade for another 5 year use, well I'd do the PSU as well as it could come back to bite you in two years otherwise.
Going along with Kaine's suggestion of a new SSD, installing the OS on a new SSD sounds like a good idea as well. My only concern in that is....

A. Could I just use the new hs & OS to run apps that are already jnstalled on the current HD or would I have to reinstall everything onto the new one to take advantage of the speed (and have it be functional)?
You'd need to reinstall. The software needs to be registered in the registry in most cases, and setting up a second OS, won't have that data in the registry until you install fresh.
B. Would I be able to use the OSs side by side... like how partitions on the same drive work?
You could have two OS's that you can switch between.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”