Slow laggy GUI's in Sound Radix/Meld/DMG vsts

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've started having the slowest, laggiest, unusable performance with Drum Leveller, limitless and any Melda Production plugins. I fixed Melda by turning graphics accelleration off, but Sound Radix has no such settings so I can't do this. Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere are also unusable these days, so I'm hoping if anyone's had similar issues, they could chime in? I'm using an Nvidia GTX680 on Windows 7, and I even tried an old driver but it didn't help. Is this an OpenGL issue?

I know a couple of the sequencers are having issues with Open GL and settings it to the single core processing option in the nvidia driver control panel (on a per application basis) has helped in the past. I'm not sure that overall that is your fix however, as Aftereffects would be more CUDA than open GL, so this wouldn't help or explain why that's also running slow.

You've virus scanned and the rest, for anything running in the background? Maybe try running a gfx benchmark on your card, in case that's starting to fail.

Kaine wrote:I know a couple of the sequencers are having issues with Open GL and settings it to the single core processing option in the nvidia driver control panel (on a per application basis) has helped in the past. I'm not sure that overall that is your fix however, as Aftereffects would be more CUDA than open GL, so this wouldn't help or explain why that's also running slow.

You've virus scanned and the rest, for anything running in the background? Maybe try running a gfx benchmark on your card, in case that's starting to fail.
Good idea, I noticed chocolate doom which uses software rendering was slower than usual yesterday but gldoom is fine which would surely be a software issue rather than hardware?

elvisish wrote:Is this an OpenGL issue?
You could check with GLview what your card currently supports and verify that with the software requirements.
http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/

Kaine wrote:I know a couple of the sequencers are having issues with Open GL and settings it to the single core processing option in the nvidia driver control panel (on a per application basis) has helped in the past. I'm not sure that overall that is your fix however, as Aftereffects would be more CUDA than open GL, so this wouldn't help or explain why that's also running slow.

Also, photoshop and premiere have gone slow and laggy too, and they're not cuda, but they are opengl i believe, even turning stuff off in the preferences doesn't help.
No_Use wrote:
elvisish wrote:Is this an OpenGL issue?
You could check with GLview what your card currently supports and verify that with the software requirements.
<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview</span>/

I'll give it a go...

elvisish wrote: Also, photoshop and premiere have gone slow and laggy too, and they're not cuda, but they are opengl i believe, even turning stuff off in the preferences doesn't help.
Both are based around the Mercury engine, which is highly optimized for CUDA out of the box. Yes, it can leverage OpenGL, but frankly it sucks at doing so when compared to CUDA.

Kaine wrote:
elvisish wrote: Also, photoshop and premiere have gone slow and laggy too, and they're not cuda, but they are opengl i believe, even turning stuff off in the preferences doesn't help.
Both are based around the Mercury engine, which is highly optimized for CUDA out of the box. Yes, it can leverage OpenGL, but frankly it sucks at doing so when compared to CUDA.
I tried the opengl tool and it seems okay enough, can I test if theres something physically wrong with the card?

Normally we run loops of 3D Benchmark or Heaven benchmark for a few hours and see if it artifacts. You could do that and check the final score and then try and compare it to other results online to see if it's in the same ballpark.

Just found out I have hardware problems with windows memory diagnostics tool, would that be causing this kind of problem?

Okay, I've just tried a version of Chocolate Doom that uses hardware scaling works properly, I haven't played Chocolate Doom since these select plugins and Adobe software started lagging, but the software-scaling Chocolate Doom runs slowly, the hardware scaling branch doesn't. I thought it might be a good test to see what's wrong, but I've no idea how to fix whatever's actually broken!

Memory might explain it. Required data is held in memory, so the CPU can access it. If the memory isn't addressable, I can imagine it'll swap it back to drive space and that in itself could generate all sorts of lag, so yes it might be possible.

I don't make use of the windows memory tool, so can't comment on how accurate it is. Most of the industry uses Memtest86 for memory checking, certainly most retailers do and the free copy available below will do you fine.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you run that over night and come back to a load of fails, see if you can return it under warranty as most memory is 3 - 5 years minimum if not longer.

Kaine wrote:Memory might explain it. Required data is held in memory, so the CPU can access it. If the memory isn't addressable, I can imagine it'll swap it back to drive space and that in itself could generate all sorts of lag, so yes it might be possible.

I don't make use of the windows memory tool, so can't comment on how accurate it is. Most of the industry uses Memtest86 for memory checking, certainly most retailers do and the free copy available below will do you fine.

http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you run that over night and come back to a load of fails, see if you can return it under warranty as most memory is 3 - 5 years minimum if not longer.
I'm afraid it wasn't, though it fixed bitwig not starting the audio engine. What else could be wrong? I'm not even sure WHERE it's wrong as chocolate doom runs better with the GPU-scaled branch than the software one, yet melda worked properly with gpu turned off.

Try a storage drive test, tools will be available from whoever made your drive.

Past that I'm fast running out of ideas. I'd try a clean install on a spare drive and those tools in order to make sure it's not software. I suspect given the testing so far that it might be something at the OS level, although we don't really want to consider disrupting your current install until that's proven or disproven.

Could be you're inadvertently 'under clocking - check that the windows power scheme is one 'high performance' and that inside it the cpu options are set to max/min 100% and active cooling, and also maybe run cpu-z and make sure your cpu is actually running at the correct speed.

Does your motherboard have onboard intel gfx - if so also try pulling the nvidia card and running with that (presuming you don't have easy access to a spare gfx card)

jdnz wrote:Could be you're inadvertently 'under clocking - check that the windows power scheme is one 'high performance' and that inside it the cpu options are set to max/min 100% and active cooling, and also maybe run cpu-z and make sure your cpu is actually running at the correct speed.

Does your motherboard have onboard intel gfx - if so also try pulling the nvidia card and running with that (presuming you don't have easy access to a spare gfx card)
Unfortunatly, the sabertooth doesn't have a built in card, although I am thinking of putting my old card in as a test to see if the issues are still present, I'll run cpu-z and see what it says...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”