New MacBook Pro

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

sprnva wrote:Scroll up. Jolaff posted pictures of the chargers. They look the same size as usual but with a detachable USB-C cable.
OK, seems also can be used to charge mobile phones and other devices, if it got USB-C compatability
The 87W/61W USB-C Power Adapter offers fast, efficient charging at home, in the office, or on the go. While this power adapter is compatible with any USB-C–enabled device, Apple recommends pairing it with your 15/13-inch MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports for optimal charging performance.

zeusweiler wrote:
chk071 wrote:Looks nice, but... no USB?
It does seem a strange move that by apple, they will most likely sell us an adapter like the iPad Pro got for charging and USB for £40 or equivilant. Not to mention the £40 hdmi adapter they will sell us also.
They love to appear to be at the forefront of industry, and in many ways I guess they are. There innovation has to be admired.
It's a lovely looking laptop, but my Iphone and the other one, they already sold me. and the two iPad minis I have here, oh! and the iPad Pro, that doesn't have any pro apps yet, they already Sold me, could probs do allot of that touch bar shit for an older MacBook I guess. not as sleek tho as this new setup. The iPad Pro will smoke this for general internet browsing and payments anyways I guess.

I'm not really ready for 4 thunderbolt 3 ports tho. The MagSafe charger was amazing and its dropped, like these laptops will be, off of tables etc, better get dat apple care paid lol.
Watching bits of this keynote reminded me why I'm slowly moving back to hardware. the price of these is crazy for someone like myself. £2350 for a intro 15" laptop, apple have officially priced me out the market and I guess I'm done. It will be the hackintosh gracing my studio, the next iMacs will go the same way.
Realistically the entire line should at least be rocking i7's at them prices. I'm not having a go I really do like apple stuff, just can't justify it no more. Now I'm off to sell the iPads and iPhones I guess and build a really powerful hack or buy an octatrack with the money lol.
They are great looking laptops though I have to admit. If I was minted I would buy one.
Hello mate. What setup are you using at the moment. In other words, if you were minted and then bought this Mac, what would you be replacing?

IMG_0266.JPG
I'm thinking of upgrading, and I have the option to buy this one in the screenshot. I'll be mostly using it for video editing jobs, but I also want to use it for music production as well so I'll have to see.

As for the lack of ports, i'll be buying one of these as well to get around it.

https://eshop.macsales.com/preorder/owc ... olt-3-dock
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:borg:

If it's anything like their Thunderbolt 2 docks then you're in for quite a disappointment.

masterhiggins wrote:If it's anything like their Thunderbolt 2 docks then you're in for quite a disappointment.
Can you share some more info on the problems with the OWC dock? I have a Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock and it "mostly" works well. There are some minor problems but overall it's pretty decent ... and reeeallyyy overpriced.

I was considering the OWC or Caldigit dock when I was making my decision but found the Belkin on special and went with that since it's the only official Apple recommended dock (not that that actually means much anyway).

I'm still on the fence over this Macbook pro purchase. I'm going to be paying a lot of money for this, but is it actually worth it for the money when I could buy a much more powerful windows laptop. If I save up $1000 more I could just buy a dell

One thing I've noticed with the Macbook Pro design is that they are really trying to conserve battery life with their build choice. It's a good goal, but when you are a "pro" user who wants a portable workstation then is that even relevant for this amount of money?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new- ... p-3593988/

According to that macworld article, it says that they didn't go with 32GB of RAM because it would eat up battery power quicker. AFAIK you cannot upgrade to 32GB even if you want to, which is something I COULD do with my late-2011 MBP.

Also why not put in a Nvidia GTX1080m? I know they would have to give up on their obsession with making the MBP skinnier and lighter, but still ..

I love OSX, I love FCPX, I love the plug'n'play aspect of a mac (Oh wait nvm I need to buy a bunch of extras for this now :roll: )

Anyhow I'm stuck on what to do. Also the touch bar thing is cool, but it honestly comes across as just gimmicky. This might be better when I actually put it to use in FCPX.

For around the same amount of dough I can buy this instead.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/v0rt3x ... ved/7r8K8d

V0RT3X wrote: Also why not put in a Nvidia GTX1080m? I know they would have to give up on their obsession with making the MBP skinnier and lighter, but still ..
why would they want to put a gaming oriented gpu in it? even the competing 'portable workstations' will go quadro rather than gtx?

the proper 'portable' workstations (z book 15 and 17) are kind of heavy - fine for the intended market (who care what the laptop weighs when you've got a 100s of kgs of other gear shipping around to hang the laptop off), by the time you get to something more comparable to the weight of the mbp15 (z book studio) there's not really and performance advantage.

have you thoought about how important portability really is - if you want real power you're best of with a desktop with a suitably monsterous xeon in it, so many people I know have laptops that sit in their studio hooked up and never get moved

jdnz wrote:
V0RT3X wrote: Also why not put in a Nvidia GTX1080m? I know they would have to give up on their obsession with making the MBP skinnier and lighter, but still ..
why would they want to put a gaming oriented gpu in it? even the competing 'portable workstations' will go quadro rather than gtx?

the proper 'portable' workstations (z book 15 and 17) are kind of heavy - fine for the intended market (who care what the laptop weighs when you've got a 100s of kgs of other gear shipping around to hang the laptop off), by the time you get to something more comparable to the weight of the mbp15 (z book studio) there's not really and performance advantage.

have you thoought about how important portability really is - if you want real power you're best of with a desktop with a suitably monsterous xeon in it, so many people I know have laptops that sit in their studio hooked up and never get moved
It's true the GT1080m is gaming oriented, but it still pushes far more pixels than the one that's in the current MBP if you check out the specs. Of course this means they would have to redesign the entire thermodynamic design of the MBP and this would most likely result in a larger and heavier laptop.

As for portability? I'd rather have a heavier laptop if it can keep up with some desktops in performance. If I wanted a light system I'd buy one of their regular macbooks. Simple as that.

V0RT3X wrote:
IMG_0266.JPG
I'm thinking of upgrading, and I have the option to buy this one in the screenshot. I'll be mostly using it for video editing jobs, but I also want to use it for music production as well so I'll have to see.

WOW! $4.7xx dollars, plus the extra it's about $5.000 for a laptop... :o

Did you won the lottery?
V0RT3X wrote: For around the same amount of dough I can buy this instead.
The fact that, for about the same price, you could buy this incredibly powered and equiped desktop shows how insanely pricey the Macbook is. :borg:
Last edited by fmr on Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

More and more software is turning to the gaming oriented gpu for hardware acceleration. The pro stuff is really only suited to OpenGL for cad/cam. If you use tools from adobe for instance, your better off with the 1080 tbh. Even the cad/cam industry is beginning to lean more and more this way due to cost considerations.

At least last time I checked. Been a year or two.

-cheers

Of course I can't really say about the mobile stuff. IME mobile doesn't make for good workstations. Maybe for music they're good. Dunno.
I've never used a 5 k Mac laptop either btw, maybe they are worth it.

fmr wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:
IMG_0266.JPG

WOW! $4.7xx dollars, plus the extra it's about $5.000 for a laptop... :o

Did you won the lottery?
V0RT3X wrote: For around the same amount of dough I can buy this instead.
The fact that, for about the same price, you could buy this incredibly powered and equiped desktop shows how insanely pricey the Macbook is. :borg:
Yah it's pretty pricey, but that's also the Canadian price. So in USD it's quite a bit less.

As for the lottery, no I just ended up saving my money. My last laptop was from 2012 so It's about time to get a new system. After I'm done with the taxes and shipping my system comes out to $5,748.83 CDN which is a lot of money, but it's worth it i think.

As a bonus If i get the desktop, then once i get more money I'll be able to buy a Intel Core i7-6950X Processor Extreme Edition and pop that in along with some more RAM. Plus maybe another GTX1080 for an SLI config so it should be fairly future proof.

I am thinking of just getting the desktop system and being done with it. I'll have to start using Adobe Premiere instead of FCPX but that's not that big of a deal.

I'm just not so sure I want to stick on the "computer nerd" hat just yet again because it's a lot of work and tweaking. :lol:

So far i'm thinking that the only thing the MBP is good for, is it's portability. Other than that it's just not cut out for what I'll be needing it for, which is 4k video editing.

V0RT3X wrote: So far i'm thinking that the only thing the MBP is good for, is it's portability. Other than that it's just not cut out for what I'll be needing it for, which is 4k video editing.
none of the professional video editors I know work on laptops - they've all got big serious workstations (with rather insane amounts of ram, disk etc).

if you want to avoid the fun and games of custom building there's plenty of off the peg workstation choice from the big 3

of course you could just go for it and get a mac pro - I know the price is scary, but they're damned nice machines (we've got one of the new 'trashcans' and 3 old model 12 cores at work, even the old ones are still pretty damned nice to work on). A lot of it comes down to the time investment it's going to take for you to get comforatable going from final cut to premiere - time IS money

fgimian wrote:
masterhiggins wrote:If it's anything like their Thunderbolt 2 docks then you're in for quite a disappointment.
Can you share some more info on the problems with the OWC dock? I have a Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Express Dock and it "mostly" works well. There are some minor problems but overall it's pretty decent ... and reeeallyyy overpriced.

I was considering the OWC or Caldigit dock when I was making my decision but found the Belkin on special and went with that since it's the only official Apple recommended dock (not that that actually means much anyway).
It was a complete piece of shit. I actually gave it two chances and both experiences were identical.

For some strange reason the stereo output from the dock is considerably quieter than that of the MacBook. It's not my primary sound card, but I do use it for movies and whatnot and found that boosting the gain also boosted the noise. However, that's not the bad part...

My monitor would frequently not wake from sleep when connected to the dock as opposed to connected directly to the MacBook Pro. The most annoying thing was I would get a horrible graphics glitch every time I ran any kind of maintenance (repairing permissions, running maintenance scripts, clearing caches, installing updates). The external monitor screen would split and be almost impossible to use until I restarted the MacBook.

As soon as I reconnected everything to the Macbook's ports the problems no longer existed. I returned it to BHPhoto.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

masterhiggins wrote:
fgimian wrote:

It was a complete piece of shit. I actually gave it two chances and both experiences were identical.

For some strange reason the stereo output from the dock is considerably quieter than that of the MacBook. It's not my primary sound card, but I do use it for movies and whatnot and found that boosting the gain also boosted the noise. However, that's not the bad part...

My monitor would frequently not wake from sleep when connected to the dock as opposed to connected directly to the MacBook Pro. The most annoying thing was I would get a horrible graphics glitch every time I ran any kind of maintenance (repairing permissions, running maintenance scripts, clearing caches, installing updates). The external monitor screen would split and be almost impossible to use until I restarted the MacBook.

As soon as I reconnected everything to the Macbook's ports the problems no longer existed. I returned it to BHPhoto.
I have a VERY similar problem with my Belkin and Sierra. If I run a non-native resolution on my external display (e.g. 1600 x 900), I get almost identical strangeness that you got in that photo upon booting. And like you, it worked 100% perfectly when connected directly to the HDMI of my MBP.

I reported it to Apple, they said that although it's an official accessory, the manufacturer is responsible for testing it. I spoke to Belkin, they said, well the dock was created before Sierra soooooooooooooo .... we can't guarantee compatibility with future OSs.

Morals of the story:

* Belkin clearly don't care about customers
* Purchasing an official accessory from Apple (the Belkin dock is an "official" accessory) means jack
* Other brands (OWC) are also bad
* Everything always works better connected directly to the MBP

This only leaves CalDigit really ....

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”