OSX and Samsung ssd drive

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

By the way, the exact problem is that the hd cable develops micro fractures that is not enough to inhibit spinning hard drives, but the ssds use all the cable can give, so the micro fractures matter to them. They can't be read. I fixed it temporarily by masking the cable in electrical tape, and ordered a new cable.

Hi, I came across this thread as I am researching the topic of potential compatibility issues between Samsung EVO SSD and upgrading to Mac OS Sierra. I use the SSD as my internal boot drive on my Mac Pro and am reluctant to upgrade the operating system. A friend told me there could be compatibility issues (trim?) when upgrading operating systems after the SSD was installed, and that was a few years ago. I use my computer for business 24/7 so I can't afford downtime if there is a real risk of this screwing up.

Your posts are really recent on this topic so I am hoping you can help me understand if there is an issue.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I figured this thread would get all kinds of related and unrelated hits from all over the net. I am by no means an expert or computer science major. All I know is from experience, so keep that in mind and realize I could be wrong about what I say.

In my investigation of this problem on my machine I was researching the OS X trim function. I think it was on apple support forums. That's a trust worthy place to go for information. Appearently OS X has trim functionality, but it's not for all make and models. Keep in mind that the Samsung drives are very popular with people upgrading their macs but they ARE NOT OFFICIALLY supported! It's my belief it's because Samsung are current leaders in commercial market ssd's that are HIGH DENSITY. Vram and triple and quad stacked drives seem to be not supported officially yet. They are still not completely stabile in apples eyes. Mine (850 pro) has been very reliable though! Hope that helps.

I'm going to throw another post out here too because I feel like I need to redeem myself. I was very skepticle about moving up from El Capitan as there have been some problems with software developers keeping up with apples dynamic and fluid OS X. When I immediately encountered my problem with my hard drive I was positive it was an OS incompatibility and I said so.

In dealing with sierra and diving pretty deep into it at this point I have say I've changed my opinion. Sierra is lighter, more organized, and cleaner. Even things like terminal commands have been cleaned up and generally organized. It looks like El Capitan and everything is in it's place but under the hood everything has been cleaned up. This is also appearent in the fact that there hasn't been round after round of upgrades trying to fix holes. It's very clean and stable.

Apple only enables TRIM on drives it supports (i.e. drives it actually ships inside macs) - however you can enable it for any drive (see http://www.howtogeek.com/222077/how-to- ... -mac-os-x/ )

Bigger question is whether you need even really NEED to use TRIM on modern ssds, a few years ago it was essential, but the firmware/embedded controllers have progressed and increasingly TRIM isn't really needed. All TRIM does is let the host OS tell the ssd a sector is now 'free' which in turns aids the drives garbage collection/background free sector erase alogorithm do it's stuff. Worst case if the OS doesn't support it will be write speeds fall over time (drive can't pre-emptively erase blocks so falls back to erase-on-write slowing things down).

Be thankful Apple haven't returned to their practices back in the 90s wrt to supported drives (back in the scsi era) - we used to have to resort to 3rd party software to get the OS to even recognise non-apple drives

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”