g6 HP Proliant server coming on-what can u tell me about CPUs?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Heya,
I am pretty skint,
but my Dell XPS 720 has issues with nVidia video cards, Echo Layla souncard and USB bus.
I am going to be thrifty and get a server for all my needs, and hopefully without soundcard compatibility, black screen video card, and USB bus dropouts issues.
The g6 ProLiant I am looking at has the 1366 cpu socket, and takes 2.
I can get 24 logical cores I think.
What can you tell me about my choice to do here?
I need to spend about AUD600 per system, and maybe get 2 towers and a AUD300 rackmount.
Something like that.
What do you think? Xeon and i7 are possibles cpu wise.
Cheers, Nick

ps- my OS is Win10 Pro, and I will be looking at 48gb RAM or so-
a SSD 500gb system drive, and 2 1 tb hds
pps- I hear about 'b' sockets- this is a socket variation?

I am running on a slightly older Zeon, 32 gig ram, a couple of large SSD's and I have no issues with video (2 monitors) or any other periferals. I have no latency to speak of and sample loading times are lightning fast. The sound is the best that I have ever had, and I go back to the Teac 3340S days. It is all running in a Dell Precision T3600 tower.

Oh nice!
Maybe this is what I'll do then.
I need to learn about sata cables for ssd s.
Does anyone know if I can plug a ssd into this tower?->
http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub ... -c01713519
...and prolly I will go with one kickass tower.
Do I need thermal gel to exchange the CPUs?
I have never installed a CPU,
how do you tell if they're the right way around?

nix808 wrote:Oh nice!
Maybe this is what I'll do then.
I need to learn about sata cables for ssd s.
Does anyone know if I can plug a ssd into this tower?->
http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub ... -c01713519
...and prolly I will go with one kickass tower.
Do I need thermal gel to exchange the CPUs?
I have never installed a CPU,
how do you tell if they're the right way around?
Depending upon the CPU, there will be an arrow or dot you have to line up with the socket. There's plenty of info on-line to show you for the specific CPU you're getting.

And yes, you'll need thermal paste for this. Don't put it on too thick either. The paste manufacturer will tell you the best way to apply it.

If you're upgrading the CPU in an HP, I'd recommend you also upgrade/flash the BIOS. You may need the latest BIOS to make sure it even recognizes the new CPU.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Hey thanks Steve-
got it about the alignment, and paste.
Does anyone know which paste is not conductive, but also good quality?
I like the idea of using the pre-prepared coolers, like with a new CPU

BubbaM-
I was looking at this Precision tower,
man it seems nice.
So these dual socket towers are available on ebay for a reasonable price too.

Are there inherent boot issues with servers?
About how long does it take to boot a server running w10 pro?

nix808 wrote: Does anyone know which paste is not conductive, but also good quality?
Depends... Will you be overclocking? if so, Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme is good.

Noctua NT-H1 is good for 'general' use.

Nice one Hooj-
the Gelid one will be what I use whenever I upgrade a CPU.
Might as well use a good one, it's not very expensive.

I won't overclock, but certainly these quad and hex cores will run pretty hot I think.

nix808 wrote:Hey thanks Steve-
got it about the alignment, and paste.
Does anyone know which paste is not conductive, but also good quality?
I like the idea of using the pre-prepared coolers, like with a new CPU

BubbaM-
I was looking at this Precision tower,
man it seems nice.
So these dual socket towers are available on ebay for a reasonable price too.

Are there inherent boot issues with servers?
About how long does it take to boot a server running w10 pro?
Boot up is instantaneous. I am running all SATA. There is room for a total of six HDD. I installed a large SSD and a medium sized SSD. I decided not to use the RAID system. If you do that, you must disconnect the RAID Controller card and use the built in controller. Of course a new driver must be downloaded to make this switch. This thing is a monster and it's capabilities overwhelm me every day. Neither latency nor CPU overload have yet to rear their ugly heads.

if you really plan to use an HP(E) server make sure to

- only use cpus they mention in their quick spec sheets
- use their own coolers / cpu kits for they are designed to fit air flow brackets and stuff
- upgrade systems rom / bios before changing cpu (well, in most cases you can even do an emergency systems rom upgrade during boot up in case the new cpu(s) are not fully recognized, but I have had some machines that needed special treatment and did not even boot up, especially when switching to some newer manycore cpus)
- not use rackmount units (DL line) in a noise sensitive environment. the towers (ML line) _can_ be somewhat different, but be sure to test is before. these are, after all, servers, and you don't want to put them under your desk under normal circumstances.

cpu kits usually come with pre-applied paste on the (new) coolers but you can still wipe the old grease with those tech alcohol drenched tissue-like stuff, re-apply thermal grease afterwards to the heat spreader and distribute it with some credit card size piece of plastics. the coolers mostly can't be inserted the wrong way because they are keyed to fit. there are lots of manuals how to change everything in a proliant, so normally you can't do it wrong if you follow the instructions.

you focus on G6 because you plan to get them cheap, I assume? I mean, we're at Gen9 right now. we (finally) powered down our last G1 last summer, and I can recommend most of them as long as you chose their bread-and-butter main lines (xy0 where x is not 1 and y is not 2 ;) ). probably I would aim at a G7 model nowadays.

-kylie-

Thanks!
Yeah, I was thinking G6 because of cost.
The 1355 b socket is quite a step down in price from the next one.
I'm in 2 minds now,
and am trying to get my current system working perfect.
I have a stupid 4% overhead on 'system interrupts'.

The other option, like BubbaM has suggested,
is not a server, but a workstsation-
with the same socket.

mmm- I haven't decided if I will get a new system now

Thanks very much for the lo-down on ProLiant

The processors for the workstation or server would be:
x5680 3.33/3.8(turbo) hex core, 12 logical-- as far as I've found to be optimally fast

edit- the other reason I am looking at g6 ProLiant is that I was made aware of them by my Dad's business. I didn't know anything about servers at all until he stored them In our garage. Such impressive things hehe

they have a more-than-decent workstation line as well. the Z6x0 series is an amazing piece of hardware, the Z8x0 even more so. lots of CPUs to choose from. get them refurbished, and if you're heading for a dual cpu setup, don't try to add the second one later. better shift down a little on cpu freq or cores, if money is an issue. put enough memory in. adding later often means higher costs and the risk of not getting the right modules to complement the existing ones.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”