NewAudio workstation processor speed difference

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I want to upgrade my pc and want to know if there is a big difference in speed with the I7-7700k
or the I7 5820 Hex Core. Second one is a bit more expensive also because of the fact that I need another mainboard (Asus X99 pro).

Is the difference in speed notaceable?

Thanks,

Speed, not really. Total bandwidth however, yes.

Your not so much doing things faster, your just doing more things at once. I.e. running more plug ins at the same time.

One is a quad core and one is a hex core. The is about 40% more overhead between the 7700K in the 6800k with its extra cores and that was the chip that replaced the 5820k. The 6800K has about 7% - 10% more overhead than the 5820K in general so I'd say the ballpark figure would be 30% more overhead with a 5820k vs the 7700K.

I run a 5820k and I'm really happy with it.

The major difference between the two CPU - the 7700K is 2 generations ahead of the 5820k. It is more energy-efficient (14nm vs 22nm). Single-thread performance of the 7700K is higher, however the 5820k has 2 more phsical-cores / 4 more logical cores.
Having said that.. you need to know that the 5820k is an overcloking monster. Mine has a water cooling (Crosair H115) and runs at 4.6Ghz (from 3.3) without any issue.

Also worth to mention is the different socket.
The 7700K has a FCLGA1151. That's the "consumer socket".
FCLGA1151 mainboard are cheaper in general, but your lose the "server features" such as 4-channel RAM, more PCIe lanes, ect.
The 5820k has FCLGA2011-3. That the "server socket".
FCLGA2011-3 mainboards are more expensive, but you get server features. Having stuff like the double memory throughput can be really nice, especially when you work with huge sample libraries / have a lot of freezed / pre-sampled lanes.

Probably also worth noting if you're not in a rush for this is that the 1151 socket has already had its refresh this year, where as the 2011-3 is due to be replaced before the year is out.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”