Time to get off Firewire? Where to?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm about to buy a Liquid Saffire 56 (FW only) for $400 is this a sound investment for the future then? You guys are telling me FW is just gonna die out anyways and it sure seems like it.

Turns out that yes, the interface card I bought was just defective. I bought a FireWire 400 cable and used my computer's built-in interface and the Saffire works fine.
Frank_Jaegr wrote:I'm about to buy a Liquid Saffire 56 (FW only) for $400 is this a sound investment for the future then? You guys are telling me FW is just gonna die out anyways and it sure seems like it.
I don't see much future in FireWire generally, but I do expect that adapters and drivers will still be somewhat available for a while since it was used so much for audio and video.

Focusrite's main website kind of hides their FireWire stuff, including the whole Saffire line now. I still chose a (discounted, store demo) Saffire Pro 40 because it's perfect for what I want it to do and less hacky than what I was doing with a Komplete Audio 6. If my next computer can't use it, or the next, I will just deal with that when the time comes.

Gonna pass on it then and just open a line of credit with AMS or Guitar Center and buy a Fireface UFX+. Would rather pay off something for awhile and be future proof than waste 400 dollars now on top of the 2000+ later.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”