Who used HDMI for their computer screen? (compared to the now outdated DVI? )

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is my first time in those waters. My 27" LG (which had the best picture ever) literally broke at the base plate (the plastic snapped right off :x ) and then the subsequent crash of the main part broke ... so even propping it up is unusable. That was DVI.

So I have HDMI, bought a "monitor" (it's really a TV) and it's blurry compared to the other (especially hosts, which is why I went with a 32" (my eyes, my eyes :cry: )

Is HDMI shitty for a computer connection? Or is it possibly just the larger screen where I see the errors more? Most stuff that bugged me at first (like figuring out you need to be in game mode for the mouse to work properly) has been figured out.

All the monitors I looked at had HDMI (to my surprise) so not really sure what to think/do here.
Last edited by incubus on Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

it's not hdmi - I've got pair of monitors off my pc, one is on hdmi other on dvi (card has one of each), picture is identical

Issue is you're using a tv - they apply a huge pile of smoothing/processing by default - if you're lucky you may find it has a 'game' mode that turns it all off, worst case you'll need to get a proper monitor (or at least a tv that's computer friendly)

also I'm presuming your old 27" was fullHD (1920x1080) as is the new TV - if your old monitor was QHD (2560x14400) or the new monitor is only HD ready (1280x720) you would notice a decrease in quality

I use an LG 47" as a main monitor, bought in 2009. I did a lot of research looking for something at that size (42"+) that would work specifically as a monitor, so it would have none of the aliased text and such as issues. I got a model that others had used with success rather than chancing it on a random set.

I sit about 3.5 feet back from it (mixer/keyboard set up in front). Both it and my 26" second monitor are hooked up HDMI and look great.

From what I remember in my research was (cut a bit of slack, it was 8 years ago) the shape and density of the pixels was very important when using a TV as a computer monitor, so I doubt it's HDMI that is causing any issue but rather the panel of the TV.

Indeed, it surely is not hdmi itself causing this.

My tv has VGA and HDMI. On vga the resolution is a crappy 1024*768 with the aspect ratio skewed. On hdmi I get proper 1900*1200.

What is the tv saying the resolution is when you connect hdmi? And is the pc's display properties reporting the same? If not: each pixel will be interpolated (hence blurry)

If you connect it to a laptop: is the lid open or closed? With mirrored screens it will take lowest resolution of both screens. So the bigger one will look blurred.

Get detailed information to get further.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Ok, that gives me some ideas, I'll do more research and let ya know, thanks :)

Oh and no, it's not on a laptop and yes it's 1900x1080

you're not on a mac by any chance - there's a crazy issue with macos that gives terrible picture quality over hdmi

No, PC.

I think I'll just take it back and get the monitor. It has higher resolution and I think this is dodgy.

DisplayPort is the way to go

Keith99 wrote:DisplayPort is the way to go
On laptops maybe yes. If Apple had it their way, Thunderbolt + Lightning cable (essentially displayport through USB-C) is the way to go.

But if it's a desktop pc then you're tied to whatever connectors are on the current graphics card. That's often just two different connectors, hdmi + vga, or dvi with either. Unless you change that card as well.

Get the monitor, incubus. These are designed for what you do. TVs are for further away. Ten years ago I thought: what the heck, I'll get some Wharfedale bookshelf hifi speakers instead of nearfield monitors. Big mistake as well, returned them the next day.

BertKoor wrote:
On laptops maybe yes.
What laptops come with Display Ports? I think HDMI only is the most common thing.

You can use a HDMI to DVI adapter, this will pass the video signal only... at least this is what I heard.

Just plugged in my laptop into my TV, via HDMI. Looks pretty darn good to me. Quite sharp, maybe a tad too dark, but then, that's a matter of setting up brightness/contrast on the TV i think. At the very least, it's light years ahead of plugging in your video card into your tube TV via S-VHS. Now that was blurred and unsharp...

I know a lot of people also game on TV screens, and put 3 of them together, to have more field of vision. Never heard anyone complain that HDMI doesn't offer a sharp picture. What i just noticed though is that there's some lag over HDMI. Maybe you can get rid of that somehow. The movement of the mouse pointer lags a tad behind the mouse movement. Just very subtle, but, noticable.

Numanoid wrote:
BertKoor wrote:
On laptops maybe yes.
What laptops come with Display Ports? I think HDMI only is the most common thing.
At our place everybody has a laptop. Half of them Dell wil HDMI + Mini (micro?) DisplayPort, the others Lenovo with VGA + the same small format DisplayPort connector.

You'll find all sorts in the wild. My old HP had VGA only, the cheap HP of my wife has HDMI only.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”