New Apple iMac Pro - 18 cores, built for the pros

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
iTzPrime wrote: I always find it interesting that PC people try to build a pc that matches it's specs, but don't look outside of the specworld. When i build a PC that is 60cm high and 60 cm high, how does that compare to a all-in-one PC with a display that is really good for colorgrading.
The question is why you assume that people don't compare, or don't want to compare, to a similarly spec'd PC with a similarly spec'd display. Of course there are PC displays of similar quality out there.
because of the form factor. Show me a pc that has a similar form factor, and is cheaper and I am yours.

But comparing a self-build desktop pc with a all in on pc is not that far away from comparing a desktop to a 17 inch laptop

There are also all-in-one PC's. If you believe it or not. ;) Finding one which has exactly the same specs will be difficult of course. And kind of pointless anyway.

iTzPrime wrote: I always find it interesting that PC people try to build a pc that matches it's specs, but don't look outside of the specworld.
This was what I was referring to with '90s era tunnel vision.

CPU speed, RAM and price were 3 out 4 of the most important things to look at when choosing a computer in the 90s.

CPU speed, RAM and price are 3 out 40 of the most important things to look at when choosing a computer in 2017.

It's easy to build a machine that looks outstanding on paper, but is a complete piece of junk IRL.

stratology wrote: CPU speed, RAM and price are 3 out 40 of the most important things to look at when choosing a computer in 2017.
It's easy to build a machine that looks outstanding on paper, but is a complete piece of junk IRL.
I'd be curious to know what the remaining 37 important things to look for and how those choices can lead to a junk computer IRL.

Maybe one of those choices is an abundance of smugness in knowing the choice makes the purchaser so much smarter than PC-purchasing Luddites.
Feel free to call me Brian.

bmrzycki wrote:
stratology wrote: CPU speed, RAM and price are 3 out 40 of the most important things to look at when choosing a computer in 2017.
I'd be curious to know what the remaining 37 important things to look for and how those choices can lead to a junk computer IRL.
I assume 35 of those have to do with looks. :D

I have 2 PCs (one master one slave). If I knew Cubase would run as well on the Mac as it did on PC I'd switch to Mac and keep PC as slave.

Believe me, troubleshooting PCs isn't fun. Just this week I'm having trouble resuming computer from sleep. These kinds of shitty issues can be avoided if I just stuck with a clean, work-only Mac.

BTW a well-equipped PC comparable to a Mac comes to the same cost.

keyman_sam wrote:I have 2 PCs (one master one slave). If I knew Cubase would run as well on the Mac as it did on PC I'd switch to Mac and keep PC as slave.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjU3ISBeTFo
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

keyman_sam wrote:I have 2 PCs (one master one slave). If I knew Cubase would run as well on the Mac as it did on PC I'd switch to Mac and keep PC as slave.

Believe me, troubleshooting PCs isn't fun. Just this week I'm having trouble resuming computer from sleep. These kinds of shitty issues can be avoided if I just stuck with a clean, work-only Mac.

BTW a well-equipped PC comparable to a Mac comes to the same cost.
And who prevents you from doing that? Are stores out of Macs where you live, by any chance?

Regarding your last sentence, it explains why you can't troubleshoot your PC. You know nothing about.
Fernando (FMR)

Some people are just out of their mind with their vision of comparable PC, like guy from this thread that got himself two HD screens to replace 5k...See this all the time, guy finds barely comparable CPU and RAM and then go all low end budget on everything else...
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjU3ISBeTFo
This shows that a well programmed application runs as well in Windows as it runs on Mac (as several posters have been saying - when you open it, it doesn't matter that much which OS it is running on).

It also shows that CPU and RAM DO matter (the more CPU and RAM power you have the more you can do).

AND it shows that OS X is NO superior to Windows (even an OLD and OUTDATED Windows).

AND it shows that price matters (since you can get similar performance in a similar spec'ed machine).

Damn :help:
Last edited by fmr on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Zexila wrote:Some people are just out of their mind with their vision of comparable PC, like guy from this thread that got himself two HD screens to replace 5k...See this all the time, guy finds barely comparable CPU and RAM and then go all low end budget on everything else...
What if 5K doesn't matter to him? If he is going to work with audio, why should he buy a 5K display? Why not buy two less spec'ed displays and have a bigger workspace instead (or save some money)? :dog:

It's all about OPTIONS
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote: This shows that a well programmed application runs as well in Windows as it runs on Mac (as several posters have been saying - when you open it, it doesn't matter that much which OS it is running on).

It also shows that CPU and RAM DO matter (the more CPU and RAM power you have the more you can do).

AND it shows that OS X is NO superior to Windows (even an OLD and OUTDATED Windows).

AND it shows that price matters (since you can get similar performance in a similar spec'ed machine).

Damn :help:
Well it shows that Cubase finally works good on OS X tested on same machine, which wasn't the case till recently.

fmr wrote:
Zexila wrote:Some people are just out of their mind with their vision of comparable PC, like guy from this thread that got himself two HD screens to replace 5k...See this all the time, guy finds barely comparable CPU and RAM and then go all low end budget on everything else...
What if 5K doesn't matter to him? If he is going to work with audio, why should he buy a 5K display? Why not buy two less spec'ed displays and have a bigger workspace instead (or save some money)? :dog:

It's all about OPTIONS
What are you on about, guy makes comparable 5k monitor out of two HD's...What he needs is none of my business, but if you make comparable PC, than make one, not what you think you need.

Zexila wrote:
fmr wrote:

It's all about OPTIONS
What are you on about, guy makes comparable 5k monitor out of two HD's...What he needs is none of my business, but if you make comparable PC, than make one, not what you think you need.
I don't care what he compares or not. It's his choice. If he feels that two HD displays will do the same thing a 5K display does, why do you object?

The display has nothing to do with the PC. The display is a PERIPHERAL, as is the keyboard, mouse, etc. (excepth in the iMac - there it is glued to the computer, unfortunately)

You can use whatever you feel suits, without touching the computer performance. Why do you insist in including the display in the equation?

Do my PC perform better if I connect a 5K display? Or chhange it for 2 HD displays? Would the Cubase you showed in the video perform better it was running in an HD display instead of a 5K display (or the opposite)?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:I don't care what he compares or not. It's his choice.
Than why are you even responding to me, I care when someone who wants to make a point actually make a point, in this case make a comparable PC to prove than Mac's are way overpriced, he failed at that, easy as that.
The display has nothing to do with the PC. The display is a PERIPHERAL, as is the keyboard, mouse, etc.
That all makes final price and it does matter if you are trying to make comparable thing, yet better you can use same peripherals and have even more fair thing. (if it's possible ofc)
You can use whatever you feel suits, without touching the computer performance. Why do you insist in including the display in the equation?
Bacause I'm the guy that said if you make comparable PC, do it properly.
Do my PC perform better if I connect a 5K display? Or chhange it for 2 HD displays?
Never questioned that, you went way south, I'm the guy that said if you are trying to make comparable thing, than do it properly, nothing more, nothing less, stop dragging in me in some pointless arguments I never made or questioned, thank you.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”