Latency Problems - Windows 10 (Latency Mon Analyse)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello :)

last time I posted something I got great help from you :) so I thought I will come to you with my recent problem.
I already searched on this topic, but all the stuff just doesnt work.

I have Latency big Problems with Cubase and some Plugins...

Here is a Video, maybe u can find the error?
Sadly, there is no sound showing up because the programm can't record it.
But if u would hear any sound it would be like a sound with 1- 10 interruptions plus creaking sound per second. (if I use the Plugin PLAY by East West with a reverb inserted... other Plugins such as Spire 1.1 are running quite stable with just really less creaking noises...)
if I am running Latency Mon its getting even worse :(

I have a Steinberg Ur22 mkII interface and set the buffersice to 64. thats quite less i know, but my PC should handle this.

I got a Intel i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHZ (4 core)
and 16 GB Ram DDR 4
Windows 10 and the newest driver for my grafikcard rx480 by AMD

I hope u can help me... I struggle with this for the last 3 weeks and cant find the problem..
I really just wanna make music, but its not possible...

Here is A Video, maybe u can find the Problem:
(in the video I press all the time keys on my Midi Keyboard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfinVhn ... e=youtu.be

Is that QL Piano library stored on a fast enough drive - Maybe it's less latency and more an HD read speed issue ? (possibly - just that I get similar crackling on some of my larger UVI libraries that are stored on my external USB drive ...)

hmm yes I think so... its a intern HDD with 2TB and 7200rpm but to be sure I will install the library separately on a other hard drive.

Hmm yeah if that's the case (Internal drive running at 72000rpm) then that really should be fast enough. If you do increase the buffer size (e.g. to 128 or 256 samples) does the crackling decrease at all ?

i copied the soundlibary to my USB 3.0 HDD and the noise is gone! wow! thank you so much for the hint!!!
seems like the HDD is kind of broken.. but everything else is working fine on it...
maybe I need to get a new HDD for my system :/

Fantastic news ! Perhaps your main drive just needs a good ol' defrag - Try something like the free (but optionally paid for) Defraggler - https://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Drives are defragged automatically these days (after Vista).
I'd have a new SSD...
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote:Drives are defragged automatically these days (after Vista).
I'd have a new SSD...
File fragmentation can still be an issue if not the-previous-fragmentation-type-which-the-name-has-slipped-my-mind. For example windows.edb (the database Windows uses to index files) was split into well over 3000 fragments on my Windows 10 machine until I ran the above app (Defraggler)

mcbpete wrote:
legendCNCD wrote: I'd have a new SSD...
File fragmentation can still be an issue
No it can't.
An SSD has no mechanical part that first needs to move where the data is.
Accessing data needs same time, no matter where the data is.
Actually de-fragmenting an SSD can have a negative effect. Number of write/read cycles is limited, so the controller chip tries to spread data accross the memory, to increase its lifetime (write new file data to a new block, rather than overwriting the exiting). Also the SSD might have multiple channels, so it would be good to split the file into multiple blocks and store it on multiple channels. Makes read/write access faster (access to multiple channels happens in parallel).
De-fragmenting an SSD will negate that, because than files are stored as continuous blocks (which brings no advantage), instead of storing it accoring to SSD-controller logic. This is also the reason why de-fragmentation for SSDs is disabled by default on Windows.

Apologies, my response with to the first line (about drives being automatically defragged these days) rather than the SSD bit. Yeah you're totally right that SSD's dont need to (and like you say - shouldn't) be defragged.

Sometimes I do not understand what's going on...
My noise is back again...
when I hold a chord with any of my synth, the cracking noise repeats almost rhythmically..
This seems weird to me...

But latency moon is still saying to me, that my system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio.. :neutral:

do you have any suggestions what I could try next?

maybe you find something weird in the video I posted?

Video won't play for me here :-/

What's your CPU usage when it crackles? I'm wondering if one of the synth/effects chains are overloading a single core.

Hit "control+alt+del" and click task manager. Check the CPU tab and watch it when it crackles. If one of the cores is peaking around 95% or above, that's probably it.

My guess is that your system cannot handle such low latency. And I don't see why you would need latencies so low.

I am running my RME Hammerfall here with 256 samples, and it is perfectly fine (at least to me). You are taxing your CPU with no apparent reason., Try running at higher buffers (128 or even 256), as was suggested earlier and see if the the crackles disappear.
Fernando (FMR)

mcbpete wrote:
legendCNCD wrote:Drives are defragged automatically these days (after Vista).
I'd have a new SSD...
File fragmentation can still be an issue if not the-previous-fragmentation-type-which-the-name-has-slipped-my-mind. For example windows.edb (the database Windows uses to index files) was split into well over 3000 fragments on my Windows 10 machine until I ran the above app (Defraggler)
Yes, sometimes there are fex. big wav/video files that are not defragged automatically (I think there was a limit how big files the autodefragger goes through).
Few years ago got a mighty perf boost on OSX by defragging the disk where samples were. And years and years ago same on NT4 workstation used for videos.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Kaine wrote:Video won't play for me here :-/

What's your CPU usage when it crackles? I'm wondering if one of the synth/effects chains are overloading a single core.

Hit "control+alt+del" and click task manager. Check the CPU tab and watch it when it crackles. If one of the cores is peaking around 95% or above, that's probably it.

My CPU utilization is around the 14% on every core when it crackles... :?

fmr wrote:My guess is that your system cannot handle such low latency. And I don't see why you would need latencies so low.

I am running my RME Hammerfall here with 256 samples, and it is perfectly fine (at least to me). You are taxing your CPU with no apparent reason., Try running at higher buffers (128 or even 256), as was suggested earlier and see if the the crackles disappear.
I tried it, but even with 512 samples it sometimes crackles ... not as often, but its annoying...
Besides...the latency is too high for me

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”