New Build Help

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey people, going to pull the trigger on a new build. I've got just about all the components selected but am hung up on the case.

Here's what I'm planning so far;

ASUS PRIME Z270-A LGA1151 DDR4 DP HDMI DVI M.2 USB 3.1 Z270 ATX Motherboard

Intel 7th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processor i7-7700K

Scythe SCNJ-4000 Ninja 4 CPU Cooler Heatsink 120mm

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C16 Desktop Memory Kit - Black

EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G2, 80+ GOLD 550W, Fully Modular, EVGA ECO Mode, 7 Year Warranty, Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply 220-G2-0550-Y1

WD Blue 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch Desktop Hard Drive (WD10EZEX)

This is the case I'm looking at;

be quiet! BG006 Silent Base 600 Black Case

How is the ASUS MB? What would be alternatives? I won't overclock, does this CPU fit the bill. The PS comes in higher versions, I'm thinking of going with the platinum version.

Any/ all comments/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Nate.

I've built a dozen or so computers for family and friends using Asus or Asrock MB in most of them without issue.

My current rig is 8 years old and has been running on a Asus P6T6 WS Revolution board, never had an issue.

I was aiming to build a new rig this fall, using the same chip you selected, i7 7700k. I am holding off until after the first of the year to see how the current AMD/Intel battle has been heating up and how that is going to affect prices, etc.

Thanks for the input.

Been going over everything and I'm confident in pulling the trigger. Only addition is a SSD for my OS drive (swore I wouldn't, but...).

Big shout out to Pete Kaine from SCAN for the template and freely given advice. If I lived in the UK, I'd just purchase one of their builds, the minimal markup is more than covered by the services offered. I'm not affiliated with SCAN in any way, just giving credit where due. Besides the personal help, from everything I see Pete is extremely free with neutral advice all over the web. Never spin or sales pitches attached, just facts. A rare thing these days, and something to be commended IMHO.

Done deal.

Thanks for the kind feedback, it's always appreciated.
(and I've just realised that I've responded to another thread of yours on GS too!)

Personally I've been lurking around these boards since way before I started work here so it was always nice to give back. I'm lucky that company policy in general has always been on of being open with it's tech choices and they let us get on with choosing what we want. I wouldn't imagine that I'd be quite so chatty if I was locked into using kit I didn't like. :)

I'll post a full report later.

The build is done, I'm posting from it. It's been running all night, all temps normal and no issues so far. I've got W7 and W10 basic installs, just system drivers and fully updated OS's. I've got the images, also.

Everything went smoothly, no surprises. Hardest part was the parts.

Congrats on finishing your build!

Looking forward to hearing how it runs.

Everything's great, no issues. Very satisfied with the build, humming along nicely. All temps normal, I'm running the i7700k at 4.5, nothing major. Cubase and everything flies right along.

Considering everything, I wouldn't change a thing. It's a solid build. At first, I took the side off the case to see if the fans were working, can't hear a thing. Loudest thing is the optical drive when it spins up, in fact it's the only thing I can hear.

Couple of nits about the case, though. The HDD cage is wracked due to a rivet that intrudes on it's space. Thinking of calling them on that and see what they say. QC missed this one. Another thing is the bottom filter slides out from the back. No real issue, I have the vac right there to clean the screens, cleaning under it is habit anyway. The HDD install is via one side of the case, and the connections on the other. I'd rather it were all on one side. I could route the cables without issue. Small nit, though.

Only other thing is the cooler/motherboard combo. You need to pay attention to the mounting instructions, a couple of different methods of mounting depending on socket. You need low profile RAM, also or it will interfere with the cooler.

If you want to run W7 on this chip, you need a patch so Windows Update doesn't look for the chip iteration. It won't update otherwise.

Thanks again to Pete Kaine from SCAN. The most important part of any build is getting parts that play nice together for the intended use. It's what held me up for a while, I have no issue with the mechanically inclined side of the build, just wanted to make sure I found a good formula. Pete's got good formulas. I'd definitely grab a system from SCAN, no brainer. My build went pretty smooth, but motherboard pricing conflicts and other things took time and effort to sort. Take that into account and the support offered with buying a system and it's a wash for cost, IMHO.

Your build is my build's twin. I have BeQuiet 9000, Asus Z 270 Hero, Kaby 7770K.

I don't see the reason why you would run it at 4.5. Stock frequency is the best. Sorry I overlooked your post- I would recommend M.2 SSD.

I had issue with the build, nothing that world apply to you. Yes, the memory needs to be low profile, this is why I had 2X16Gb, to keep first slot open- hope to put some Optain memory one day.

Did you guys get prebuilt from scan or home build ?

topaz wrote:Did you guys get prebuilt from scan or home build ?
I built my system, but went off a Scan spec. Having done it and seeing what's involved first hand, if I lived in the UK I'd just buy a Scan system. Any markup is a pittance compared to what you get in return.

It's worth the 150 extra ?

topaz wrote:It's worth the 150 extra ?
It is. I'll give you a snapshot of what's really involved in building a system.

First, you have to research the parts and hope the parts you choose will assemble into a working DAW. This means making sure everything is compatible so you get the best performance for your buck. Now you have a list, next step is to find the best price on all the parts. This caused me issues, I had to return parts due to price conflicts and faults/ incompatibilities with a couple of firewire cards and motherboard. This delayed the build by a few days. You order the parts and things like the above happen. All of this is time and aggravation and has to be considered. So, you have all the parts and think assembly will be a breeze. It's not difficult, but if you break/damage anything in the process it's on your dime. It's all built, now you have to install everything. Once everything's installed you have to adjust settings and tune the system. The settings aren't that difficult, but tuning the system is a learning curve. Now, you're done, but the only warrantee/guarantee you have are on the parts. There's no support number to call if you have questions, you have to research everything yourself.

It's even more involved than I make out above. It took me a couple of weeks to get everything perfect so I could capture an image of a pristine install so as never to have to do it all over again. I multi-boot with 3rd party software and getting everything set up there was a task in and of itself. I had to research how to get my SSD properly aligned and how to disable UEFI just so I could install an OS. And on and on.

I can tell you this, if someone offered me $150 to do the same for them and offer support to boot, I'd probably laugh in their face or punch them on the schnozola. I haven't added up my hours and aggravation because I don't want to know the true cost of the build, won't even hazard a guess. I'm happy with the experience of doing it and chuffed at the results. Any extra cost is written off to being able to cross a bucket list item from the slate.

When I say I'm a hard man to please when it comes to purchases and am very careful who I do business with, it's an understatement. Saying that, I'd have no issues doing business with Scan or Pete and would have no problem buying one of their systems.

Thanks for the thorough reply :-)

Right now I am on the fence over a used 12 core Mac Pro with 32gb ram vs a custom built new PC.

Having been running a Mac Pro quad then Mac mini i7 2.6 going back to Windows is a tuff call.

My last PC experience was xp lite, eons ago.

Windows is getting closer and closer to looking like Mac OS, and behaving like it, also. If the Min, Max and Close buttons were on the other side you'd be pressed to tell the difference. :hihi:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”