Strange issue that is completely unrelated to a specific software/device (actually, might be wifi)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks all! Will look into this as soon as the searing pain subsides (boy did I sleep wrong last night :scared: )

What kind of spike? CPU load? Noise?
I hear an ugly, loud blip in my DAW every time my fridge starts a new cooling cycle 8)

On Windows 7 I got problem with Win update spiking the CPU usage to 100%

Just ran a moderate project (well, 4 AT4's pushes things a bit :hihi: ) looped for about 20 minutes with nothing in cubase 9 pro.

I mean it's really not that big if it spikes when closing a project, but still I wanna nail this down. Before I do anything EC mentioned, I'm going to keep opening/closing project and farting around and see if it happens. Usually it's within the first 10 minutes, and then nothing but I haven't recorded anything in real-time either.

experimental.crow wrote:eric wistrand [ ew ] had some advice about USB hubs and Win XP sp1 and sp2 ...
not sure if / how this may apply to Win10 , but it could be worth a look :
ew wrote:
flugel45 wrote:I also seem to recall that SP2 (XP) did something to power management, and there's a setting to disable (or was it enable?) this function that allowed some USB devices to perform better. Worth looking into if you haven't already.
It was SP1 if I remember, but the issue's still there. XP turns on power management to the USB hubs by default; you don't want this.

Go into device manager and right click a USB hub to bring up properties. Under power management, uncheck all. Repeat for each hub and reboot. All your USB devices will thank you.

ew
It's only a guess, but under win 10 (and I'm assuming back to vista) it's

Power management/advanced settings/usb settings/usb selective suspend settings/and change to disable. I'll try it, it's not a laptop so it shouldn't hurt.

Or even better yet......

I did have one spike today (bitwig) and of course can't trace it because dpc lc is a one-trick-pony.

BUT......... most of the day I've been playing guitar, opening crazy projects, doing stupid things to get it to spike, NADA.

So, for now the conclusion is that some hints and tricks have helped, but hasn't SOLVED this issue.

Maybe it is due to virus signature updates by your AV.

Another one that I should have checked first, but the stock one with win 10 has never given me trouble before. Still something remedial that I should check.

Latency Check won't tell you anything. You need to run LatencyMon while playing a looped project for at least a half hour to find out where the hiccup is. Post the full report.

You should have autosave disabled in Cubase. Suspend VST3 when not used should be unchecked too, for a test.

Make sure the performance scheme is set in Windows and go through all devices in Advanced and set to never sleep and highest performance.

In BIOS, disable any CPU stepping/throttling options.

Still going better with those changes, have no clue which ones are doing what.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”