One computer, lots of doubts...

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Nothing too deep, just that bargains abound,
and complimenting your spending discipline,
over the years.
Cheers

Yeah, I try to keep it light :hihi:
Since you mention Diva, I think my new computer would run at least about half a dozen instances if I wanted to, which I don't, though. I will stick to Sylenth1, of which I could probably run 3 dozen instances, if that made any musical sense 8)

Do computer components no longer ship with screws?! Motherboard zero screws, case zero screws, etc. :?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Do computer components no longer ship with screws?! Motherboard zero screws, case zero screws, etc. :?
i've never received any without the requisite amount. sounds like you got screwed. hyuk, hyuk, hyuk!

Hehe, I don't think I got screwed. It seems screws are simply not included anymore like they used to be.
As if those 50 cents for 4 or 6 screws were a problem...

fluffy_little_something wrote:Hehe, I don't think I got screwed. It seems screws are simply not included anymore like they used to be.
As if those 50 cents for 4 or 6 screws were a problem...
screws should be with the case (not the motherboard), and in all my years of building machines I've never had a case turn up without the required screws (and standoffs etc). I'd talk to your supplier...

jdnz wrote:
screws should be with the case (not the motherboard), and in all my years of building machines I've never had a case turn up without the required screws (and standoffs etc). I'd talk to your supplier...
+1

Carrying on from the off-topic posts in the AMD thread:

Will Windows Update also download new chipset, audio codec, graphics card and such drivers?

Does the AIMP audio player sound better than Winamp or is only a matter of features? I mean, is the mp3 algorithm still being improved or is the Winamp 2.95 sound still up-to-date?

fluffy_little_something wrote:Will Windows Update also download new chipset, audio codec, graphics card and such drivers?
Not to my knowledge

fluffy_little_something wrote:Does the AIMP audio player sound better than Winamp or is only a matter of features? I mean, is the mp3 algorithm still being improved or is the Winamp 2.95 sound still up-to-date?
MP3 is as we know, discontinued.

If you want better audio quality, it is better to move up to lossless like FLAC. With storage space now so cheap, and computers so fast that they make a FLAC copy of a CD in mere minutes, that is the way to go.

The first thing I do when buying a CD now is backing it up to FLAC.

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:Does the AIMP audio player sound better than Winamp or is only a matter of features? I mean, is the mp3 algorithm still being improved or is the Winamp 2.95 sound still up-to-date?
MP3 is as we know, discontinued.

If you want better audio quality, it is better to move up to lossless like FLAC. With storage space now so cheap, and computers so fast that they make a FLAC copy of a CD in mere minutes, that is the way to go.

The first thing I do when buying a CD now is backing it up to FLAC.
Discontinued regarding development, I suppose. My favorite online music store still sells everything at least as mp3, some also in other formats. But mp3 still seems to be the standard.

I have come to understand that m4a is way better than mp3 now.

An m4a file at 64kbps sounds as good as an mp3 at 128kbps.

Just checked a random album I like on my online store:
- 32 kbps mp3 + 32 kbps m4a together €8,72
- 16 bit, 44.1 flac €10,32

Individual songs from that album, €1,09 vs €1,29

Nearly all mp3 decoders are 'accurate enough'. Any differences you find are more likely to be little conveniences. For instance, the mpg123 decoder in Foobar allows things like sample accurate gapless playback assuming your mp3s have been encoded properly (i.e., with LAME). mpg123 is indeed the decoder used by the LAME project, so you can guarantee excellent quality there given that most MP3s are encoded with LAME these days. Foobar will also allow bit-perfect playback via ASIO, WASAPI, or the Kernel Streaming component if you're a hyper-audiophile who considers Windows' audio mixer/subsystem a potential source of distortion or inaccuracy.

Really, it's all about using what you like though. I certainly wouldn't go back to Winamp after making the switch about 5 years back for what it's worth. The built-in audio conversion tools are a godsend for me given how often I go between flac and WAV.
Numanoid wrote:I have come to understand that m4a is way better than mp3 now.

An m4a file at 64kbps sounds as good as an mp3 at 128kbps.
I don't think this is a particularly useful metric, as the only sensible course of action in a world of broadband connections, large hard drives, and online shops offering 320 encodes is to strive for absolute perceptual transparency to the original. Once you get up to v0 (approx 250 kb/s variable bitrate) or 320 bitrates, mp3 generally performs just as well as other codecs in listening tests. It's only in the edge cases which break the format itself where we see a difference.

MP3's deal breaking artifact is pre-echo, an artifact that more modern formats like ogg and AAC are 'fundamentally' better at suppressing by design. Hence we see the general rule that: if it sounds bad at v0 (or even v2 if I'm pushing the boat out) or thereabouts, it's probably going to sound bad at 320 too. I always see audiophiles talking about 'dulled highs' and 'less openness' and other wooly shit, but I never see anyone talk about pre-echo, by far MP3's most obvious, stand-out artifact. If your encodes feature obvious pre-echo, or they're the artifacts you hear in your existing library, it's time to move to a new codec. I've only once been able to successfully double-blind this on a track of my own that contains abrupt transitions from silence to broadband noise, although hearing is perfectly normal and unexceptional.

As for MP3 being "discontinued", so what? Fraunhofer ungraciously declared it dead coincidentally at at the same time their patents expired and they couldn't make any more money from licensing and vague patent lawsuits, but what did they even contribute since the early 90s? Sure, they released the first decoder and were responsible for part of of the initial spec, but all the improvements that have allowed MP3 to stay competitive over the last 20 years have come from the LAME project (notably a new psychoacoustic model and short window tuning to reduce pre-echo).

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see more hardware and market support for modern codecs like ogg, AAC, and Opus (the current king of lossy audio compression), but just about every online store other than Apple's continues to offer MP3 + FLAC/wav as the typical download option so it's gonna be with us a while yet.

cron wrote:As for MP3 being "discontinued", so what?
I am not dissing MP3, when converting my CDs for my mobile phone my main modus operandi is still to use audiograbber to make 192 kbps mp3 files 8)

But I think it is good to also have options, either m4a or FLAC.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”