how to Limit the volume that comes through my headphones with hardware or software...?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My DAW volume and Windows system volume can be far apart.
This means if I'm not careful I get an extra Db shock when I close my DAW and don't remember to turn down the volume when I play an online video for example.
Obviously this is not good for my ears.

Is there a hardware volume limiter that can fit between my external sound card and my headphones and will limit the volume to a certain Db?
Or, maybe there's some software that can sit somewhere and control things.

(Reaper DAW uses ASIO4ALL when its active, but ASIO4ALL goes away once I close Reaper).

This control is called a volume knob. Normally you'd have control of the amplitude coming directly from the headphone amplifier. If not, the hardware you're using is garbage.

You should be using an external amplifier (you can get ultra-high quality 19" amps for <$200) and external headphone monitoring amps. Amplifiers often come with both in one single height 19" unit while many even combine digital inputs so you can eliminate external interfaces and just use digital I/O directly.

What I'm using now for example is an ultra-low quality desktop monitor with a headphone amp included. The digital audio is transmitted via HDMI to a codec chip which is very likely to be identical to those used in mid range audio interfaces. High quality video sources (for the HDMI output) often include digital spdif inputs with near zero latency (on top of your buffer latency) which can be connected internally or via software. The monitor has a volume control which I use to set the maximum output amplitude. When adjusting this you should use a 1 kHz square at 0 dB output with all your digital gain controls set to unity.

You can then use software to reduce the level where desired with the knowledge that it is impossible for your system to ever produce a level higher than the maximum you set previously.

Any device which allows software override of the main amplitude control is guaranteed to be low-grade consumer garbage. Do not use hardware with digital/software volume control. If it isn't either 1) a physical knob, potentiometer or 2) buttons on the device that set a value inaccessible from anywhere else in the system - that is bad.

It's similar to trying to secure an internet connected system with a top-secret database on it. The only secure way to handle this is to put the system in a room where it is fully isolated (no external connections whatsoever) and lock the ****ing door, then throw away the key.
Free plug-ins for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Xhip Synthesizer v8.0 and Xhip Effects Bundle v6.7.
The coder's credo: We believe our work is neither clever nor difficult; it is done because we thought it would be easy.
Work less; get more done.

Or instead of that belittling comment, ASIO4ALL is independent of any/all monitoring options. In other words, the master volume is the ONLY way to control it. And that sucks ass with dingleberries. The only reason I know is because with my lappy I'd like to use it, but it's too insane to control. So I use the wasapi option with shitty latency.

Computers: 2017 might as well be 2007.

I mix always with a limiter set -10 dB ceiling in the master bus.
The trouble with just.bringing down the volume is of course, that some sounds, e.g. synth presets, may sound really low, while some sounds/effects may play really loud.

The root of this problem is that pesky Loudness War. Everything online is mastered to single-digit rms figures. If you then try to use a daw, the loudness difference is staggering.

Maybe in the windows audio mixer you can lower the volume of your internet browser. Takes a bit searching but you should be able to control volume of each program.

Another solution is to buy an audio interface for daw usage only and all other apps go through builtin audio.
If you then add a mixer (hardware) you get full control back.

In short: a limiter for windows audio does not exist.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I feel your pain!
The Peavey HB2 was a headphone amp with limiter; some dealers still stock it.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

A simple attenuation pad circuit can limit the maximum amplitude without adding another volume control to the signal path.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”