Windows 10 - Fall Creators update (1709) - experiences

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:Note though that you NEED the updates to be able to install the big, half-yearly updates... you need a fully updated system for those, otherwise it will rather CAUSE problems, then solve those.
Obviously that is not the case :wink:

It is. But, hey, your computer.

The only update that won't work is the service pack 3 for my ancient Word XP. But Word works flawlessly the way it is, so I couldn't care less about that update. And now I can hide it from WU.

Any Windows 10 Ableton users with the LoopBe Virtual Midi Driver ? Since the fall update I've had to disable the latter as it was causing BSOD whenever I launched Ableton with the stop code: BAD_POOL_HEADER

First time I think an application launch has caused a BSOD for me since probably my XP days....

chk071 wrote: Note though that you NEED the updates to be able to install the big, half-yearly updates... you need a fully updated system for those, otherwise it will rather CAUSE problems, then solve those.
You don't though.I (manually) updated a computer from 1607 to 1709 without problems.Microsoft changed this with Windows 10.
The Update order in Windows 7 was just horrible.
In Windows 10,parts of the OS are simply replaced that's why people have sometimes problems with new installed drivers from Microsoft.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

mcbpete wrote:Any Windows 10 Ableton users with the LoopBe Virtual Midi Driver ? Since the fall update I've had to disable the latter as it was causing BSOD whenever I launched Ableton with the stop code: BAD_POOL_HEADER

First time I think an application launch has caused a BSOD for me since probably my XP days....
Did you try to re-install?
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

I only use LoopBe for LKBridge/UBridge which I super rarely use so I've just uninstalled it for the time being.

mcbpete wrote:Any Windows 10 Ableton users with the LoopBe Virtual Midi Driver ? Since the fall update I've had to disable the latter as it was causing BSOD whenever I launched Ableton with the stop code: BAD_POOL_HEADER
No problems here. BAD_POOL_HEADER usually indicates a RAM or driver issue. Try reinstalling LoopBe. If that doesn't work reinstall Ableton.

I had a big batch of updates come through last week then last night got 1709 (I like the way Microsoft now follows the Ubuntu version numbering scheme...). So far, apart from its consistently annoying habit of replacing my desktop background image and losing several file explorer preferences, I've not seen any problems. I've started and tested Reaper with my full drumkit load (~30Gb now...) and MuLab and both still work.

(At some point my Echo AudioFire ASIO driver will no longer work for Reaper, either, I'm sure... ASIO4All is currently rescuing MuLab and Stagelight. This seems to be down to what the application builder rebuilds, rather than the OS, though, so it'll depend on when something breaks in the library code for Reaper, I guess.)

Every thing works here except I lost my 2nd monitor until I "restarted" then it would work until I booted up again. I then turned fast load off in power settings to see if that helped and it works fine now.

Had issues here.

I updated on Day One. I have 2017 computer, kaby lake, so it was new enough to start downloading update soon as I used Check for Updates function. I lost internet when it was at about 30% downloaded (the entire network- all computers) so it was sitting there for a while, then Internet came back and it finished downloading and installing.

The first major problem was that computer would not shut down- instead, it would go to Log Off and come back to Log In screen. It felt like Buttons Settings got massed up- it also would not sleep- also this computer was set to Sleep Never, but manual Sleep at Start button did not work. I found out that Fast Boot some how got enabled in Windows.

There is Fast Boot in BIOS- I had it disabled. I thought I did not have fast Boot enabled, but when i checked settings- it was enabled! So I disabled it and it solved the problem.

I had Start button not working for short time- Press Start would make Nothing happen- would take many clicks for Start to open. Solved after few restarts.

I had to reauthorize Omnisphere and Addictive Drums and Keys.

No problems here. Is Microsoft edge good now?

Works after fixing the following issues:

- re-authorize Addictive Keys
- re-installation of ASIO & Patchmix Software for E-MU 0404 PCIe

Gotta reauthorize all my Tracktion Software Company stuff (pita)... StudioOne , The Glue , Ezdrummer2 , Valhalla stuff all seem good ... I guess it's like a new OS .

Hi

Just curious - I am still on WinXP!!!

How much disc space (roughly) does Win10 (including this latest 1709 update) take up?

Many thanks

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”