Dual Monitor Question

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whats needed for dual monitors with win10,I only have 1 HDMI out on my laptop.Can dual monitors work off that with a splitter of some sort?

just buy a higher resolution screen.

ere2learn wrote:Whats needed for dual monitors with win10,I only have 1 HDMI out on my laptop.Can dual monitors work off that with a splitter of some sort?
You only need one extra screen if you're on a laptop ...

The best options i could find were a Lenovo DP to Dual DP & a Icybox MDP to Dual HDMI.I'll need more adapters which ever way I go

@thecontrolcentre - I use that sometimes but will prefer two external monitors

@wickfut - Was thinking about that,but got a good deal on a 2nd monitor

Let's answer your original post in more detail.
Whats needed for dual monitors with win10
Multiple video outputs, which are usually a part of a GPU pcie card
I only have 1 HDMI out on my laptop.Can dual monitors work off that with a splitter of some sort?
Yes. you can run dual monitors off a splitter, but you will have the same image on both monitors. I'm guessing this isn't the intended outcome that you require though?
ere2learn wrote:The best options i could find were a Lenovo DP to Dual DP & a Icybox MDP to Dual HDMI.I'll need more adapters which ever way I go
You have HDMI not DP, don't you? Sometimes they're just not compatible. For eg. my GPU can run a HTC Vive from both its HDMI and its DP but not from a DP -> HDMI adapter where it doesn't seem to like high resolutions @ high refresh rates.
ere2learn wrote: @wickfut - Was thinking about that,but got a good deal on a 2nd monitor
So I'm going to sound like a complete arsehole here (because I probably am a huge complete arsehole in real life)
but you only have 1x HDMI port... so it depends on if you call a "woo! I got a cheap monitor but I can't use it for the purpose I wanted" a good deal
Last edited by wickfut on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

From the icy manual
CY BOX DisplayPort graphics splitter lets you combine two HDMI monitors as one display on a miniDIsplayPort connection, at a maximum resolution of 3840x1200@60 Hz, to make the ultimate wide screen desktop. This graphics expansion module can also clone your primary display and function as a 2 Port HDMI Video Splitter.

ere2learn wrote:From the icy manual
CY BOX DisplayPort graphics splitter lets you combine two HDMI monitors as one display on a miniDIsplayPort connection, at a maximum resolution of 3840x1200@60 Hz, to make the ultimate wide screen desktop. This graphics expansion module can also clone your primary display and function as a 2 Port HDMI Video Splitter.
Does your laptop HDMI accept displayport? If yes then go for it. If no then it's £100 down the drain to see some flickering green and purple images.

You'll need to know what type of HDMI your laptop has and what version of DP is needed for adapters. Older HDMI 1.1 I think max out at 1920x1080 and aren't compatible with DP.
Last edited by wickfut on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes got a display port not a mini tho,will need a converter

ere2learn wrote:Yes got a display port not a mini tho,will need a converter
so why does your first post say you have one hdmi port?

I have a couple of laptops here that I can use,would have preferred the HDMI one

god help us all.

The route i could go is,1 VGA & 1 HDMI from the same laptop,whats the resolution on VGA

ere2learn wrote:The route i could go is,1 VGA & 1 HDMI from the same laptop,whats the resolution on VGA
wait, so you also have a VGA too ? ha ha

it depends on the laptops gpu. I think it maxes out at 2560x1600 or something, although it might not be pretty and have really low refresh rates.

Maybe you have a desktop that could also just magically appear?

Monitor should be here Friday hopefully,so I'll try the few different options then

wickfut wrote:
Maybe you have a desktop that could also just magically appear?
Haven't had a desktop since 98

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”