Anyone Can Hack MacOS High Sierra Just by Typing "Root"

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

AnX wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: apple :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way too much panic.... unless you let strangers into your house to use your computer its fine.... i'd be more worried about all the stuff that needs "fixing" whenever you update
Unfortunately, there's a thing called a network connection. Might be called a remoteLogin or something. iForget, after all. Then again, only having Mac envy, I have no idea whether or not you can block remote logins on a Mac.

Are IOS devices are also affected by this bug? If so, maybe the "OS" stands for "Oh Shıt!" (Sorry; I just couldn't resist the cheap joke.)
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

Jafo wrote:
AnX wrote::clap: :clap: :clap: apple :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way too much panic.... unless you let strangers into your house to use your computer its fine.... i'd be more worried about all the stuff that needs "fixing" whenever you update
Unfortunately, there's a thing called a network connection. Might be called a remoteLogin or something. iForget, after all. Then again, only having Mac envy, I have no idea whether or not you can block remote logins on a Mac.

Are IOS devices are also affected by this bug? If so, maybe the "OS" stands for "Oh Shıt!" (Sorry; I just couldn't resist the cheap joke.)
Doesnt work remotely. You have to physically do it on the machine. Then you can instal malware to remotely control it. Hence, no need to panic.

BertKoor wrote:
chk071 wrote:Doesn't work for german Macs.
Only sort of... You need to type "Wurzel" instead of "root" for the user id :lol:
lol :D

Can't confirm it myself, but, I read on another forum that it shouldn't work on German Mac's, for whatever reason, no idea.

PurpleSunray wrote:I'm no Apple user - so can someone give inside on all the fuss on this?
There is a root account that has an empty password, so you can login as root with empty password.
That is same on my Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora & co. If root account has empty password, I can login as root with empty password.
What's the bug on this?
Pretty sure on those that by default the root account is locked until you set a password. On OSX it should be disabled until you enable it. With this Apple issue, it sounds like the root account is enabled because you try an empty password.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Pretty sure on those that by default the root account is locked until you set a password. On OSX it should be disabled until you enable it. With this Apple issue, it sounds like the root account is enabled because you try an empty password.
omg :dog: thx ..

(this really sounds like Apple at its best.. dude, we need a root account for that, but it's not enabled. Should we ask user to enabled it (with password)? nah, bad user experience, don't ask user.. but create a root account with empty pass instead lol )

AnX wrote::Way too much panic.... unless you let strangers into your house to use your computer its fine....
Some people use them at work. And thanks to the MacBookPro NOT having a hole to fit a Kensington lock into it :tantrum: you have to take it with you wherever you go anyway. So indeed, a non-issue.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

patch from Apple is available aldready, at least they are fast on fixing it :o

Ok well I fixed mine by password protecting my Root account.

Still going to download the security fix by Apple though.
:borg:

Someone got fire ?

Jolaff wrote:Someone got fire ?
Lol probably.
:borg:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”