need a good PCI card

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ive been using the m-audio 1010lt, i guess its giving me problems using it as main card. i might need something with better asio drivers.

any suggestions>?

Second hand RME 9632, ESI got some, MAYA or something.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:Second hand RME 9632, ESI got some, MAYA or something.

would i be able to use that rme as my main vst proccesing card and us the m-audio just for like inputs and outputs?

maybe like asio?

zoogoo wrote:
Zexila wrote:Second hand RME 9632, ESI got some, MAYA or something.

would i be able to use that rme as my main vst proccesing card and us the m-audio just for like inputs and outputs?

maybe like asio?
I think ASIO is limited to one device. All RME products though can be combined.

But think if using WDM it might work as in your case.

zoogoo wrote:would i be able to use that rme as my main vst proccesing card and us the m-audio just for like inputs and outputs?
The audio interface doesn't process VST plugins, they are processed on your computer's CPU. What you need is an audio interface with high quality drivers, and enough inputs and outputs for your use case. I guess you mean PCIe cards instead of PCI, as you have a new computer build? If you're considering RME, also check out a second hand RME HDSPe AIO ;), a stellar PCIe interface. With appropriate input and output modules, if you need more connections. Might very well be overkill, but it's one heck of an interface, low-latency-wise.

What features do you need your soundcard to have?
Amazon: why not use an alternative

i have been having problems with the sound buffering, so most important i need a a good card and even better drivers. I would like to have a lot of input output options.

I think i can run a separate daw for recording and use the m-audio 1010lt cards i currently have. But i would like to have a card on my main production system that wont pop and click anymore when i have high amount of computer processing.

maybe im thinking about this the wrong way, i assumed a better card would fix this buffer problem. these cards are very old.

my build inst totally new

i-7 3770
16 gb ddr3

im not sure the route i should be taking

i was looking at this product

RME Hammerfall HDSP 9632
looks like you can hook it up to a relatively cheap adat converter, behringer makes one.

any thoughts?

With a 3770 your motherboard is likely native PCI Express so you should be looking for a PCIe card instead of PCI. While you may have PCI slots they're probably not native and are instead connected via a bridge chip. This can cause issues with some cards and might be the reason for the problems you're having now.
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote:With a 3770 your motherboard is likely native PCI Express so you should be looking for a PCIe card instead of PCI. While you may have PCI slots they're probably not native and are instead connected via a bridge chip. This can cause issues with some cards and might be the reason for the problems you're having now.
what does that mean not native? your saying PCI is an old technology?

so what kind of PCIe cards do you recommend? something with a good driver. i havent really found anything professional except the RME.

I don't have any first-hand experience with PCIe sound cards as I use external USB interfaces but you can't go wrong with RME. Their drivers are legendary but they do cost a bit. Maybe someone else can chime in with some more advice or suggestions.
Image Image Image Image

Could it be youre getting pops and clicks because youre trying to run to many realtime audio processes?

It could be your PC setup.
A common issue is that Windows power management hasnt been set to 'performance', found under the Control Panel.

What are you able to run and at what point do you get pops and clicks?
I.e. tell us what Daw youre running and exactly what synths, effects, audio tracks and the quantity of each of those.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Could it be youre getting pops and clicks because youre trying to run to many realtime audio processes?

A common issue is that Windows power management hasnt been set to 'performance', found under the Control Panel.

I.e. tell us what Daw youre running and exactly what synths, effects, audio tracks and the quantity of each of those.
\
i have a completely other thread about this. ive done all of the above, power management and everything.
Its the audio process buffer when i run too much stuff.

I thought it was a new build issue, but i returned a perfectly good computer. Now im thinking its my old 12 year old soundcard. idk

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=500288

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Could it be youre getting pops and clicks because youre trying to run to many realtime audio processes?

@VariKusBrainZ is right: the pops and clicks are probably because of your PC configuration; that kind of problem is rarely from audio card drivers.

And PCI is a fairly old technology. PCIe is newer and faster, but there aren't a lot of audio interfaces left for PCIe, either.

All that said, I know you're having trouble with Ableton Live, and you've been asking for help with that in another thread. I also know that some people there suggested you get a new audio interface, but from what I've seen in that thread, the problem really isn't the audio interface. Your system/computer still isn't optimized, even though several people have asked to see what you have running and have offered suggestions on how to optimize the computer. Unless and until you know your system is optimized (which is free), spending money on an audio interface won't really help.

Steve
Last edited by planetearth on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Duplicate post.
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”