High pitched whining sound

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm getting an annoying high pitched whining noise. This is a dedicated DAW PC that is running Windows 10. The audio interface is a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. I only use this PC to play pianos in either UVI Workstation or Kontakt. The whining noise is there even before I launch any application. And it's also there when the volume is completely turned down on the Komplete Audio 6 interface. The speakers are pretty much at my ear's level and the sound is definitely coming from them.

At first I thought I might have a bad speaker wire or audio cable. But I recently replaced all the cables and the noise still persists. The biggest thing I've noticed is that if I do something on the PC that "works" the hard drive like download a file or install an update, the sound will stop completely while the drive is working. But comes right back after the process is done.

Does anyone know what else I could check?

Thanks,
-Greg

sounds like a rf leakage issue - where is the KA6 (sitting right on top of the pc - if so move it), what is the cable between the KA6 and the PC like (ideally want it as short as possible - or if it's long ferrite cores on each end can help a bit).

Thanks for the reply. The KA6 is sitting on a desk and not directly on top of the PC. The cable between the KA6 and the PC is a USB 2.0 cable that came with the KA6. I think it's about 5 foot long. Should I look at getting a better shorter USB cable?

I turned the monitors off (M-Audio BX8s) and plugged in a set of headphones directly to the phones output on the KA6. The sound is crystal clear through the headphones. Something is interfering with the monitors for sure.

Use balanced cables to connect the monitors to the KA6.
Image Image Image Image

I'm using balanced cables. Here's the ones I'm using: http://a.co/8ZovKaq

Weird. Sounds like the speakers themselves are picking up interference? What happens if you unplug the cables from them?
Image Image Image Image

I discovered what the problem was. As I was going to unplug the two monitors I noticed I had an auxiliary input being used by another source that was unbalanced. These M-Audio monitors have an extra input on them. I had forgot that I had plugged another separate computer into that source. When I unplugged it - the whining noise went away.

Thank you for eventually leading the way to solve this annoying issue.

sprnva wrote:Weird. Sounds like the speakers themselves are picking up interference? What happens if you unplug the cables from them?
can still get RF leaking in to the amps in the speakers direct - that's why I said disconnect the cables and see if they whine with nothing attached but the PC active - and then try them with the speaker cables hooked up at the monitor end but disconnected from the KA6 (see if it's the balanced cables are picking up noise)

the noise being high pitched and varying with what the PC does means the source has to be the PC itself (not uncommon) but it's a matter of systemically tracing things to find where in the signal chain it's getting in

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”