Internet Anywhere

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd like to be online while being outside/travelling, and not having to rely on wireless spots from other places like coffee shops, book stores, etc.

I think there are atleast two ways to do this.

1. Mobile Hotspot with a smart phone plan -- turn on mobile hotspot in device settings on smart phone and a labtop will be able to connect to the internet through the phone, using your phone's bandwidth. There must be close proximity though.

2. Something called Broadband Card Rentals - an external dongle like usb network connector thing that plugs in via usb and is pay as you go for bandwidth.

Right now I'm using the first method and seems to go okay.

Anyone have luck with either or these, prefer one or the other, or know another way, please share :tu:
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I think number 1 is your best bet.

1 and 2 are the same thing, more or less. It’s just that one has voice included and the other hasn’t.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Depends how much bandwidth you need. Here in the UK at least phone companies put quite strict limits even on higher priced plans for mobile tethering - probably so they can sell the USB dongles/mobile broadband. :x

Same here... it's too keep traffic low. Bandwidth is quite an issue with mobile broadband

Both work. It's a simple sim card you put in to that usb connector or directly into your laptop/tablet/what ever supports it.

I use the first method. I have 21Mbit internet 10€/month and I share the internet between my phone and laptop via usb cable.

IF my laptop supported it, I'd prefer to stick that sim directly into my laptop since using your phone as modem, slowly kills the battery of the phone. Heating issues etc etc.

Interesting. If I'm able to connect fine most places using mobile hotspot, I'll probably consider upgrading to unlimited data plan from teltik for $40. It's cheap since its a business account. Right now, I'm paying 20 for 2 GB and unlimited text/call and mobile hotspot.

In addition, an unlimited bandwidth account might not apply to mobile hotspot. I see another option for $65 that says explicitely unlimited mobile hotspot...

I was curious to know if perhaps the dongle method might have a stronger network, ie better connectivity/faster, in case the mobile hotspot doesn't pan out well. Seems its more or less the same thing :)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Note that your smartphone*s battery will drain quicker, when you set it up as a mobile hotspot. I don't know how much it really amounts to, but, there's more drainage for sure. Maybe it IS a better idea to use a mobile dongle indeed.

chk071 wrote:Note that your smartphone*s battery will drain quicker, when you set it up as a mobile hotspot. I don't know how much it really amounts to, but, there's more drainage for sure. Maybe it IS a better idea to use a mobile dongle indeed.
Before the network I'm on (3) clamped down on it a few years back ( :x ) I was on an unlimited tethering plan and used to use the phone loads for home internet (faster than my shite phone line 'broadband') Had to keep it on charge though as it would totally drain it within a couple of hours. Might be better with newer phones mind. It also used to get very very hot.... :scared: :scared:

chk071 wrote:Note that your smartphone*s battery will drain quicker, when you set it up as a mobile hotspot. I don't know how much it really amounts to, but, there's more drainage for sure. Maybe it IS a better idea to use a mobile dongle indeed.
I should probably look into getting a new battery for the laptop since I'm only getting out 2 hours, my OnePlus 3T is getting 8 hours, however.

TTU Youtube

For phone tethering, I've had good luck using PdaNet+, connected by USB. Pretty much all phones these days have WiFi tethering locked down so you have to pay your carrier extra to use the hotspot functionality, but over USB, you can often tether without paying for any special service.

Anyone using a hotspot booster? At the really cool spots, often I get no phone signal. It would be nice if I can somehow extend the range.

Can boosters connect via usb on laptop or is it tied the phone? I think I would prefer the convenience if it somehow connected via usb like one of the mini dongle things.

Edit* Actually the price for these boosters dampens my interests, hmm, probably best to just be happy with the mobile hotspots I can get.

TTU Youtube

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”