Windows dead. Reinstall imminent. What happens to my plugin licenses (iLok)?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

GaryG wrote: That's the issue I had, hard drive crash meant I couldn't deactivate the licenses so had to go back to vendors for new ones. Some responded, some didn't...

Wondering if this is the scenario the OP faces if he can't get back into Windows to deactivate them.
I've been waiting for the weekend to get stuck into trying to fix my laptop, so I will let you know. Wsh me luck!

Wish you all the luck in the world :tu: Hope you can fix it instead of having to reinstall. It would be fun to know how it went once you are done.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I don't like suggesting it, but is there any benefit in using iLok's paid services to get back up and running? A one time services, or cancelling down the road?

I have an antique MBP that is on its fourth motherboard. Twice it died completely on me taking my soft iLok with it.

On both occasions I informed PACE, they contacted the developers (7 or 8 ) and all my iLok licences were restored within days. Every other plugin developer had to be contacted manually if there was a problem and nobody ever got shirty with me or queried anything. YMMV on how long they take to respond though - good luck on getting a response from Steinberg for any support request within a month for example.

ATN69 wrote:In order to use soft iLok you must create an account. That account is located in the iLok server. All licenses are stored there. If they steal the computer or it breaks you should still be able to access your licenses thru your account at iLok. All you need is to install a new iLok manager.
No, you are wrong. In case your computer is lost, or your motherboard breaks, and you install a new copy of Windows onto another computer, or motherboard, that iLok installation will get another unique serial number (also called "location", which is calculated based on you hardware). And you cannot access the old one from your iLok account. Why do you think iLok have have their Zero Downtime service?

I've been through this, and what you need to do is to email each publisher (developer of the i.e. plugin) and ask them to reset the activations.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

ATN69 wrote:Wish you all the luck in the world :tu: Hope you can fix it instead of having to reinstall. It would be fun to know how it went once you are done.
Thanks man! Not looking good, unfortunately. My brother and I stayed up til 5am on Saturday night troubleshooting a bunch of stuff to no avail. The first issue was the "Automatic Repair Loop" (see: Google) and now it's another error.. but still related to something amiss in the boot management process.

Yesterday I left it with some local PC service/repair techs. I explained all the software licenses active on it and that I'd like to rescue Windows if possible rather than just wipe it clean. I trust these guys. They said they'll diagnose by tomorrow (Tuesday).

I am starting to resign myself to accepting that I won't be able to restore C: drive :(

Turning it into a positive: My wife agrees I should buy a meaty i7 desktop I've had my eye on for awhile. :hihi:

starflakeprj wrote:
ATN69 wrote:In order to use soft iLok you must create an account. That account is located in the iLok server. All licenses are stored there. If they steal the computer or it breaks you should still be able to access your licenses thru your account at iLok. All you need is to install a new iLok manager.
No, you are wrong. In case your computer is lost, or your motherboard breaks, and you install a new copy of Windows onto another computer, or motherboard, that iLok installation will get another unique serial number (also called "location", which is calculated based on you hardware). And you cannot access the old one from your iLok account. Why do you think iLok have have their Zero Downtime service?

I've been through this, and what you need to do is to email each publisher (developer of the i.e. plugin) and ask them to reset the activations.

So if I am wrong, why do I have to log in to my account when I open iLok manager and what’s the purpose of that?! And if you are correct I would not be able to open my licenses in my friends studio in his computer, which I can. Must be magic then :hihi:

Yes, if you install a new HDD, mother board or even have a major reinstall your computer get a new id. That’s why after installation you need to install a new iLok manager, then log in. You will see your licenses if your login was successful, and all your computer ids if you have more than one computer as I do. The old and obsolete id will be there to with many licenses registered to it. This is exactly how it was for me when I bought my new computer. I didn’t need to open my old computer to move licenses. I did it from the new computer
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

ATN69 wrote:This is exactly how it was for me when I bought my new computer. I didn’t need to open my old computer to move licenses. I did it from the new computer
This is really good info to know - and the reason why I started this thread. Thank you!

You are welcome. I am always cautious to share screen prints and stuff because it's too easy to share too much by accident, but I attached some files from my own iLok manager.

Image 1 = Show the local computer "DESKTOP", i.e the computer I am using right at this moment.
Image 2 = Show my other registered computer "L-CN". This is grayed out in the iLok manager because it's not the local computer, and not the computer I was signed into when taking these screen dumps.
Image 3 = Show that I can access all licenses in the non local computer "L-CN" from the local computer "DEKTOP". I can deactivate licenses all though I am not signed in to "L-CN". In my case I choose an old demo license of Sparkverb that is registered to "L-CN" computer.

A crashed computer and it's id would still show up in iLok manager when you log in, and you can handle those licenses all though you don't have any computer left with exactly that id. The very thing that makes this possible is that fact that you are online and log into the iLok server where all your licenses and information are stored. The iLok manager always sync to the iLok server. You need to have internet access of course or else it will not work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

And this is exactly what happened to me. To "old" one, which was on the same computer was greyed out, and I could neither move the licenses, nor de-activate them between the old location and the new one. Not from the iLok software, not from my web account.

I contacted iLok, who told me I had to email each individual developer and ask for a reset. Of course I could activate the software on the new location, but not without using one of the limited activations.

And this was only after a Windows update (the last larger one).
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I understand, but as you can see in the first picture I can access the licenses in computer that is greyed out and when I open any of the licenses I can alter them, register, deregister or move them. I could simply deactivate the license as shown in the first picture.

If you could not do that then something must have been wrong with your iLok License Manager, because it absolutely should work. The fact that the computer is greyed out is just to show you that this is not your local computer.

I have 2 computers and I can log in to either one of them and manage all licenses for both of them regardless. The support from iLok is poor at best. I had to learn what I know on my own and by trial and error.

ATN69 wrote:I understand, but as you can see in the first picture I can access the licenses in computer that is greyed out and when I open any of the licenses I can alter them, register, deregister or move them. I could simply deactivate the license as shown in the first picture.

If you could not do that then something must have been wrong with your iLok License Manager, because it absolutely should work. The fact that the computer is greyed out is just to show you that this is not your local computer.

I have 2 computers and I can log in to either one of them and manage all licenses for both of them regardless. The support from iLok is poor at best. I had to learn what I know on my own and by trial and error.
I don't understand how this is possible. It has never worked that way for me. I have two computers and if I try to do anything to the license on one computer from the other one then I get this:
screenshot_106.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lnikj wrote:
ATN69 wrote:I understand, but as you can see in the first picture I can access the licenses in computer that is greyed out and when I open any of the licenses I can alter them, register, deregister or move them. I could simply deactivate the license as shown in the first picture.

I don't understand how this is possible. It has never worked that way for me. I have two computers and if I try to do anything to the license on one computer from the other one then I get this:
screenshot_106.png
That looks really crazy! That is not the zero downtime that they are advertising so hard. It's just as bad as e-licenser. I could always install iLok manager, log into my account and then do what ever. I have no idea why you could not do the same.

ATN69 wrote:
lnikj wrote:

screenshot_106.png
That looks really crazy! That is not the zero downtime that they are advertising so hard. It's just as bad as e-licenser. I could always install iLok manager, log into my account and then do what ever. I have no idea why you could not do the same.
I wonder if this is some lacuna in the Mac client then? Can anybody else confirm or deny?

EDIT: No, I see starflakeprj; is on Windows too and reports the same.

@ATN69

Does that work with either machine completely shut down (wifi) or unplugged from
any internet connection (wired)? Because the iLok manager uses bonjure, e.g. it
should be perfectly able to access either machine over any network connection
independently of the user.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”