Windows 1803

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Once again, another cumulative windows update to 1803 came along, and once again, ilok lost its mind. Steinberg authorization breezed right on through, no problem.
Never did get izotope to settle down before this; that situation has not improved.
This is getting old.
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

brewt wrote:Once again, another cumulative windows update to 1803 came along, and once again, ilok lost its mind.
Lost its... mind?... You mean, plugins were de-registered, or won't start anymore, because the activation was lost?

Ilok keeps complaining that networked authorization applications activations are not supported, suggests I should unplug the stick, and plug it back in.
Doing that, then relaunching the manager, go out for lunch, then relaunch the ilok-authorized apps, go out for coffee, maybe dinner, and they eventually all come back.
Except for izotope. It’s still dead in the water. All of their apps. Maybe I need to replace those, since I can’t seem to get izotope support’s interest.
What’s a good replacement for rx5? And don’t say “rx6.”
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

Just wondering, but... do you have any security suite software installed?

No, but I do have hyper-v on, which does wreak havoc to the network stack. Arguably, that is making ilok hiccup, but doesn’t answer why izotope has given up the ghost; I can’t even get an off-line authorization file to download. Which I think is them.
Their offline authorization/download manager app says everything is fine.
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

Update.
So, I uninstalled rx5, and had their portal reinstall it. This changed the authorization settings at the website, and at least allows me to authorize to computer, which is fine until Microsoft screws with the machine's id number. So, temporary stay until I can decide on a set of placement softwares.
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

if you guys haven’t done it in a minute. you seriously need to go into your “privacy settling” and turn everything off again. especially those pesky “background apps”. microsoft has given itself free reign to all your everything and has reset a lot of privacy settings in the process. you have been logged and databased at microsoft for further analysis. more to come...

This is why licensing methods that (for example) take an ID your motherboard should be the way forward. If you reconfigure your OS or completely zap it, including a full hard drive replacement (as happened with me recently when my hard drive broke) - the license will still recognise your machine perpetually. It's in developers' interests to implement this kind of system for their customers and give them peace of mind.

iLok seems to do this the right way...

The latest fix from Microsoft fixed the issue they created on the initial release of 1803 that broke office’s ability to print PDFs via the Microsoft print to pdf driver, so, you want to suffer through this one to get that ability back. Which proves useful, at times.
Izotope has been working to resolve my issues, so, that’s good. We’ll see what happens the next go-round.
Boo-Frickety-Hoo.
-Dr. Evil

MogwaiBoy wrote:This is why licensing methods that (for example) take an ID your motherboard should be the way forward. If you reconfigure your OS or completely zap it, including a full hard drive replacement (as happened with me recently when my hard drive broke) - the license will still recognise your machine perpetually. It's in developers' interests to implement this kind of system for their customers and give them peace of mind.

iLok seems to do this the right way...
Because... motherboards are indestructible? :roll:

No DRM is "the way forward".

Not using it (win10) on my daw because Win7 is too good.
But Win10 1803 on my tv box is bollocks - takes about 30 seconds to start up and launch Kodi off an SSD compared to 10 seconds for 1709. I'm guessing it's all the AI garbage they've put in there.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”