Apple ditches IBM power PC chip and will use Intel.

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here's more

[1:46 PM] Rosetta will allow PowerPC compiled apps to work on an Intel Mac. It's completely transparent, and does not require a separate emulation environment

[1:46 PM] Apple is calling an emulation layer "Rosetta," after the Rosetta Stone

[1:47 PM] He's demonstrating it with Quicken, Excel, Photoshop. All of these apps, compiled for PPC, worked fine on the Intel Mac demonstration, It was a completely transparent process

[1:49 PM] There is a developer kit that includes a 3.6 GHx Pentium 4 Mac. They will have to be returned by the end of 2006. They will be priced at US$999, and please note that these are for developers only

Kraznet

Thanks for the live update. I was hoping the Intel thing was a misdirect and they were going to go to Cell, but I guess not.
Don't do it my way.

that's a nice update kraznet, and just what some of the articles predicted
My other host is Bruce Forsyth

And more:

[1:51 PM] Roz Ho, the MBU General Manager at Microsoft is on stage talking about this transition

[1:52 PM] Roz also said that Microsoft has been working with Apple on Xcode, and plans on having universal binaries of its products to support the fractured user base transparently

1:52 PM] Roz says that more Exchange features are coming for the Mac. This was met with scattered applause

[1:53 PM] Bruce Chizen CEO of Adobe is on stage. He said that Adobe wouldn't exist if it weren't for Apple

[1:54 PM] "You can be absolutely assured that you will be able to run Adobe applications natively on Intel Macs

Kraznet

Welp... looks to be true.

Stay tuned for the fallout

BTW, you can tune in here for live updates: http://www.macrumorslive.com/web/

Glad to be of help :)

[1:55 PM] "I have only one question, Steve: What took you so long?" He said this with a laugh, and the audience applauded

[1:55 PM] He said that Adobe will be first to offer its complete line for Intel-based Macs.

[1:57 PM] As TMO reported this morning, Paul Otellini, CEO of Intel, is here to talk about his company

[1:58 PM] Steve said by way of introduction said that when they talked to Intel, they found that Intel was just as passionate about making great products as Apple

Kraznet

[1:58 PM] Mr. Otellini is going over Intel's history, including Apple's famous Bunny add where Apple set fire to Intel's Bunny mascot. He even showed the commercial

2:00 PM] It's interesting to see the fact that either one of these guys is addressing this directly

[2:01 PM] Paul Otellini called Apple "the most innovative computer company in the world

[2:02 PM] Mr. Otellini is being cheered as he leaves the stage

Kraznet

I think we get the idea now :)

and finally :

2:04 PM] He says that this third transition will allow Apple to continue to make the best computers for its customers

[2:04 PM] Steve says that Apple has been through two transitions, and that the company is strong, and that the Mac platform is strong

[2:05 PM] Says developers have to do one thing to make the transition a smooth one, and that's to "start making universal binaries now

Thanks to http://www.macobserver.com/

Kraznet

goodn8 apple...

Think Different
"If I could just say a few words... then I'd be a public speaker" -- Homer Simpson

whoohooo! no more "alltivec support" requests! :hihi: Hello SSE! :lol:
ModuLR / Radio

arguru wrote:Think Different
Yeah, that's a good one

Intel is coming in, but I wouldn't be so sure that PPC chips will go away all together from their line of highend Macs. This could just be an obfuscated way to get OSX on Intel chips and going head to head with windows, nothing more. It would be a good thing anyhow. My biggest worry reading any of this is thinking, how much will I have to pay in updates and upgrades the next time I get a new Mac, how much will it cost to get the software I already own to work correctly on a new system... updaters delight...

Glau

ModuLR wrote:whoohooo! no more "alltivec support" requests! :hihi: Hello SSE! :lol:
Altivec's better, though. I say this as someone who is perfectly content to write SSE on Windows.
Don't do it my way.

glaucomys wrote:This could just be an obfuscated way to get OSX on Intel chips and going head to head with windows, nothing more.
I seriously doubt that Apple wants to go head to head with the M$ Juggernaut...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”