Kuassa Creme amp and OD models?

Official support for: kuassa.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

First of all, thanks for a terrific addition to my Reason rack. I recently picked up the Creme RE and I am now gratefully back into a mode where I feel like I can use Reason as the only DAW for a new metal project.

For a while now, I wasn't feeling the guitar/drums love from Reason, at least for this new project, so I had rigged up a hybrid system where I would do drums and guitars in Reaper, then everything else including mixing in Reason. But the workflow was showing signs of being annoying, what with all the jumping back and forth between two linked DAWs.

That workflow issue motivated me to finally spend some serious time with Reason Drum Kits 2, rediscovering that yes, it is as versatile as I originally thought, and yes, it is very capable of cracking metal kits. After finally nailing RDK2 kits I'm VERY happy with the only missing piece was guitar. Sorry, the POD stuff was simply not cutting it. I couldn't dial in that "transparent" articulated sound with that certain "something" to save my life.

Yeah, I know I'm late to the party here with the Creme RE, but with guitars the last piece of the Reason puzzle keeping me from bliss, I finally got around to buying it.

It was a happy case of "instant gratification". The sound was just SO GOOD, right out of the box. So now I can focus on a pure Reason workflow for this new project knowing I've got great RAWK guitar tones covered.

Seriously, I am finding it hard to a "bad" sound out of Creme. The mid-gain tones have that dynamic response and as gain gets higher, I'm not hearing that signature digital harshness or box-of-bees fizz that's so prevalent in a lot of amp sims.

The first day I downloaded the Creme RE, I did spend some time auditioning as many combinations of settings as possible, just to get a sense of the versatility. I know Creme is intended for rock and metal, but I found that it is certainly versatile enough to use as a bread-and-butter amp sim for most other styles as well.

But even with versatility in a simple package, Creme inspires me to play, not endless futzing around. I really like the stripped down core approach of satisfying the basic needs of tone with superior fidelity. I don't need dozens of half-assed amp sims and a zillion effects. That way leads to tweaker madness just trying to find something usable, not getting any work done. I just needed a virtual rig for Reason that sounds like a handful of really good, really REAL amps. Creme nails it.

Okay, that out of the way, on to my question: I know that Creme was "inspired" by certain amps and OD/distortion units. What I don't know is the source of that inspiration. I've looked all over the internet and haven't really found any solid info about what amps and OD/distortion units you were going for.

In particular, what are the A/B/C overdrives intended to (loosely) represent, and what are the A/B/C amp models intended to represent? I think I read somewhere that the B overdrive is like a tube screamer, and sonically from what I'm hearing, that might be the case.

Of course in the grand scheme of things, what matters is my ears and what I like, and I like Creme a lot. Creme's usability certainly doesn't depend on exact modeling of some real world amp.

But it would be cool to know, if nothing else to satisfy my curiosity regarding your process and inspiration.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
You can take the man out of the 80's, but you can't take the 80's out of the man. - Paul Gilbert

Return to “Kuassa”