ilok?

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ilok?

Really?

Hmm, whatever it takes I guess. I'm OK with mine but Im not travelling. I'd be scared shitless to lose it.

Question is, will it impact on potential buyers (and I don't mean the KVR crowd lol) :hihi:
Cowbells!

You have to understand why I started this. I bought the Kawai piano some time ago, I bought it because it was kontakt (my first "real" kontakt 3rd party :party: ) and things were nice.

Then, there was all this hoopla over going with the UVI player and not having to be K anymore. Cool, the UVI player is supposedly fine.

but ilok? You mean you went away from K and now you are ilok? Man, I'm glad I have a backup of a backup of a backup of my Kawai piano because I'm not going ilok to use it ;)

Oh, and I was considering some of the new libraries but I'm no longer interested (unless I'm missing something)

Its unfortunate many devs moving to c/r, ilok, eLicensner and alike, I hear ya.. I have an external USB hub *just* for all this dongle madness.
Cowbells!

Well, i'm gonna repeat myself, but when someday your work will be pirated, you will try to find the best solution to avoid it. This is what we did, and believe me piracy is huge, just google us and check out the number of downloads... and when you stop selling because of that, believe me, it makes you VERY angry (not to mention the nice guys that come to you and ask for a big discount otherwise they will get the "unofficial" version).

iLok is the only secure solution if a company wants to make sure that they earn the money for they work and the files don't end up being shared for free on the pirate websites.

But iLok is not that bad, you don't know it because you never used it. Believe me, you would be VERY happy to have your licenses on a dongle when your computer crashes and you only had one seat for your challenge response thing. Or of you have two computers and are allowed only one, or simply if you don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling and reauthorizing everything everytime you reinstall / change computer.

But i agree, it takes up one usb slot and you need to buy it...
Oh btw, there are many more people that you think that actually have one and love it ;) They just don't talk about it in the forums (otherwise everybody would go away from this protection, just take every protools users for example... i mean the legit ones...).

I paid for my Kawai piano samples. There was no ilok.

Anyways, my voice of frustration is from paying customer...........ilok mean "iwon't"

You journey is not complete..............you must accept assholes that will rip you off.........they are assholes. They are not PAYING CUSTOMERS like me :)

Assholes, are asshole, paying customers are beer money........only YOU can choose which is most important!

Well... you got what you paid for right? You can still use your library with Kontakt.
The only thing that you don't have access to is future libraries because they don't work with Kontakt...
Btw, the kontakt script does not allow a few things that are available in the MachFive script (yes UVI is the MachFive 3 player). For example some features of the Telematic would not be doable...

Well, I'm going to put my input in it. I have an iLok. I hate it. I'm using it for Cubase and for one library that I really needed for a project. Except that, I'm never using it.

I travel and I compose in two places (France and US), which means I need to carry my iLok key all the time. So I'm scared all the time of loosing or damaging it.

I understand your anger because of piracy, but by using iLok, you are loosing customers who were ready to buy. Just as an example, please consider that I bought ALL of Heavyocity libraries (Kontakt), 60% of 8DIO libraries (Kontakt), one third of Sonokinetic libraries...etc. I am sure that these companies have the same issues with piracy as you. But at the end, they chose a solution that doesn't create problems for their paying customers. So I am much happy to give them money.

You are seeing this from your point of view. Please consider the user's point of view. The one who is paying. If you have an iLok library, if you loose or destroy your key, you're loosing your library, even if you made a backup on a harddrive! Or you need to pay regularly (which, for me, is a kind of a racket), and even then, it will take time for you to recover a new key. Please consider that professionals have strict deadlines to follow. We can't depend on risks like that!

For instance, from the videos I saw, GD-6 Acoustic Guitar seems ever more friendly user than the Ilya Efimov library (that I bought). I was thinking on buying GD-6 but I saw the iLok part. So, I'll stick with Efimov (Kontakt version). It will take a bit more time for me to master it, but at the end, I won't have the risk on not having it when I'm asked something requiring this kind of sound.

I have nothing against the UVI interface (I have one library using it. I'm not a fan, but I guess I'm just not used to it), but this iLok choice is a mistake. Please consider it.

This is where you are wrong.
Maybe some companies like to be pirated because for some reason the buzz is enough to make them known enough to still sell. In our case it was not the case and the company was dying. So where is the user point of view if we can't keep on making products?

Also for iLok, seriously if you come to us with a proof that you lost your iLok, don't worry we will be kind enough to send you another license, it happened a few times to us and there was never any problem.

But this discussion is endless, some people like the iLok, some people don't. What i know is that the sales went back to normal if not increased when we switched to iLok.

Also as we are using the UVI engine, we don't really have another choice, it is iLok protected so we use iLok, we do like it as a lot of our customers.

A proof that one has lost one's iLok? What proof can one give?

But anyway, if your sales went back to normal, I won't convince you. But please keep in mind that if one day, you find a solution to protect you from piracy that also doesn't create problems for the customers, your sales will definitely increase. Just curious, though : before, were you using the watermark system? It wasn't working against piracy?

The proof is an official robbery statement if it was stolen, or just the an official "lost" declaration to the police department (it exists in France) and also you can declare your iLok lost to the iLok.com website which will block the iLok and prevent anyone to add licenses to it.

And no, i wasn't using the watermark system. Watermarking is a bit problematic for sending updates, and even the libraries, there was no more direct availability of the library after purchase, plus just look around on the web, every non protected library (watermarked or not) is pirated.

But you know what, as soon as iLok comes up with a software based solution, we will use it and give the user the choice ;)

As far as I'm concerned, any anti-piracy system that doesn't imply the use of an USB key is ok. Watermarking seems the easiest and least problematic for the user. But the Kontakt system (having to use their authorization system) is nice too. Or even a system that makes the user go on your website once per year to reactivate the library (I'm not a big fan of that option but that still would be better than an iLok).

By the way, this discussion made me curious, and apparently, iLok isn't the god solution you think it is. I read an article saying that Waves had stopped using them, and that iLok was now crakable.

That being said, there are several examples of companies choosing the no-protection policy and it worked. In videogames, look at the success of a website like gog.com. The paradox of anti-piracy system is that while they bother the ones who pay, the ones who don't pay end up finding another solution. That's a loose-loose situation.

Look at the failure of DRM! When mp3 files had DRM, you had the choice : paying to have a music you could burn on 3 CDs only and 2 mp3 players, or get it on internet easily, and use it the way you wanted! You had a better result by pirating!

As your company suffered from piracy, I understand the subject is touchy for you. But I really hope you'll think of other options. I still hope I'll be able to buy that guitar library on day. :)

As anti-dongle as I am, I am always furious when I hear first-hand how developers are hurt by piracy. I can understand and sympathize why you went the iLok route, and I hope it pays off for you. I got the Percussiv sample set back in the pre-dongle days and love it, it sees a lot of use in my tracks!

I joined this site so I can reply to this post.

I do not understand why people are so upset about licenses. Every forum you go there's always someone bashing one company or another over their licensing method. If the licensing method upset you so much, maybe you don't need that software. I don't know the owners Acoustic samples, but I can tell you right now that I will hate to see them go out of business because people are stealing from them. Yes it's stealing. Remember Karma?

I will say something most DAW/ plugin users will never say. I used to download pirated software but today I can tell you I buy every software I use. And I can prove it.

Around 2002 most of the software and plugins I had were pirated versions. I had all those daw and plugins but never got anything done. I couldn't finish any of my projects because I was sluting from one DAW to another. One day I thought maybe karma is killing me here. So I dumped all the pirated software and started buying my software. I wasn't able to buy all of them but whatever I got today I paid for it. I'm more productive for sure.

So for those who think this company will go under because of ilok, you are so wrong. I was at motu.com (today 06/01/2013) looking at macfive when I saw a link to Acoustic Samples, I went to their site and listened to the gd-6 acoustic guitar demos, I liked what I heard and I ended up buying it the same day and I can prove it :)

A company should have the right to pick any kind of licenses they want. If you don't like it deal with it.

It's very easy to buy software these days with the easy payment options most online music stores offer.

Return to “AcousticsampleS”