Telematic Issues

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,
I own the Telematic package via my last MachFive upgrade and I am making extensive use of this great software. But I am having a series of issues that I would like to resolve.

Issue #1) I have been attempting to save and reload an instrument program. When I open the saved program it invariably does not play. One of the preferences I save is the "Play Mode" being set to Solo. I also like to add an FX Multi to the program. When I load the program the Play Mode shows solo but the keyboard below shows the arrangement one would expect to se in the Chord Play Mode and the Chord Parameters options are still visible. These options usually disappear in Solo Play Mode. Also the samples do not play. I end up having to rebuild the program every time. In other words, I can not alter a program, save it, and reload it. I have tried saving with and without samples to no avail.

Issue #2) I wonder if there is anyway to use MIDI automation to call up different FX Multis. I like to use this software in live performance. I have created a series of FX patches that give me the guitar sounds I need. But looking on my laptop screen and chasing these FX patches down during live performance is a real hassle. If I load too many distinct programs with sample sets then I bog down the memory of the computer. I would like to have just a lite bridge and lite neck telematic program loaded and have my sequence call FX Multi program changes. Is there a way to do this via MIDI and/or a script?

Issue #3) The Telematic scripts have a very fast modulation that is applied to the volume (in the edit window). I wish to adjust that modulation rate. I see the modulators when I select the volume knob, but I do not see any evidence that any of these modulators are actually providing the effect. When I turn them all off I am still getting the modulation when I roll up the Mod Wheel on my controller. Where is this modulation originating and how can I edit?

Thanks!
Robert
Follow Your Bliss.

rwbmuse wrote:Greetings,
I own the Telematic package via my last MachFive upgrade and I am making extensive use of this great software. But I am having a series of issues that I would like to resolve.
Before answering completely, you need to know that the Telematic is now in V2. If you purchased it with MachFiven you will get the update very soon and it might solve your issues.
rwbmuse wrote: Issue #1) I have been attempting to save and reload an instrument program. When I open the saved program it invariably does not play. One of the preferences I save is the "Play Mode" being set to Solo. I also like to add an FX Multi to the program. When I load the program the Play Mode shows solo but the keyboard below shows the arrangement one would expect to se in the Chord Play Mode and the Chord Parameters options are still visible. These options usually disappear in Solo Play Mode. Also the samples do not play. I end up having to rebuild the program every time. In other words, I can not alter a program, save it, and reload it. I have tried saving with and without samples to no avail.
First, the best way to do this is to save a multi from the multi page, saving an M5p should work too though.
It might be problematic when you add effects manually as it might change the order of the effects and the script can't find what it is looking for. I'm guessing you get a red border around the interface right?
When you want to add FX, just add them at the part level for example.
rwbmuse wrote: Issue #2) I wonder if there is anyway to use MIDI automation to call up different FX Multis. I like to use this software in live performance. I have created a series of FX patches that give me the guitar sounds I need. But looking on my laptop screen and chasing these FX patches down during live performance is a real hassle. If I load too many distinct programs with sample sets then I bog down the memory of the computer. I would like to have just a lite bridge and lite neck telematic program loaded and have my sequence call FX Multi program changes. Is there a way to do this via MIDI and/or a script?
No, it is not possible, user script presets is not yet implemented in Machfive.
What you can do though is automate every parameter you want to change like the play mode with mis learn (right click) and just recall them with midi events.
rwbmuse wrote: Issue #3) The Telematic scripts have a very fast modulation that is applied to the volume (in the edit window). I wish to adjust that modulation rate. I see the modulators when I select the volume knob, but I do not see any evidence that any of these modulators are actually providing the effect. When I turn them all off I am still getting the modulation when I roll up the Mod Wheel on my controller. Where is this modulation originating and how can I edit?
I think that the speed of the vibrato is controlled by an LFO called LFO 1 at the program level, all you need to do is change its rate.

I hope this helps.

Thank you kindly for the thoughtful response!

As to V2, it is way cool that your company is allowing the update for MachFive users. Thanks for that! Yes it may alleviate some of these issues.

On the loading of Multis rather than programs, I have tried this. When I do load a multi none of the programs work. Come to think of it, when I load telematic and some other MachFive samples as a Multi, none of them work. I have to individually reload and reconstruct each program every time. The only thing I have been able to save are the FX Multis. Perhaps it has to do with where I am saving my programs as the user programs seem to not load whereas programs found in the "Soundbanks" seem to load fine. But I can't alter programs within soundbanks or so it seems. So in either cae of loading programs or multis (with or without samples, the instrument will not sound. I see MIDI info coming in and I have tried triggering the note on the virtual keyboard with no sound. Something is not loading right and it seems to be tied to the play mode.

As to issue 2, the FX multis for one guitar patch can be quite a bit different than another. For instance I may use compression, overdrive, chorus, and reverb FX in a particular order to get the desired sound, but the order and type of FX may be utterly different for another FX Multi. Also reloading entire Multis between songs can take an eternity in stage time.

Issue 3. Yes the LFO rate seemed obvious to me but I was having trouble finding it. I have it now.

As a suggestion, if there was a script that allowed for automation of FX Multis to be loaded that would very useful. The documentation for MachFive scripting indicates that practically anything is possible with scripts. Or perhaps there is a way to direct the streaming of duplicate sets of samples into another program slot. In that way no extra memory would be taken up holding samples but then I could apply a series of FX Multis and then use MachFive scripts to switch programs. But I have to keep my memory usage down to a minimum because I am using a DAW and two other virtual instruments besides MachFive during performance.

In any case I appreciate your assistance!
Follow Your Bliss.

rwbmuse wrote: As to V2, it is way cool that your company is allowing the update for MachFive users. Thanks for that! Yes it may alleviate some of these issues.
Well, we try to be a cool company ;)
rwbmuse wrote: On the loading of Multis rather than programs, I have tried this. When I do load a multi none of the programs work.
This is weird... it is the first time i hear something like that... but it actually might be a MachFive issue to redirect to MOTU. Maybe you need to update MachFive.
rwbmuse wrote: As to issue 2, the FX multis for one guitar patch can be quite a bit different than another. For instance I may use compression, overdrive, chorus, and reverb FX in a particular order to get the desired sound, but the order and type of FX may be utterly different for another FX Multi. Also reloading entire Multis between songs can take an eternity in stage time.
That might be the issue then. You need to keep the ones set as default and you can bypass everything if you want, but do not remove any default fx as they are controlled by the script and the library might crash without them (red border around the interface).
rwbmuse wrote: Issue 3. Yes the LFO rate seemed obvious to me but I was having trouble finding it. I have it now.

As a suggestion, if there was a script that allowed for automation of FX Multis to be loaded that would very useful. The documentation for MachFive scripting indicates that practically anything is possible with scripts. Or perhaps there is a way to direct the streaming of duplicate sets of samples into another program slot. In that way no extra memory would be taken up holding samples but then I could apply a series of FX Multis and then use MachFive scripts to switch programs. But I have to keep my memory usage down to a minimum because I am using a DAW and two other virtual instruments besides MachFive during performance.
Well you could build a script yourself and create your own effects presets and load / unload them on the fly, but you have specific needs and we can't provide that, you will have to do it yourself. MachFive script can only act on what is present in the library and certainly not add/remove fx slots or samples.

It very well may be a MachFive but the version I am using is the 3.1.4 which is the most up to date at this time. I did discover something that may lead to an answer as to why the sample/programs don't play. I have a folk guitar program that came with an earlier MachFive version and I saved it with an FX multi that is not very involved. This program loads and plays fine with the correct FX patch. The Telematic programs I have tried to save have more FX applied. Perhaps this is overextending the capabilities of MachFive. One of these typical FX multi will have 8 band parametric EQ, compressor expander, chorus, and the guitar box simulator. I only use the lite versions of the neck or bridge programs as the larger programs can crash my computer. I am doing this on an early macbook 2,1 so perhaps the problem lies there as well.

In any case, I made a little movie to demonstrate the problem. I added text annotation describing what I am experiencing. Please check it out and let me know.
Thanks again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PzfHY0d ... tube_gdata

Okay, I suppose you will have to cut and paste till I have five posts. :roll:
Follow Your Bliss.

Thanks for the vid, it helps a lot!
This is exactly what i was telling you from the start ;)
You basically are removing all of the default FX used by the script and add others. When the library is loading it is looking for the FX and crashes if it does not find them. So when you just change the FX, it works, but when you reload it it crashes the script.

$The solution is simple though, instead of replacing the FX multi at the program level like you do, just bypass the default FX and add the FX you want at the part level for example. To do this, just click on tree and select the part instead of program, then the FX panel on the right will be empty and you can add whatever you want there and it will be saved when you save a multi.

YES! THAT WORKED!
:D

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The tree feature is something I have not used a whole lot yet. I see that navigating by that means is a real good way around MachFive.

I am still wondering if there is a workaround for automation and loading. The Loa scripting language has "Event Callbacks." I am wondering if the load program can be defined as an event.
http://www.uvi.net/machfivescript/group ... backs.html

However this is just a wild guess on my part.
Follow Your Bliss.

After setting up and saving a program, I notice in the tree there are default FX listed as a subheading under the FX I have organized. These can be switch on and off remotely via MIDI. This leads me to think that perhaps the way to go is to:
create a program that has the FX I use most often and then use MIDI CC to setup FX sent from a sequencer at the top of each tune. In this way I could have the automation I was looking for. The FX can be turned on and off and every parameter adjusted. Maybe you were trying to tell me something like this already?

On another note, I have a Kurzweil K2600xs with the ribbon control. Right now I am working to make the CC connection between the ribbon and the pitch mod. I have already made this connection with Analog Crunch/overdive using my CC pedal and increased the Wet amount for Delay using my CC sliders. I am having fun!

If interested, I have a Pink Floyd" tune I covered using telematic. I think it turned out pretty good.

https://soundcloud.com/robert-brown-3/c ... pop-covers
Follow Your Bliss.

I just realized that there is no obvious way to send automated CC information from a DAW (DP) track to the stand alone MachFive and still send live performance data to the same channel on MachFive. I need to merge the data but I see no way to do this. This is after I created an FX multi with several dozen CCs assigned to parameters.

Why standalone? Well because I am using chunks with many embedded sequences. This way I can call up tunes fast. If I had an instance of MachFive for each sequence that accessed the telematic then I am afraid I would eat up the memory right fast.

Anyway if the keyboard is assigned to control a part/ program on MachVive, then the sequencer can't also be assigned and the keyboard can't send out all this CC data, This may be a post for another forum...

I am scratching my head.
Follow Your Bliss.

rwbmuse wrote:YES! THAT WORKED!
:D

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

The tree feature is something I have not used a whole lot yet. I see that navigating by that means is a real good way around MachFive.

I am still wondering if there is a workaround for automation and loading. The Loa scripting language has "Event Callbacks." I am wondering if the load program can be defined as an event.
http://www.uvi.net/machfivescript/group ... backs.html

However this is just a wild guess on my part.
The machfive script has event callbacks, but it is only able to react on midi data and in any case, it just can affect what is already loaded.
Actually there is another function that is triggered when you load a program, it is the onLoad() function, but i don't really know what you plan on doing with it...

I think that adding CC controls to the Fx is a good idea, i see in your other posts that you are having troubles with the routing of midi, but i don't know DP that well, and you should really ask all that on the Motu Nation forums ;)
Also i'm not sure i know what you plan on doing but having multiple midi tracks redirected to one instance of MachFive actually works well, but again, ask that in a DP forum, there are plenty of people that will be able to help you with it !

Oh and the memory footprint of the V2 is greatly reduced so that should help quite a bit too.

Btw, very nice song! ;)

Arno

Thanks Arno,
I have posted the issue over on Motunation and believe I have expressed the issue well here:

http://www.motunation.com/forum/viewtop ... =5&t=55301

And again, thanks for your help!
Follow Your Bliss.

I am new to this forum, bur so far I have solved like 5 of my biggest issues. Thank you for these posts AcousticsampleS people :) Love your work

Return to “AcousticsampleS”