Wurlie: a3 plays short

Official support for: acousticsamples.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello, the AS Wurlie is really great!

Yet I realized that the length of the a3 sample(s) (the middle a) is much shorter than all notes around. Compared to the keys around it seems to be like "faded out". I that a bug or a feature :?:

Any reply? Any update?
To be specific I talked about midi notes, I mean the "a" at 440 Hz.

The Wurlie have been updated one month ago, but the A3 is indeed shorter than G3 or B3... the library is very raw, maybe the original sampled Wurlitzer has a shorter A3...

Thank you for the information! Haven't seen the update yet. Is there a changelog?

I've got a Wurlitzer 200 and a 120. The 200 was recently restored by Vintage Vibe, which is probably one of the best places on the planet to get work done on an EP. The 120 isn't in as good shape, but can be heard in Hollow Sun's Tubelitzer library (that's my Wurli). I bring this up to say, it's not at all uncommon for different reeds to sustain for different lengths of time based on condition. Even in a well-regulated EP, you'll still get different notes sustaining for different lengths of time, one having a different amount of bark than another, different volume levels, etc. Unless it's an absolute bum reed, which I certainly never heard with Wurli, I'd say this is just normal and part of the character of the instrument. I'd rather have them sample the instrument with it's quirks than have them cheat and transpose the next best sounding note to make up for it. In a perfect note, maybe they'd have noticed that in advance and replaced the reed, but then someone would argue it was too perfect.

jazzist wrote:Thank you for the information! Haven't seen the update yet. Is there a changelog?
Haven't see no changelog, but the release date in the "Your downloads" section of the Acousticsamples user account is September 2017, so it has probably been updated.

I agree with Funkyboy, the shorter A3 may be part of the sampled keyboard.

While that's probably how the original instrument sounds, I agree that it makes the library less useful.
I expect authenticity while still having fully usable virtual instruments (not "broken" versions). In this regard, I pointed out much bigger issues with a few keys of Mark79, and apparently they are being sorted out, so let's hope that Arnaud fixes this one as well
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
https://noou.bandcamp.com

The A3 is in fact a bit shorter, but this one can't be fixed, it is how the instrument was and it is actually in an incredible shape.
While the keys on the Mark79 were sounding a bit odd, which is why i fixed them, the length problem in a wurlitzer is a problem that you get on all notes. The A3 isn't the only shorter note, there are others that are more or less shortened. Every wurlitzer out there has this unless it is still sitting at the shop.

thysm00 wrote:The A3 is in fact a bit shorter, but this one can't be fixed, it is how the instrument was and it is actually in an incredible shape.
While the keys on the Mark79 were sounding a bit odd, which is why i fixed them, the length problem in a wurlitzer is a problem that you get on all notes. The A3 isn't the only shorter note, there are others that are more or less shortened. Every wurlitzer out there has this unless it is still sitting at the shop.
I can vouch for the above. I just got a Wurlitzer 200 fully restored by Vintage Vibe, who are probably best in the world at that task, and some notes are shorter than others. It's perfectly normal. I also have a Wurlitzer 120 and it's even more pronounced there. Sure, someone could go ahead and replace every reed in a Wurlitzer with a brand-new set (talk about pricey) and then sample it, but then I'd bet people would complain it sounds too perfect. If the OP wants a more perfect Wurlitzer, physical modeling is probably the way to go.

yes, Mark79 has issues with some notes. last time I checked it was still version 1.0. hopefully it gets updated this year.

Wurlie was updated to 1.1, not aware of the changes, though.

Change log anywhere to be found?

Return to “AcousticsampleS”