mucoder news: public beta for tonespace 2.0 released, new website

Official support for: mucoder.net
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you to all who waited patiently -since the legendary DC06 to be precise, when fledgling tonespace 1.0 saw the light- but here it finally is: the all new tonespace 2.0 public beta!

By popular demand, tonespace 2.0 now includes Mac and Linux versions. Yes, you read that right! And since this required a complete rewrite from the ground up, I have taken advantage of this to clean up some stuff and also add some juicy new features. (I hope you will agree!)

So, what's new in tonespace 2.0?
  • Cross-platform support: Win32 (VST, standalone), MacOSX (VST, AU, standalone), Linux (native VST, standalone).
  • No host required: Standalone executable version for all platforms
  • Generates its own sound. Integrated synth with PADSynth sound
  • Quick start: Demo with built-in midi tracks
  • Extra chord assist modes: play chord unrestricted (anywhere in grid), play restricted (chord root note must fit scale/key cell) or play filtered (chord notes not in scale/key are filtered out)
  • Better control over mouse cell triggering: retrigger notes when dragging across cell border, hold notes when dragging (use this with midi input) or hold notes until next click
  • Hypercyclic and tonespace now share the same underlying modular engine
Versions for windows, mac and linux can be downloaded from the brand new mucoder website

What's next after tonespace 2.0?
Are you serious? First a good rest. Next, I have a pile of feature requests lying around. Hopefully it won't take another half decade to make some progress against that!

Also there is a bug fix refresh due for hypercyclic that will benefit from work on the new engine it now shares with tonespace.

And I forgot to say, tonespace 2.0 is still free as in beer.
tonespace / hypercyclic

Thanks very much for the update.
Good additions from the version 1.
Can't seem to trigger notes with my midi keyboard or via any midi notes from the daw (Reaper). The input is set correctly, but it doesn't trigger any chords.
Can't see what I'm doing wrong.
Music is the best

:tu:

Looks awesome!!!

Thank you.

I didn't know this had been posted, and I just happened to see the update on your site, and posted it in "Instruments". I'll make a link to here.

ATB

~S~
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

zappadave wrote:Thanks very much for the update.

Can't seem to trigger notes with my midi keyboard or via any midi notes from the daw (Reaper). The input is set correctly, but it doesn't trigger any chords.
Can't see what I'm doing wrong.
Hi zappadave,

set parameters as follows:
midi in: either your MIDI keyboard or 'VST/AU host'
on midi: 'trigger chord at mouse'
mouse: 'hold notes while dragging'

please also make sure that the mouse pointer hovers over the desired cell when incoming midi arrives.

hope this helps
mucoder
tonespace / hypercyclic

Shabdahbriah wrote::tu:

Looks awesome!!!

Thank you.

I didn't know this had been posted, and I just happened to see the update on your site, and posted it in "Instruments". I'll make a link to here.

ATB

~S~
thx Shabdahbriah!
tonespace / hypercyclic

Very cool. Thanks for you great effort.

In v.1 you could use "Trigger chord at note", and play your midi keyboard or a midi file and Tonespace would play the chord.
This option is missing from the new version. Just hovering the mouse over the grid, just isn't the same, and does't give the feeling of playing Tonespace.
Music is the best

While I am very pleased at the development and release of Tonespace 2.0, I too liked the ability to "Trigger Chord at Note" from the midi keyboard. Maybe I am missing something as to how it works now. I will have to investigate. I also was trying a mid file as input in Cantabile 2.0 as an input and wanted Tonespace to generate a chord from the input. Still trying to get this to work, so maybe it's possible, maybe I'm sloooowwww.
Paul

zappadave wrote:In v.1 you could use "Trigger chord at note",
paulhart wrote:I too liked the ability to "Trigger Chord at Note"
OK, guys, point taken. This is the one feature that was left out of TS2 because there was a conceptual problem with it. Imagine a space with multiple cells for the same midi note. If you hit a note on your keyboard (or send in a midi note via the daw): which cells with that midi note should be triggered?
-all of them?
-just one? which one then?

The chord generation algorithm needs exactly 1 cell (not a note, but a cell) as input and then looks at the neighbour cells to find the geometric shapes that are possible to fit a chord onto (neighbour cells that could theoretically be different for each candidate cell with that same midi note). Therefore you cannot just take any cell, since each one could theoretically generate a different chord. So how do I select the right cell?

Note that when selecting cells with the mouse, the problem does not arise, since there the user always clearly indicates which cell is the input.

TS1 made it easy on itself: it just took the first cell with the incoming midi note it could find in the space and that was the one. That never felt quite right to me. It's too arbitrary.

In any case, if there is sufficient demand (and two requests I will consider sufficient ;-)) I'll try to put the feature back in. But I have to brood a little first on ways of making it also conceptually right...
Last edited by mucoder on Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
tonespace / hypercyclic

Thanks for considering this.
I think most users would be intelligent enough to use one note if the option is there.
Maybe an option to use lowest note?
Music is the best

I think you are referring to another problem : what if the user inputs multiple notes at once (e.g. a chord) on his keyboard? There TS1 took the last incoming note I believe.

the conceptual problem I was talking about is not 'which note?', but 'which cell?', given a single input note. There is no 'lowest' cell since all these cells contain the same note
tonespace / hypercyclic

Great - thanks for continuing development - I use tonespace 1 a lot.

I suggest renaming the dll to tonespace2.dll because projects with tonespace 1 won't work properly if you overwrite the other dll.

Also I used to have a strange crashing issue in tonespace 1 and Fl Studio when the tonespace 1 gui was showing and I closed a project, but I don't get that with v2.

thanks! and dll naming suggestion is noted
tonespace / hypercyclic

Thanks for bringing tonespace to the Mac! I've had a good time playing with it today. I would also like the ability to trigger chords from a MIDI keyboard, or to have tonespace filter the output.

Also, this is begging to be on the iPad, though there are some apps a bit like it already. Just a thought. It would probably do well on Android, too.

Return to “mucoder”