Low level noise on outputs

Official support for: mucoder.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Discovered this by accident the other day. Both Hypercyclic and Tonespace output a constant low level noise on the first output. Tested it in reaper and FL Studio, so I don't think it's host related.

if I remember well this was by design. Some hosts used to shut down plugins that are receiving no midi/audio from the host *and* are emitting zero level output. This would fatally disable the TS/HC internal clocks, so they can't generate any midi of their own any more. Hence I generate a very low noise floor to fool the DAW host into not killing the plugin

if the noise is a problem I could make it a setting in the future. As a workaround you should be able to turn down the track's output volume to zero in your DAW (assuming you use the plugin to drive some other synth than its built-in test synth)
tonespace / hypercyclic

mucoder wrote:if I remember well this was by design. Some hosts used to shut down plugins that are receiving no midi/audio from the host *and* are emitting zero level output. This would fatally disable the TS/HC internal clocks, so they can't generate any midi of their own any more. Hence I generate a very low noise floor to fool the DAW host into not killing the plugin

if the noise is a problem I could make it a setting in the future. As a workaround you should be able to turn down the track's output volume to zero in your DAW (assuming you use the plugin to drive some other synth than its built-in test synth)
I can easily work around it, just seemed odd since no other plugin I have does this. Out of curiosity, do you remember which DAWs do this?

I think it was Ableton Live 6 or 7 - I forgot

most plugins don't need to do anything when there is no input (audio or midi), so I guess it's ok in that case for them to be put to sleep after a while. HC/TS needs to generate midi out of itself though, even when the host isn't feeding it anything.

Anyway, I should perhaps check how recent DAWs behave and adapt things to that.
tonespace / hypercyclic

Return to “mucoder”