TAL Filter 2 Makes White Noise

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TAL-Filter II

I'm using TAL Filter 2 inside Renoise and it seems to leave a white noise behind.
I noticed it when using the Notch Modulation Type, but it seems to happen with the High Pass and Band Pass types as well.

You can mainly hear it when you put some Gainer or Compressor (or anything really to gain in volume) behind it. People with really good hearing probably hear it without.

Also; the white noise continues when I stop playback.

The plugin is creating the noise, not Renoise. You can test this by sending a completely silent sample through the plugin, rendering the results, and then normalising the results. This will boost the noise to maximum volume where it's incredibly easy to see/hear.

There are various reasons for why TAL chose to add this noise to the output. It could simply be that the noise adds a bit more character to the filter and gives it a more analogue sound. Or perhaps the noise is added in order to avoid floating point denormals which can cause huge CPU spikes. Or the noise could even be added to ensure that the DAW doesn't auto-suspend the plugin when it detects complete silence in the output.

Either way, the noise is coming from the plugin.
I'm Kieran, aka dblue, aka illformed | illformed.com | Glitch 2 now available for Windows, Mac and Linux!

K, but it kind of bugs me it also creates this noise when playback is stopped.
Doesn't really bother me that there's a little noise in the mix. On the contrary, as you said, it adds character.
Could perhaps be one of the reasons why I actually like this plugin so much. :)

Anyways, I don't want to "panic" every time I stop playback..
Only solution I have is to make a small key-track,lfo,gainer chain to make it fade out on chains where it's really bugging me like crazy.. Seriously when you've got some distortive and flanging effects etc behind that, it can drive you mental. :p

Considered using a Noise Gate?

Yeah I could do that.
But I'm always afraid that a noise gate will cut off sounds where I don't want it to cut off sounds.

i get the same result in FL Studio i hate having to put noise gates on everything :x

I unearth this topic just to say that I really love this plug-in because it is the only filter plug-in I have found that render exactly the warm atmosphere provided by the smooth hushed noise of the cylinder of woodwinds not only in the attack but evolving gently until the release.

When I want to imitate woodwinds, immediately I set this filter behind the source... whatever the source I use (Ixox flute, Mini Dizi, Tal-Uno-LX, FM8, Korg M1, ME80, BIAB2013, etc.)

Whatever the source... for me woodwind means immediately the use of this wonderful very smooth noise of Tal-Filter-II, driving the sound terribly realistic.

Anf if I work on any other sound... I use any other filter. There's no shortage of choices...

Return to “TAL Software”