Next after UNO-LX

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Arppe2600va JP6K MinimogueVA TAL-BassLine TAL-BassLine-101 TAL-Elek7ro TAL-NoiseMaker TAL-U-No-62 TAL-U-No-LX

All this discussion over the MKS-80 Revs versus the JP-8 just confirms to me that a Pro One emulation is the most sensible idea.

Pro Ones are still available for not hideous sums of money.

Emulate a Pro One as a plugin and you've got a polyphonic Pro One.

Borrow/rent a Prophet 5 Rev 3 for a while and that plugin can be tuned into being a Rev 3 emu. Even more sellable.

Borrow/rent a Rev 2 for a bit longer and you've got a Rev 2 emu. Even more more sellable.

Also, though Arturia did their Prophet emulation, there's no Prophet elements in Diva yet.

knowix wrote:All this discussion over the MKS-80 Revs versus the JP-8 just confirms to me that a Pro One emulation is the most sensible idea.
This would be awesome! :love:

david.beholder wrote:
fmr wrote:
david.beholder wrote:There are enough of roland-emu around already. Tons of other cool sounding stuff is not emulated at all.
Care to give some examples? From where I can see, basically everything that could matter to me is already emulated, with the honourable exception of the Oberheim Matrix-12 and possibly the Alesis Andromeda A6.
yamaha cs, sequential circuits, moog polymoog, arps with arp filter (not emulated correctly anywher), any string machine + synth (like korg triton, moog opus, plenty of italians) etc -- list is endless.
Yamaha CS - two good emulations already - Arturia and Gunnar;
Polymoog - what's so interesting about it?
ARPs with ARP filter. Gforce Oddity, Arturia ARP 200V, WOW TimewARP. What's with these?
String Machine: WOK Cromina, Night Flight and Xils V+;
Triton: It's a ROMpler. For that we have plenty of sample libraries, samplers like MACH Five 3, Kontakt, HALion, and instruments like Nexus, Omnisphere, and HALion Sonic (and soon Sample Tank 3 too).
Moog Opus: Again, we have plenty of Moogs - what's special in the Opus?
Italians: We have an excelent emulation of the most sought after: Xils Synthix.
david.beholder wrote: Don't also forget there obxd and u-he diva with AMAZING uhbie and jp filters
BUT! I will buy from tal, if there would be quality synth (and not Andromeda :hihi: ).
Precisely: We also have DIVA (which I hope will incorporate some elements of the CS line some day), and OB-Xd (if you are folllowing it, you probably noticed I am deeply involved in this one.

So, for the Rolands, we have a good emulation of Jupiter-8 (Arturia), we have an excelent emulation of Juno-60 and SH-101 (TAL), and we have some modules present in DIVA. For a line so vast and with so many good synths, I would say the the mine is far from being exhausted. Take the modulars (System 100, System 700 and System 100m, for example). These alone would give material for many emulations.

The MKS line has some very good instruments too, not just the MKS-80. In spite of it's simplicity, the MKS-30 is a gorgeous instrument. The MKS-70 is another one deserving emulation (more than the Polymoog and the Opus, IMO). Considering that in terms of architecture they are similar, although their components make them to sound very different, there could be an emulation that included both.

The same goes to Oberheim. So far, we have two emulations of the SEM, and two emulations of the earlier OB line (OB-X, OB-Xa, OB-8). The Matrix line is notoriously absent, and the Xpander/Matrix-12 is, IMO, the pinnacle of the analogue synths, the only synth that can rival a modular system.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:The MKS line has some very good instruments too, not just the MKS-80. In spite of it's simplicity, the MKS-30 is a gorgeous instrument. The MKS-70 is another one deserving emulation (more than the Polymoog and the Opus, IMO). Considering that in terms of architecture they are similar, although their components make them to sound very different, there could be an emulation that included both.
Agreed! As an MKS collector, I can tell you that each is distinct and complementary to one another. The MKS-70 is the sweet airy pad synth, the MKS-50 is the aggressive rave synth, the MKS-30 is the quirky, bubbly sequence synth, and the MKS-20 is the highly sought after EP-that's-not-an-EP synth. I could even make a case for the MKS-7 and MKS-100, just out of nostalgia. The only one I wouldn't be interested in is the MKS-10 but it may as well be done if TAL or anyone else were to go down this road.

How about the Crumar Bit99 :oops:

Or the Crumar Spirit, which was partly developed by Moog...
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fmr wrote:Yamaha CS - two good emulations already - Arturia and Gunnar;

but no CS5 or CS10, both excellent synths
fmr wrote:Moog Opus: Again, we have plenty of Moogs - what's special in the Opus?

its diff to all the other Moogs. Try one and see.

MKS 30 = enhanced JX-3P
MKS 50 = Alpha Juno
MKS 70 = 2x JX-8P
MKS80 = refined Jupiter8

emulations of these are pretty abundant....

Kriminal wrote:MKS 30 = enhanced JX-3P
MKS 50 = Alpha Juno
MKS 70 = 2x JX-8P
MKS80 = refined Jupiter8

Really? I know none for the JX-3P (I mean none that qualifies as an emulation, not a scree capture of the panel layout).
MKS-50 - ditto. Unles you count the Juno-60, but the only thing in common is the a similar synthesis architecture.
MKS-70 - ditto. The only think that could qualify is Martin Luders PG-8X, which only emulates the JP-8X, and seems to be abandoned.
MKS-80, as has been discussed, is NOT a Jupiter-8, nor a Jupiter-6. The only emulation of a Jupiter-8 is the one by Arturia. DIVA includes some modules, but is not an emulation. So... what is "pretty abundant" to you? I count: 0, 0, 0, 0.
Fernando (FMR)

Kriminal wrote:
I would not spend 99,00 euros in one emulation of this. Would you?
Kriminal wrote:
fmr wrote:Moog Opus: Again, we have plenty of Moogs - what's special in the Opus?
This one even hardly qualifies as a synth. Again, I wouldn't spend 99,00 euros in an emulation of this.
How big would you estimate the market would be for an emulation of one fo these, compared to an emulation of the MKS-80 (with Rev 4/Rev 5 switch, and a couple of enhancements?
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:I would not spend 99,00 euros in one emulation of this. Would you?
FWIW, I think 99,00 euros for ANY 1:1 accurate analog emulation would be a bargain and extremely popular. For example, I HATE Juno 60's yet still use the U-NO-LX because it's so much better than other analog emulations.

Other than this one point, I agree with pretty much everything you've said in this thread. :tu:

fmr wrote:
Kriminal wrote:MKS 30 = enhanced JX-3P
MKS 50 = Alpha Juno
MKS 70 = 2x JX-8P
MKS80 = refined Jupiter8

Really? I know none for the JX-3P (I mean none that qualifies as an emulation, not a scree capture of the panel layout).
MKS-50 - ditto. Unles you count the Juno-60, but the only thing in common is the a similar synthesis architecture.
MKS-70 - ditto. The only think that could qualify is Martin Luders PG-8X, which only emulates the JP-8X, and seems to be abandoned.
MKS-80, as has been discussed, is NOT a Jupiter-8, nor a Jupiter-6. The only emulation of a Jupiter-8 is the one by Arturia. DIVA includes some modules, but is not an emulation. So... what is "pretty abundant" to you? I count: 0, 0, 0, 0.
Look harder. In any case, none of these are interesting, and wouldnt attract my money. As this thread seems to be "build what i want, everything else is a crap idea" my comment is valid.

fmr wrote:
Kriminal wrote:
I would not spend 99,00 euros in one emulation of this. Would you?
Kriminal wrote:
This one even hardly qualifies as a synth. Again, I wouldn't spend 99,00 euros in an emulation of this.
How big would you estimate the market would be for an emulation of one fo these, compared to an emulation of the MKS-80 (with Rev 4/Rev 5 switch, and a couple of enhancements?
I like the way you have already decided the price you wouldnt pay :lol:

i would. Happily.

Uncle E wrote:
fmr wrote:I would not spend 99,00 euros in one emulation of this. Would you?
FWIW, I think 99,00 euros for ANY 1:1 accurate analog emulation would be a bargain and extremely popular

:tu:

Kriminal wrote: I like the way you have already decided the price you wouldnt pay :lol:

i would. Happily.
It's easy. I mentioned that price because it's becoming somehow a "standard" for a virtual instrument supporting 32/64-bit on Mac and Windows.
Of course, if someone creates one of those you mentioned for free, or near free, and it is good, I would grab it gladly - no second thoughts on that :)
Fernando (FMR)

Arturia sound like crap. There are quite few threads of arguing about it and matters (there's no such threads about Diva, UNO/Bassline or Monark)

ME80 is ok, but I've heard quite a few zebra demos that sound better (yes, I have polyphonic aftertouch keyboard and vangelis in closet)
fmr wrote:Polymoog - what's so interesting about it?
Polymoog: Divide down architectrue + moog filter + resonator. Quite distinctive oftenly non string machine sound.
fmr wrote:ARPs with ARP filter. Gforce Oddity, Arturia ARP 200V, WOW TimewARP. What's with these?
Timewarp demos are nice but but it doesn't sound like arp. Never heard Oddity.
fmr wrote:String Machine: WOK Cromina, Night Flight and Xils V+;
Do you have string machine? I have quite a few of records where arp omni sounds amazing. None of plugins are sounding close enought: they are too stable, they envs are respoding differently and filter doesn't sound the way hardware sound. They good only with phaser for certain jarre sounds, not further. For example on one of my favorite childhood vynils they are used as bellish eps, basic pads and harsh viola like sounds. Emus doesn't go further than basic string sound.

Urs opinion is quite different about Yamaha elements. You know, I'm reading it too :)))
Murderous duck!

Return to “TAL Software”