Next after UNO-LX

Official support for: tal-software.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Arppe2600va JP6K MinimogueVA TAL-BassLine TAL-BassLine-101 TAL-Elek7ro TAL-NoiseMaker TAL-U-No-62 TAL-U-No-LX

If an emulation of a MKS-80 was made one day by Patrick (or whoever else) I'd like it with the look of the MPG-80.
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

BlackWinny wrote:If an emulation of a MKS-80 was made one day by Patrick (or whoever else) I'd like it with the look of the MPG-80.
I also think that would be the right approach, yes :) The MPG-80 was probably the most beautiful controller Roland ever made.
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Then it's a rev 5 (serial # 593471) :(
Are there different chips inside, or something?
Yep:

MKS-80 rev 4
VCO: CEM3340
VCF: IR3109
VCA: CEM3360

MKS-80 rev 5
VCO: IR3R03
VCF: IR3R05
VCA: IR3R05

Sound is somewhat different between the two. So, hunt for rev 4 for Patrick should continue, and he should model both! :tu:

I was reading about the differences between rev 4 and rev 5, and apparently the main difference resides in the filter chip (rev 4 has the same filter as the Jupiter line, while rev 5 has a more recent chip, that is also present in the MKS-70). Opinions vary about which one is best. As I only have one, that one is the best for me :wink:
Last edited by fmr on Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

EvilDragon wrote: Sound is somewhat different between the two. So, hunt for rev 4 for Patrick should continue, and he should model both! :tu:
It's hard for Patrick. As you checked yourself, these aren't around for cheap. I could loan mine for free, but if he was going to rental a rev 4, that could end becoming prohibitively expensive.
Except if someone else would care to cooperate with a rev 4 :)
Fernando (FMR)

fmr wrote:Except if someone else would care to cooperate with a rev 4 :)
That's a venerable idea. :idea:

We've got 2 MKS-80's at the shop, 1 rev 4 and 1 rev 5. They're good synths, more similar in sound to a Jupiter 6 than a Jupiter 8. I'd rather get a Jupiter 8 emulation.

If we're continuing the Roland line of emulation, what about the less obvious stuff like the SH series or even the System 100?

I doubt TAL really wants to be just known for doing Rolands though, right?

I suggest the Rhodes Chroma (not the Polaris) :)

But really, I think it would be better to stop emulating hardware and come up with something original and unique again, like Noizemaker years ago...

He is moderator of the topic. Maybe he could tell us what are his thoughts about all that...
Build your life everyday as if you would live for a thousand years. Marvel at the Life everyday as if you would die tomorrow.
I'm now severely diseased since September 2018.

knowix wrote:If we're continuing the Roland line of emulation, what about the less obvious stuff like the SH series or even the System 100?
A System 100 would be sweet!!!
I doubt TAL really wants to be just known for doing Rolands though, right?
It's not a bad idea from a marketing standpoint, except that we've now got 2 companies (TAL and D16) focusing on Roland and nobody giving singular focus to Yamaha, Korg, Moog, Sequential Circuits, or ARP.

Uncle E wrote:We've got 2 MKS-80's at the shop, 1 rev 4 and 1 rev 5. They're good synths, more similar in sound to a Jupiter 6 than a Jupiter 8. I'd rather get a Jupiter 8 emulation.
That's strange I see so many people making this assertion. However, I tried to program Jupiter-8 sounds from the patch sheets using the Synthmania as a reference, and I got pretty close results. But I am not familiar with Jupiter-6 though. How different is the sound regarding the Jupiter-8?

And, BTW, why are you neglecting Arturia emulation? I have it, and I consider it very good (although I would like to have a panel dedicated to editing, without the wasted space of the keyboard replica - the same goes for the CS-80 and pretty much all their emulations).

In what concerns System-100, sure, it would be great, but if the MKS-80 is already expensive, imagine how much it would cost to buy such a system. Main problem is either you already have one, and then you can work whenever you want, or you don't, and then emulating it would be almost impossible (except for a blind recreation using circuit schematics, assuming they exist and we have access to them).
Last edited by fmr on Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fernando (FMR)

Yamaha CS5/10 would be good....you can pick one up for roughly the same price as a 101.

Cool synth too. Not complex enough for some ppl, but i like the old simple ones. They have great character, and force you to really dive in, often leading to cool unexpected results.

fmr wrote:
BlackWinny wrote:If an emulation of a MKS-80 was made one day by Patrick (or whoever else) I'd like it with the look of the MPG-80.
I also think that would be the right approach, yes :) The MPG-80 was probably the most beautiful controller Roland ever made.
I've been doing a bit of internet research into this synth (inspired by this thread) and I've got to say a massive +1. I'd love to see TAL do an MKS-80 emu with an MPG-80 styled GUI!

There are enough of roland-emu around already. Tons of other cool sounding stuff is not emulated at all.
Murderous duck!

Return to “TAL Software”