TAL - Bassline 101

Official support for: tal-software.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...now with Filter FM (via Twitter)

http://soundcloud.com/tal-togu-audio-li ... o-fm-final

That demo sounds really good to my ears.

I am happy to see that Bassline-101 is being given the filter FM as it will expand the the range of sounds that can be made with this synth. All the 101's I have played have been in th original unmodded form, so it's really exciting for me to be able to try out the filter FM myself. I can hardly wait for the next update :)

I did an A/B test between the Bassline-101 and a 101 which I borrowed from my friend about a year ago and I couldn't believe my ears. To me this is the first product that I can comfirm in my own tests (and ears) to be emulating the original perfectly. I was planning to buy myself a real 101 because I miss the two 101's and the 202 that I used to own in the past, but I can honestly say that all the 101-GAS is gone after I bought Bassline-101. I can't believe I actually say this but I prefer Bassline-101 over the original. It sounds absolutely the same but it has some important advantage like the ability to disable the noise floor. TBH I don't fully understand why some developers make analog emulations without including the feature to disable the noise floor. Unlike distortion, which is very desirable to have in many cases, noise is actually the worse feature when it comes to analog gear. My audio interface and any gear I record with it make more than enough noise for my taste. What I try to say is I am really happy to have the option of NOT having the noise there.

I don't want to be ungrateful as Bassline-101 is a really good product already, but somehow I just can't shake the thought of how it would sound if it had a unison mode?

filter303 wrote:I don't want to be ungrateful as Bassline-101 is a really good product already, but somehow I just can't shake the thought of how it would sound if it had a unison mode?
Oh yes please! :)

Patrick tweeted more Filter FM goodness...

http://t.co/8BGVhf1Tjq

Adding FM to any subtractive synth is an absolutely great idea as it broadens the palette of sounds you can make with it so much! :D Thank you!

That's one of the reasons why I like Oberheim Matrix synths so much, since they have FM, too. Great for basses and all kinds of weird or less weird sounds. FM just gives that nice "bite" to many classic analog sounds.

I have nothing against noise, and I love and prefer to hear *subtle* noise in the track, but I definitely agree that it's preferable to have the option to disable it if you want. Subtle noise on the channel can also help with the CPU denormals problem in hosts that don't have the feature to get rid of denormals [Reaper has it]. I'd rather have noise than problem with CPU denormals any day. :D

Cheeers!
Last edited by DuX on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:Adding FM to any subtractive synth is an absolutely great idea as it broadens the palette of sounds you can make with it so much! :D Thank you!

That's one of the reasons why I like Oberheim Matrix synths so much, since they have FM, too. Great for basses and all kinds of weird or less weird sounds. FM just gives that nice "bite" to many classic analog sounds.

Cheeers!
I agree. But the best thing is having an envelope to apply to the fm control! Gives movement to the gnarliness. Unfortunately TAL Bassline doesn't have an extra envelope, but with something like Max for Live which has midi envelope devices, that could be used on the fm parameter.

That's something that I like about the lush-101 is that extra envelope (though I don't have the synth as I don't need the rest of the features). But I'd love to see TAL-BassLine-101 have one aux envelope. Then you could apply that to the filter separately from the amp, or to the fm control for example. It wouldn't have to change the layout either. It could just be a little toggle button beside the envelope to switch between the first and second envelope. Wouldn't change the nature of it or the authenticity of the experience. But I always thought the 101 could use a second assignable envelope. And now with the filter fm, even more reason! I really hope they consider this.

Feature creep alert! Soon it'll be TAL Lush-101! hehe!

Just kidding :D

Well, on that note, the second LFO in lush101 is something I really like... I still prefer bassline101 by far tho... Paradoxally for the authenticity....
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
DuX wrote:Adding FM to any subtractive synth is an absolutely great idea as it broadens the palette of sounds you can make with it so much! :D Thank you!

Cheeers!
I agree. But the best thing is having an envelope to apply to the fm control! Gives movement to the gnarliness. Unfortunately TAL Bassline doesn't have an extra envelope, but with something like Max for Live which has midi envelope devices, that could be used on the fm parameter.

That's something that I like about the lush-101 is that extra envelope (though I don't have the synth as I don't need the rest of the features). But I'd love to see TAL-BassLine-101 have one aux envelope. Then you could apply that to the filter separately from the amp, or to the fm control for example. It wouldn't have to change the layout either. It could just be a little toggle button beside the envelope to switch between the first and second envelope. Wouldn't change the nature of it or the authenticity of the experience. But I always thought the 101 could use a second assignable envelope. And now with the filter fm, even more reason! I really hope they consider this.
Spot on! Yes, an envelope for FM would be a lovely addition, agreed. Or maybe ability to assign the main envelope or LFO to FM?... Matrix-8 has an assignable mod envelope, very handy, indeed. ;)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

awesome buddy!

love it.

There is a way to modulate FM somewhat, actually. Well, it's more accurate to say "influence it". :hihi: If you assign the first waveform [Pulse] as a FM source, you can modulate this waveform with the LFO, MANually, or ENVelope. Still, that doesn't give the results an aux ENV could, so it would be welcome to have it, yes.

But really, just having FM gave this synth so much broader palette of sounds... great! :D

Filter FM is way cool, i don't mind one way or the other if TAL Bassline 101 ends up with extra mod options etc, as long as it still sounds good and doesn't end up too CPU heavy.
i owned and abandoned LuSHoiter for Bassline 101 and i must say, it sounds like a 101. I'm no emulation purist, so the effects and extra envelope (etc) were very appealing on Shoiter (:P), but yeah... TAL Bassline 101 sounds and responds like an SH-101, so i had to get it (as you can surely understand).

DuX wrote:There is a way to modulate FM somewhat, actually. Well, it's more accurate to say "influence it". :hihi: If you assign the first waveform [Pulse] as a FM source, you can modulate this waveform with the LFO, MANually, or ENVelope. Still, that doesn't give the results an aux ENV could, so it would be welcome to have it, yes.
Cool tip! But yeah an aux envelope would be much more useful to modulate any of the FM amounts, also better for short sounds. I guess the triangle lfo can act sort of like an envelope for short sounds and is invertable for an upwards or downwards fast modulation. I'm assuming the lfo can be retriggered by midi (TRIG button?) Not with my setup atm.

Here are some new sounds and some of them are using the FM mode from 101 Bassline....

https://soundcloud.com/xenox-afl/fn-xen ... -vol1-demo
Voice, sample and factory content developer Particular-Sound / Facebook / Soundcloud

A few questions from someone who's not used to 101.
How bassline 101 and lush 101 are different? Which one to choose?
I'm already owner of Diva, would I get a whole new range of sounds with this bassline?
Are both implementation of the Juno comparable? (TAL's) Thanks!

Return to “TAL Software”