Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

TAL-Sampler's manual could use an update. The one currently linked:

https://tal-software.com//downloads/doc ... Manual.pdf

From the TAL-Sampler page:

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-sampler

Is way out of date.

Or maybe there is another, more up to date manual somewhere else?

:tu:

Yes, it's way out of date. Missing many new features in TAL-Sampler.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

An update to the manual sure would help new users... like me...

Yeah, this a problem - I'm actually having trouble learning the software because of it. I'm sure the new features are all welcome additions, but there's just such a huge mismatch with what the manual describes that I'm not even sure why it's offered. At the very least, there should be a note about how outdated it is.

I'm able to decipher a lot of stuff by experimenting, and by searching the store page's History section and googling any jargon I don't understand, but there's been so much to keep track of that the process is starting to feel downright archaeological. And I haven't been taking enough notes.

This sampler's meant to make things simple and fun, and yes, the basics definitely are those things.

But then there's stuff like "Mute Groups: 1-8," which is just esoteric. All I get from the History section is that Mute Groups were added. Cool; good for them.

Top-left on the GUI (tacitly the 'first' button) is "Embed Audio," and I genuinely don't know what is happening when I press this. There's a brief flash of an empty window, so presumably it's something, but the term doesn't appear on the store page. If I search for "embed," I'm warned of an experimental feature I shouldn't use. Well, damn. Sorry. The feature's been updated since, but it's not clear if it's still just an experiment or not. Am I fixing things by clicking this forbidden button a second time (so it's no longer lit up), or just making them worse? What does it even mean to 'be careful' when clicking a button?

These are just two glaring examples; I could go on like this.

I'm honestly wondering if I should just install the version described by the manual, and then upgrade gradually, so I can deal with the new features one at a time, rather than all at once and without explanations (the main downside of this approach is that there have been about eight hundred billion updates).

And yet in spite of all of this, I still love TAL-Sampler. But come on, basic documentation, please.

I admit the manual has flummoxed me more than once.

Yes definitely, I’ve messaged support about issues in the past. This could’ve been avoided if the manual was upto date.

Return to “TAL Software”