Need advices about Ipad 2/3/mini for music/audio production and live performance

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,
I'm new to the Ipad/tablet computer music world (yep..I know..they're out there since long...) so I'd like to ask some opinions Taking time to answer is really appreciate!
From your point of view and experience is it viable the Ipad 2 for music/audio production/sound design and live performance, bundled with midi controller (mostly for electronic music - ambient sounds - idm - glitch - synth pop - sound scapes and so on) or is still better to rely on a laptop even if some years old?

I'm obviously in use to work with pc/laptop and all the bundled stuff (software, vst, standalone versions, host, daw and so on..) but I can see there are plenty of apps for music and sound design out there nowadays and people already with experience using it since long in live performance for example.
And how about audio latency on this version?
Any opinion is much welcome.

Thanks
D.
Last edited by Diego_C on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

anyone?

8)

An ipad2 is going to be weaker than even a fairly old laptop- slower processor, less RAM and storage.

Its strengths are touch sensitivity and low price of apps vs VST plugins. There are some great apps and all kinds of interesting controllers. It's not going to replace a laptop with a host, plugins, etc., but could be a good supplement to a bigger setup.
Last edited by Aural Chaos on Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is an alternative to ipad for music, Asus T100 Full WIndows 8 Tablet for around 300 :

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 6&t=405737

@Aural Chaos

I think I agree with you and will go for an old laptop by now.

@ UltraJv

Thanks, though it's double expensive comparied to the Ipad 2 and Laptop (used) I found, in good conditions.

However checking the info I saw it's simply an Atom, 1,33 GHz but working at 64 bit, which, I may say, is pretty close to some dual core tiny laptops cheaper than this, so not going for a touch interface but using an old school notebook with tiny screen with that cpu or a dual core should be enough to run even a light daw, let say as Reaper, and some Reaktor stuff? Am I wrong?

Thanks for your reply
Bests
D.

Diego_C wrote:@Aural Chaos

I think I agree with you and will go for an old laptop by now.
Don't get me wrong- I have an ipad2 and love it!

:)
I have a desktop which is fine and in few days luckily someone will borrow me a tiny tablet dual core with android 4.2 but I guess is not good for using it to produce/edit something on the go when not in the studio and even more to be used for playing some gigs out, mostly electronic stuff.

So I found a cheap laptop and a cheap Ipad 2 as well and I was asking myself if the Ipad 2 can be a valuable substitute in place of a laptop, to be used live, or at the end is still better to get the old laptop and then being able to use daw,vst, plugins and asio soundcard.
That's it
:)

Sell off the 2 and try and get an iPad 3 or higher - you won't regret it :)

The thing I like about the ipad for recording, is that the there is hardware and
software specifically for it. Also, they don't make noise and there doesn't seem
to be any complaints about latency.

Don't make the mistake of focusing on tech specs, without giving equal weight to how you plan to use the iPad in your workflow. For example, if you know you are going to focus on hi res audio in a real time environment, you won't be happy with a slow iPad. On the other hand, if you plan to use the iPad as an external synth or control surface, you will be more than fine with an iPad 2. Lastly, buy what you can afford, then maximize its use. It's oddly liberating when you don't have to keep an eye out for the "next great app" and instead focus on what you can do with the apps that perform well on your system. Like i always say, "my Fender Jazz Bass is an awesome instrument, not so much when I try to use it as a baseball bat."

Thanks again for all your responses.
Actually I fixed an old laptop so I am able to use it.
But speaking about Ipad I found at an affordable price both the first Ipad mini (no retina, 512 ram) and the Ipad 3rd generation (retina and 1g ram) they both have the same cpu, and they differ obviously for the size and kind of screen and the ram as said.
So I'm asking myself among these 2 for music and audio production on this kind of tool, more or less they are ok, or the Ipad 3 is better considering its double ram.
What's your experience? Also concerning the use of a synth and rendering it in a daw as garageband for example, and similar operations and the use of audiobus .
What would you prefer among these 2 Ipad?
Tnx

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”