Review (short) of iFretless Bass and iFretless Guitar

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The short answer?

Avoid these two apps at this stage - the MIDI implementation is haphazard at best. Sliders either don't work as they are supposed to or work intermittently or simply do not work.

MIDI channel for external input is not saved. There are no "patches" that one can save. The different instruments cannot be selected via MIDI, these can only be changed by accessing the app directly. In the studio this is not that big a deal, but it is in a live situation.

On some instruments (particularly the guitar app) the background digital noise floor is unacceptable.

No MIDI CC 64 is recognised (although they say they will fix this -as well as the MIDI channel selected).
Pitch bend does not reset properly leaving you with a bass that is (in my case) up to 6 semi-tones out of tune. And no amount if using the MIDI pitch bend sliders (in the app or from the connected controller) does anything.

These are great for a toy to muck around with using JUST the ipad (and who would seriously use this to strum along with at a gig - really??? I mean an iPad with a strap around you neck - :hihi: !!)

This is only esoteric studio use at best, at this point. The apps have HUGE potential, but they are well underdone and at $12+ each , not cheap (relative to iOS apps - not normal software).

As always YMMV, but my recommendation is to avoid them at this stage. I am ditching them to await a more professional app from the developers.

If anyone has questions please feel free to ask as I am often unsure how much to write.

Thanks for the heads-up Miden. I have iFretless Sax, but the interface just does not click with me at all. I have noticed that they are updating the apps occasionally, but mostly bugfixes.
I want to like it, but I would have to spend some significant time to "get it".
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Yeah the devs have told me they did not have keys players in mind when creating it, but that said, they are keen to incorporate capabilities for MIDI keyboards and indeed are starting to work to that end.

Time will tell if they can do it.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”