CAUSTIC audio rack for Android

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another +1 for chords. :)

SingleCell wrote:
Cordelia wrote:It is interesting that when I search for "caustic" in the Amazon app store I get Chordbot and other music apps as my search result. At least they have Caustic in the right category. :shrug:
Ok, well it looks like the app itself now shows up as available on my Fire, but not the unlock key so you're stuck in demo mode. They still haven't replied to my inquiry but I hope it's just a matter of a few hours until the key (and expansion pack) gets approved for Kindle as well.
I should have checked this thread first. I just left a message at your site about the key issue. Please disregard.
Caustic looks beautiful on the Kindle Fire! This is such a great app. The future has arrived.

:D

Thank you!

I'm not sure what you have planned for Caustic, but if I can add a feature request, a pattern transpose function would be great, so after copy/pasting a pattern, you could easily change the chords it is playing, it would be a good stand-in case an arpagiator isn't in the works (but I love me a good arp!). If you include an arp, please have a look at Catanya for what I consider the most accessible and musical arp around. Thanks for humoring me :)
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Amazon is killing us Kindlers here... Would the androidpit key unlock the Amazon version? I want to get you paid so I can export tracks!

SingleCell wrote:Well, the brand doesn't make a difference, but the processor that's in it does. Caustic requires an ARMv7-class processor.

There is no country restriction for the app, just hardware filtering based on CPU.

Oh wow, glad to know this. There's a comp chart on Wikipedia that shows processor types for different brands:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... id_devices

I guess most users would know all this but I didn't. So, the Archos 101 I had my eye on has an ARM Cortex A8, would that work? The other one I've been leaning towards, the Acer a200(twice as much RAM as the 101), probably has an Nvidia Tegra 2(as on the other Asus models listed). In fact, a lot of tablets have the Nvidia Tegra 2, including the Xoom, the Galaxy Tab, the Sony Tablet S, the Asus EEE pads... Are these all out of the running? Or is it just that it requires a processor at least as powerful as the ARM? Forgive me if I missed an earlier answer to this question.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

KiwiDewd wrote:Amazon is killing us Kindlers here... Would the androidpit key unlock the Amazon version? I want to get you paid so I can export tracks!
Yeah, sorry they replied that my app wasn't approved for Kindle because it didn't do anything... even though I specified in the instructions they needed to test it with the full version. I made them another version that launches Caustic when you try to "run" the key, I just hope they will have installed it this time.

Anyway to answer your question, yes the AndroidPit key will work just fine with the Kindle version if you've got "non-market sources" ticked.

Moe Shinola wrote:I guess most users would know all this but I didn't. So, the Archos 101 I had my eye on has an ARM Cortex A8, would that work? The other one I've been leaning towards, the Acer a200(twice as much RAM as the 101), probably has an Nvidia Tegra 2(as on the other Asus models listed). In fact, a lot of tablets have the Nvidia Tegra 2, including the Xoom, the Galaxy Tab, the Sony Tablet S, the Asus EEE pads... Are these all out of the running? Or is it just that it requires a processor at least as powerful as the ARM? Forgive me if I missed an earlier answer to this question.
Sorry to cause confusion. About 99% of Android devices are running ARM-compatible chips (this is akin to the dominant "x86" chips of the PC world). ARM is a design, not a brand. (The same way AMD makes Intel-compatible x86 chips). The only non-ARM design I've seen on Android is some of the Viewsonic tablets, those are x86. I should probably just get my ass in gear and support those too, it just bloats the APK size for the rest of you.

Cortex A8 is fine, it's definitely ARMv7-compatible and I know from users that Caustic runs just fine on the A101. The Tegra2 is also an ARMv7-based design, just faster than the Cortex.

Bottom line: Unless you bought the absolute cheapest tablet you could find today, you should be fine. Some of the older "bargain" tablets ran ARMv6 chips and those couldn't run Caustic... but I've seen 80$ tablets out of China recently that had ARMv7s so I think those days might be over.

SingleCell wrote:
Moe Shinola wrote:I guess most users would know all this but I didn't. So, the Archos 101 I had my eye on has an ARM Cortex A8, would that work? The other one I've been leaning towards, the Acer a200(twice as much RAM as the 101), probably has an Nvidia Tegra 2(as on the other Asus models listed). In fact, a lot of tablets have the Nvidia Tegra 2, including the Xoom, the Galaxy Tab, the Sony Tablet S, the Asus EEE pads... Are these all out of the running? Or is it just that it requires a processor at least as powerful as the ARM? Forgive me if I missed an earlier answer to this question.
Sorry to cause confusion. About 99% of Android devices are running ARM-compatible chips (this is akin to the dominant "x86" chips of the PC world). ARM is a design, not a brand. (The same way AMD makes Intel-compatible x86 chips). The only non-ARM design I've seen on Android is some of the Viewsonic tablets, those are x86. I should probably just get my ass in gear and support those too, it just bloats the APK size for the rest of you.

Cortex A8 is fine, it's definitely ARMv7-compatible and I know from users that Caustic runs just fine on the A101. The Tegra2 is also an ARMv7-based design, just faster than the Cortex.

Bottom line: Unless you bought the absolute cheapest tablet you could find today, you should be fine. Some of the older "bargain" tablets ran ARMv6 chips and those couldn't run Caustic... but I've seen 80$ tablets out of China recently that had ARMv7s so I think those days might be over.

Thanks!
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

SingleCell wrote:
KiwiDewd wrote:Amazon is killing us Kindlers here... Would the androidpit key unlock the Amazon version? I want to get you paid so I can export tracks!
Yeah, sorry they replied that my app wasn't approved for Kindle because it didn't do anything... even though I specified in the instructions they needed to test it with the full version. I made them another version that launches Caustic when you try to "run" the key, I just hope they will have installed it this time.

Anyway to answer your question, yes the AndroidPit key will work just fine with the Kindle version if you've got "non-market sources" ticked.
Does this mean I can transfer a key file from my phone (Caustic installed on my droid) to my Kindle?
That would be good, I'm tired of working on this same song.

It must be frustrating trying to deal with this stuff. I hope Amazon gets it right soon.

Heads up, the key is on Amazon now!

KiwiDewd wrote:Heads up, the key is on Amazon now!
Thanks for posting!
Hooray.

Cordelia wrote:
Thanks for posting!
Hooray.
Yay, FINALLY!

It might be too late, and I'm sorry I should have offered before, but if you guys have already bought it on another device and want a key for the Kindle, just drop me a line, I'll send you the APK.

SingleCell wrote:
Cordelia wrote:
Thanks for posting!
Hooray.
Yay, FINALLY!

It might be too late, and I'm sorry I should have offered before, but if you guys have already bought it on another device and want a key for the Kindle, just drop me a line, I'll send you the APK.
Thanks, SingleCell, that is very generous. It is too late :) but I want to support you in your endeavors. $7.99 for Caustic is a steal.

Thank you for porting to Kindle Fire. I am having so much fun.

Hey guys was wondering if there is way to record audio from an outside source on my kindle fire, say a microphone and use the track to modify in caustic? Thanks for the help!

stayxogold wrote:Hey guys was wondering if there is way to record audio from an outside source on my kindle fire, say a microphone and use the track to modify in caustic? Thanks for the help!
You can use an app that records to WAV like TapeRecorder and import into Caustic's sampler, but you aren't going to get audio tracks in Caustic (not yet anyhow). There is a beta of a multitrack recorder posted recently here http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343465 and there are apps like JT4 and 4track that you can import your exported Caustic audio tracks and add audio from the phone microphone. I did that wil JT4 just fine, though you are dealing with a phone mic :) So I guess we need 'Rewire' for Android :D
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”