CAUSTIC audio rack for Android

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

IncarnateX wrote: Though it is not easy to be new to Android I must say. And there are still few problems, namely that I can not buy any of the expansion packs from the play store because it still says my device is not compatible. So I can only buy from the AndroidPit but none of the packs are uploaded there. Seems like I have to do without them.
Hi IncarnateX,

Just saw your post. About the expansion packs and your device being "not compatible", can you download the free ones? Or is the problem only when you try to purchase the commercial ones?

zvon wrote:
IncarnateX wrote: Though it is not easy to be new to Android I must say. And there are still few problems, namely that I can not buy any of the expansion packs from the play store because it still says my device is not compatible. So I can only buy from the AndroidPit but none of the packs are uploaded there. Seems like I have to do without them.
Hi IncarnateX,

Just saw your post. About the expansion packs and your device being "not compatible", can you download the free ones? Or is the problem only when you try to purchase the commercial ones?
Can not load any of them. Singlecell just provided my a version of Caustic that can run on an ARM v.6 processor, but the market version requires ARM 7, so anything related to Caustic can not be downloaded from the market but only from AndroidPit and there are no packs yet as far as I get the message from my phone.

My packs are not on the Android Pit yet but email me at info[at]lesproductionszvon.com and I will send you download links for my free packs. If they work on your phone and that you want my commercial packs, I could then arrange for you to buy them directly from my site.

zvon wrote:My packs are not on the Android Pit yet but email me at info[at]lesproductionszvon.com and I will send you download links for my free packs. If they work on your phone and that you want my commercial packs, I could then arrange for you to buy them directly from my site.
Thats very kind of you. I ' ll mail you right away.

Cheers

IncarnateX wrote: Thats very kind of you. I ' ll mail you right away.

Cheers
You're welcome.
Email sent!

zvon wrote:
IncarnateX wrote: Thats very kind of you. I ' ll mail you right away.

Cheers
You're welcome.
Email sent!
Installed. Thanks a lot. And thanks to Singlecell and Cordelia for their links too. One week ago I stood with my first Android product and thought that running Caustic would be a pipedream and just look at me now. KVR at it's very best :D

And BTW: While nothing really beats my iPad 2 for mobile production I must say that it makes about 250% more sense to me making handheld music on a 4,3 screen than on the small 3,5 screen of my iPod touch. I haven't made any music on my iPod since I got iPad 2 and with Caustic running on my Android loaded with my favorite samples, the iPod is surely history. And since I sequence: F.U.C.K latency. Thanks again guys.

Cheers

My expansion packs for Caustic are now on the Android Pit.

I'm new to the Android thing (I'm thinking about picking up one of the cheap $199 systems). The question I have, is do developers have to create separate versions of their software for each processor? I thought everything was supposed to be backwards compatible.

In other words, wouldn't a device with an ARM 7 chip be able to use software designed for an ARM 6 chip? It makes sense that a v6 may not be able to run a v7, but one would think that a v7 would be able to run a v6 app if they are designed for the same OS version or newer (ie 2.3 and up).

Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

audiojunkie wrote:I'm new to the Android thing (I'm thinking about picking up one of the cheap $199 systems). The question I have, is do developers have to create separate versions of their software for each processor? I thought everything was supposed to be backwards compatible.

In other words, wouldn't a device with an ARM 7 chip be able to use software designed for an ARM 6 chip? It makes sense that a v6 may not be able to run a v7, but one would think that a v7 would be able to run a v6 app if they are designed for the same OS version or newer (ie 2.3 and up).

Thanks

--Sean
Hi Sean, it's a bit complicated but ill try and keep this as broad as possible for simplicity. Most android apps are written in Java which just works on all processors. Caustic and other apps which want to go after maximum performance, are written in native code and need to be compiled for each supported processor.

In my case ,Caustic is compiled for ARMv7 which is the most powerful mass market chip used in Android devices right now. The ARMv7 is much better at math than the ARMv6. Code compiled for V6 will run on v7 but not vice versa. Some v6 devices can still run Caustic ok under normal load, but my problem is if include the v6 libraries in the market version, I'll get terrible reviews from people with 500mhz processors on tiny screens saying they cant see a thing or the sound is chopped up from underruns.

Hope that makes some sense.
Ill probably put up the ARMv6 version as a public download on my website soon, for those who want to try like IncarnateX.

SingleCell wrote:Ill probably put up the ARMv6 version as a public download on my website soon, for those who want to try like IncarnateX.
And I am doing fine. It runs smoothly on my Medion. Just to let you know. :)

Cheers

SingleCell wrote:
audiojunkie wrote:I'm new to the Android thing (I'm thinking about picking up one of the cheap $199 systems). The question I have, is do developers have to create separate versions of their software for each processor? I thought everything was supposed to be backwards compatible.

Thanks

--Sean
Hi Sean, it's a bit complicated but ill try and keep this as broad as possible for simplicity. Most android apps are written in Java which just works on all processors. Caustic and other apps which want to go after maximum performance, are written in native code and need to be compiled for each supported processor.

In my case ,Caustic is compiled for ARMv7 which is the most powerful mass market chip used in Android devices right now. The ARMv7 is much better at math than the ARMv6. Code compiled for V6 will run on v7 but not vice versa. Some v6 devices can still run Caustic ok under normal load, but my problem is if include the v6 libraries in the market version, I'll get terrible reviews from people with 500mhz processors on tiny screens saying they cant see a thing or the sound is chopped up from underruns.

Hope that makes some sense.
Ill probably put up the ARMv6 version as a public download on my website soon, for those who want to try like IncarnateX.
This makes perfect sense. Thank you! :-) I'm holding off on buying my machine until either the ASUS MeMO 370T or the Google Nexus Tablet are released. Supposedly they both use a Tegra 3 quad-core processor. I'm not sure if that is just a video chip and there is also an ARM chip on there, or if that is the actual chip that the device uses. Either way, does having a Tegra 3 quad-core processor require you to do a separate compile for it?

Thanks,

--Sean
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

I wouldnt recommend getting a high end Tablet just for audio. Until Android does something about latency anways. No one knows if it will happen or when. Its not down to hardware so that wont make any difference. I have Samsung Nexus S phone with I.C.S- its now £200. Caustic is great fun on it.

UltraJv wrote:I wouldnt recommend getting a high end Tablet just for audio. Until Android does something about latency anways. No one knows if it will happen or when. Its not down to hardware so that wont make any difference. I have Samsung Nexus S phone with I.C.S- its now £200. Caustic is great fun on it.
Supposedly, both of the tablets I mention are going to be between $199 to $249. The current crop of tablets in that price range are not very good. I'm just trying to get the most for my money--not get a high-end tablet. :-)

My wife is the one that is wanting to have a tablet. I just want to be sure that I can use it too. ;-) Besides, I just sequence things. I wouldn't try to actually play on a tablet. :-)

--Sean

Update: The rumors on the net are that the ASUS MeMO 370T and the Google Nexus Tablet are the SAME DEVICE and will cost around $199. Very interesting development! :-)

--Sean

audiojunkie wrote:Update: The rumors on the net are that the ASUS MeMO 370T and the Google Nexus Tablet are the SAME DEVICE and will cost around $199. Very interesting development! :-)

--Sean
Nice! I'm shopping a bit, but I want a larger screen. I've got the Kindle with the 7" screen now. It's a good size, really, in part because it's so easy to hold a 7" screen with one hand.
These tablets are getting cheaper. They are a lot of fun. I'll be interested to find out what you purchase, if you do, and how you like it.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”