CAUSTIC audio rack for Android

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi

Thanks for this App, It's the best Android Music app I've used.

Hearing you will be adding pattern editing and automation editing is great news, It's just the two functions I was missing. I will be seriously losing some time to this app with these in place. :-)

Thanks

Simon.

picked this up this afternoon and have been dinking around it. I will add my voice to the ones wanting to be able to define a pattern length.

is there a way to copy and paste more than a single note? That would go a long way to getting me where I need to go as well :)

And if I am understanding correctly everything has to go into the sequencer right now? I can;t just hit record and play the synth?

shadoe42 wrote:picked this up this afternoon and have been dinking around it. I will add my voice to the ones wanting to be able to define a pattern length.
Pattern editors for the synths are in my build right now and working. Limited to 16 steps for now. Still lots of work to do before release though.
shadoe42 wrote: is there a way to copy and paste more than a single note? That would go a long way to getting me where I need to go as well :)
Yes, have a look at this excellent post on another Caustic thread:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 56&start=3
shadoe42 wrote: And if I am understanding correctly everything has to go into the sequencer right now? I can;t just hit record and play the synth?
Correct, with latency, it's hard to record live, but I might give it a try in pattern mode for the synths. If it's usable, it'll go in.

Even with latency it can be useful though. At least to me :)

And good deal about the pattern editors :)

SingleCell wrote: Correct, with latency, it's hard to record live, but I might give it a try in pattern mode for the synths. If it's usable, it'll go in.
would it be possible to correct the position of the recorded notes by taking into account the latency of the android device?
so after recording, before the notes are placed in the pianoroll, the correction is applied.

XGmode wrote:
SingleCell wrote: Correct, with latency, it's hard to record live, but I might give it a try in pattern mode for the synths. If it's usable, it'll go in.
would it be possible to correct the position of the recorded notes by taking into account the latency of the android device?
so after recording, before the notes are placed in the pianoroll, the correction is applied.
Yup, that's not a problem. The problem is playing along when the notes you're playing come out late, I find it throws my timing right off. I guess even if you got thrown off or the app "guessed" wrong, you'd still have the notes there, you could just move around afterwards... when it's ready to test I'll poke you guys to get your impressions.

Now that I'm out of work, I've got 3 days a week on app programming now, so things are moving a bit quicker. I'll have some screenshots and features list for Caustic 2.0 on the blog soon but I'm pretty excited about how things are going. I just got the "dynamic rack" working yesterday, I put 4 subsynths and 2 beatboxes in and jammed along with their new pattern sequencers :D

SingleCell wrote:I just got the "dynamic rack" working yesterday, I put 4 subsynths and 2 beatboxes in and jammed along with their new pattern sequencers :D
Just what I've been waiting for! :D

@SingleCell

First of all congrats on this diamond of an app...It's just the thing i'm looking for since I'm a looooong time reason junkie...I immediately saw the Reason in the Caustic :) So - long story short - I'M GOING CRAZY OVER THIS APP....BUT SADLY.......I have a Samsung galaxy ace GT-S5830(gingerbread 2.3,-800Mhz ARM? chip),for which it says that the app isn't compatable with.......Am I hoping for too much?PLS PLS PLS SingleCell what about us the''really dirty folks''? :) I would really like to own this app..........Oh and one more thing:It's really admirable how you are taking time to consult the customers....Really hats-off......Cheers

CausticFan wrote:@SingleCell

First of all congrats on this diamond of an app...It's just the thing i'm looking for since I'm a looooong time reason junkie...I immediately saw the Reason in the Caustic :) So - long story short - I'M GOING CRAZY OVER THIS APP....BUT SADLY.......I have a Samsung galaxy ace GT-S5830(gingerbread 2.3,-800Mhz ARM? chip),for which it says that the app isn't compatable with.......Am I hoping for too much?PLS PLS PLS SingleCell what about us the''really dirty folks''? :) I would really like to own this app..........Oh and one more thing:It's really admirable how you are taking time to consult the customers....Really hats-off......Cheers
Hi, most ARMv6 phones have too low a resolution to render and make out all the little knobs and thin lines in Caustic, which is why I've restricted it to ARMv7. Plus some ARMv6 are really underpowered for this kind of signal processing. 800 MHz is probably enough if you don't go too crazy with the subsynth voices and effects. Try this ARMv6 version if you'd like to see for yourself. I keep saying I'll do it, and I haven't yet, but the plan is also to make a Caustic mini, and have it restricted to a few 303's and a drum machine, with larger knobs for small screens.

Anyway, here's ARMv6 Caustic 1.2, I'll pull this link down in a few days though..
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28029604/Causti ... _ARMv6.apk

@SingleCell

Ok got it.Thank you very much.I'll try it,see how it works and post a response if u like...I think it shouldn't be a problem,since the resolution is better with the gingerbread update...Its HVGA 640x480 now I think.Or is this just camera resolution ???? :/...Anyway thanks again....oh and also thanks for the uber fast response :D:D...You sir rock...stay well......

@SingleCell
It works....I know what u mean by the resolution thing now...but i can manage fine since i have small fingers :D The only button that's a bit problematic to toggle is the pattern/song button,BUT like I said its managable.The other buttons are no problem...The processor is doing remarkably well even with heavy loads of synths....Its just one thing:from time to time the sound becomes a bit ''scratchy'' or hissy..But then it goes away by itself...What could be the reason for that?Maybe RAM?And just another minor thing is that the letters in the synth lfo and osc windows are scrambled and a bit difficult to read,but still-readable.........Otherwise my mind is blown this is off the hook app...So where can i buy this ARMv6 version??Or is this the same version that's on the app market??....I wanna buy it today.....Thanks again and cheers.....

CausticFan wrote:@SingleCell
It works....I know what u mean by the resolution thing now...but i can manage fine since i have small fingers :D The only button that's a bit problematic to toggle is the pattern/song button,BUT like I said its managable.The other buttons are no problem...The processor is doing remarkably well even with heavy loads of synths....Its just one thing:from time to time the sound becomes a bit ''scratchy'' or hissy..But then it goes away by itself...What could be the reason for that?Maybe RAM?And just another minor thing is that the letters in the synth lfo and osc windows are scrambled and a bit difficult to read,but still-readable.........Otherwise my mind is blown this is off the hook app...So where can i buy this ARMv6 version??Or is this the same version that's on the app market??....I wanna buy it today.....Thanks again and cheers.....
Glad to hear it works. Yup, as I said the UI was designed with a 800x480 resolution in mind so some of the stuff will be completely garbled or even missing on yours (i believe yours is 320x240, at that's a hardware thing, not upgradable via any updates). I've heard of the hiss bug from one other ARMv6 person, but I don't have my ARMv6 test device right now (I borrow one from a fellow dev from time to time) so I'm not sure what causes it. There's lots different between the processors so it could be a number of things...

You should be able to buy the unlock from this app, but I'm not sure what happens with updates in this case. If you DO purchase it, just send me an email at cauticapp@gmail.com and I'll keep you notified of any new versions.

Hello,

First of all, really enjoying the app. Just got my new Toshiba Thrive and Caustic was the only reason I didn't get an Ipad. Looking forward to the future updates that will really make this great for tablets. Now on to the questions....

1. I am showing latency at 93 ms. Anything to be done or configured to improve this? Hard to compose realtime because of the delay when I hit a keyboard key.

2. I did not have an SD card installed when I first installed Caustic... I would like to load some additional wave files. How do I point Caustic at my SD card?

The Thrive is a Nvidia Tegra 2. Dual core Arm-9. Seems I should have horsepower to burn...what do you say????

Thanks,
synth
"..because anybody can
or should be able to rock off turntables
Grab the mic, plug it in and begin
..." -KRS-One
www.myspace.com/synthlegend

Sielsynth wrote:
1. I am showing latency at 93 ms. Anything to be done or configured to improve this? Hard to compose realtime because of the delay when I hit a keyboard key.
Install a custom rom ( some latency improvement AFAIK ), or wait for Google to finally see us ( the problem needs to be fixed in the Android OS, we're still waiting for that..Android ICS won't fix it AFAIK ).

Caustic rocks indeed, just don't expect to play realtime for now.

Cheers.

Sielsynth wrote: 1. I am showing latency at 93 ms. Anything to be done or configured to improve this? Hard to compose realtime because of the delay when I hit a keyboard key.
XGmode covered that one pretty well.
Sielsynth wrote: 2. I did not have an SD card installed when I first installed Caustic... I would like to load some additional wave files. How do I point Caustic at my SD card?
Caustic will install its demo samples to whatever your device considers "external storage". Best way to find out is to connect the device to a computer via USB, you should see the "external storage" come up as a USB drive. There will be a "caustic" folder, that's were you can put your WAVs.
Sielsynth wrote: The Thrive is a Nvidia Tegra 2. Dual core Arm-9. Seems I should have horsepower to burn...what do you say????
Probably, I don't have any recent devices in my arsenal, just my trusty Nexus One phone and a little Nook Color. When Caustic 2 comes out, you'll be able to fill up your rack with subsynths, drive all channels and bring that pretty thing to its knees ;-)

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”