Midi data to Ipad from Live

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it possible to send midi data from Ableton Live(or any sequencer) to the iPad to use it as a sound module?
Who is this doing this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

Bump- I'm interested in this too. I've GOT to know how to hook up iMS-20 with FL.

re-bump, is this possible? without iConnect midi?
Who is this doing this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic funkin'?

You'd need some sort of MIDI interface though - of course I'd prefer iRig MIDI but hey... ;)

Camera connection kit and a cheap USB to midi lead will do the job as long as the program sends midi out to the iPad it wouldn't be any different to plugging in a keyboard would it?
Instant human just add coffee

Well, there are several possibilities: If you are on a Mac, the easiest way is wireless MIDI. On a PC that works as well, as long as you can set up a ad hoc network. Going through a router does not work due to huge latency.

Otherwise, you can use the Camera connection kit, but then you still need basically two MIDI interfaces. Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to go directly from the iPad to USB on the PC or MAC. I don't understand why this is not possible, but I have not yet seen any such way.

I personally ended up buying an Alesis IO dock on ebay. You get them for about £80 when you keep on looking.

The cheapest solution would probably be to buy a CCK and two simple USB-MIDI cables, but then you still have to modify one of them and replace the male MIDI connectors by female ones, so that you can connect one to the other.

Hope this helps...

martin_l wrote:. Going through a router does not work due to huge latency.
Not necessarily. My latency through my router is the same as ad hoc. Most of the time very low.

T-CM11 wrote:
Not necessarily. My latency through my router is the same as ad hoc. Most of the time very low.
Oh, you are lucky then. I don't know why, but for me a rtpMIDI connection via the router simply does not work. Dropouts, missing notes, hanging notes, you name it... But, it also might be something else on my PC (Win 7)...?

martin_l wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
Oh, you are lucky then. I don't know why, but for me a rtpMIDI connection via the router simply does not work. Dropouts, missing notes, hanging notes, you name it... But, it also might be something else on my PC (Win 7)...?
And no such problems with ad hoc? Sounds to me like an issue with your router. What kind of router do you have? Is it an ISP provided modem/router combination? Mine is a Linksys E2000.

martin_l wrote:I don't understand why this is not possible, but I have not yet seen any such way.
Same here. I'd give up plastic keyboard controllers for glass if I could get MIDI down the data cable and USB directly into the computer. No idea why this isn't a no-brainer.

I too have latency that too high through wireless with dropped notes, lag, etc.

> Same here. I'd give up plastic keyboard controllers for glass if I
> could get MIDI down the data cable and USB directly into the computer.

Check out iConnectMIDI. It has been a great device which has easily brought all of my equipment (iPad, USB keyboard, MIDI keyboards/racks, and computer) all to talk with nearly zero latency.

Check out Rheyne's videos on YouTube. He uses the iPad as a MIDI controller (Lemur app) to his computer.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”