iPad Sound Module

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey there, everyone. Please forgive a noob question: Anyone know a good app that allows the iPad/iPhone to become a good sound module? I play live and have a pretty limited set of voices to use. I've seen sampletank, but wonder what else is out there that people like. To be clear, I'm not interested in sequencing or editing so much, just a good set of sounds to play though an iRig.

Thanks,

Caseous

So you need a good sound module. You already mentioned one of the best on the iTunes store with SampleTank for iPad, but you also mention a good set of sounds to play through an iRig.

Are you going to be using this for processing effects as well or are you talking about iRig MIDI to be able to control your iPad with a MIDI capable controller?
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Thanks for your reply. I'm not so worried about effects. I just need a good bank of sounds. I'll play my controller and that will trigger the sounds in the iPad. Pretty basic, I think. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Caseous.

caseous wrote:Thanks for your reply. I'm not so worried about effects. I just need a good bank of sounds. I'll play my controller and that will trigger the sounds in the iPad. Pretty basic, I think. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Caseous.
Sampletank is probably one of the better options then, if that's all you need. The sound quality is great, and with the add-on options there's a ton of stuff available. GarageBand is cool too, but its more DAW-centric and doesn't have nearly the selection, despite the ones available being pretty good.

There's also stuff like Animoog and Nanostudio for the more odd stuff. It depends on the music you do.

Both SampleTank and GarageBand together will supply you with many great sounds. GarageBand has a limited set of sounds and even more limited on types of sounds, but what it does have are quite good. For just $5 it has a great sound bank. The drawbars and switches on the organ are really great to help you find just that right sound.

Neither of these are very in-depth in the amount of sound editing capabilities (other than GBs Organ). But there is enough editing to do some little tweaks (Freq. Cutoff, Res, Attack) here and there. I have already come up with several new sounds in GarageBand, but I pretty much stick with the presets in SampleTank.

iPlogger wrote:Both SampleTank and GarageBand together will supply you with many great sounds. GarageBand has a limited set of sounds and even more limited on types of sounds, but what it does have are quite good. For just $5 it has a great sound bank. The drawbars and switches on the organ are really great to help you find just that right sound.

Neither of these are very in-depth in the amount of sound editing capabilities (other than GBs Organ). But there is enough editing to do some little tweaks (Freq. Cutoff, Res, Attack) here and there. I have already come up with several new sounds in GarageBand, but I pretty much stick with the presets in SampleTank.
Yeah, this is a good point. GB is worth it simply because it IS only $5, and what it does do, it does well. Animoog friggin' rocks for the whacky stuff. I definitely recommend it.

If it's a rompler you're after, I think Sampletank, Garageband and Fairlight are about it. There are a few others that specialize in a particular category of instrument.

Though SampleTank and Garageband have some really good conventional instrument sounds, they both somewhat lack in the Synthy / Analog type sounds compared to other apps that are out there.

If you want some great sounding synth patches that also allow for some tweaking, both Animoog (which someone already mentioned) and Sunrizer are fantastic. Animoog is on sale right now ($0.99 for iPhone and $9.99 for iPad) as is Sunrizer ($2.99 for iPhone and $4.99 for iPad). Both have a great set of virtual analog presets that allow for some great easy tweaking and both synths are meant for performance playing (one note on Animoog - playing via iRig midi requires turning Midi on in the settings page - I don't think it's on by default).

Another good contender for really nice "soundscapes" that also makes it incredibly easy to tweak for performances is Alchemy Mobile, which is universal and comes with 50 sounds for free and is $19.99 to upgrade to the Pro version.

My 2 cents.

It's a rompler that I was after and I'll give these suggestions a try. it seems to make sense that the choices and libraries will grow considerably over the next few years.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Hi,

I know this post is old, but it might help people who come here via Google.

I use Bismark for iOS (http://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i/) to play Soundfont sounds via MIDI. Soundfont files are a bit dated, and generally aren't as beautiful or sophisticated as VST's or SampleTank etc. But it gives you unlimited options to add sounds to your setup.

There are complete GM (general MIDI) soundfont banks available for free on the internets. As well as soundfonts for specific instruments.

I use it to add some sounds I occasionally need in live setup with my cover band. E.g. tenor sax, brass, conga, strings. You could even make your own soundfont (software is called Vienna iirc) with your own samples.

Good luck!

John

Hello All -

I am searching for a few sound rhythms like Tango, Cha Cha Cha, Rumba, Borrelo and few more South America musics so that I can sing along and playing guitar. Are Sampletank or SoundScapes cover these rhythms which I can load into Ipad. Anything else available on the market please give me some help.
Thanks much.

Drumjam might be a good starting point. There's an update in the offing that will add more features too.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”