Tascam iU2 mobile interface

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has been mentioned in another thread, but I think it defenitely deserves its own: The Tascam iU2.
For mobile musicians this could perhaps be a dream come true.

- Line I/O
- 2x XLR in
- Instrument in
- MIDI I/O
- S/PDIF out
- Dock connected (can as well power your iDevice)
- Also works as a standard computer audio interface

In other words: Just exactly what the doctor ordered. No more need to keep plugging various devices in and out. No more need to have two interfaces with you, should you have an iDevice and a laptop.

http://www.tascamcontractor.com/product/iu2/

Couldn't find anything about the price, yet. Anybody with some information?
Edit: It's supposed to be $149.
Also, for me the most crucial thing would be latency. But then, while not being the top players, AFAIR Tascams USB interfaces do relatively well in terms of latency.

- Sascha

Edit: I'm almost sold already...
Last edited by Sascha Franck on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

Where did you see that it will power an iDevice? That's the one thing I'm waiting to find out about and if it's true then I'm sold too.

Also, one feature you left off is that it has a S/PDIF digital output. It looks like a nice little interface, and it doesn't lock you into landscape mode like the IODock.

but will it work on iphone 3gs?>

Here's a video on it being demoed:

http://www.soundonsound.com/news?NewsID=14685

HTH
Dave

For $150 I think it's definitely worth a shot.

Looks awesome - on the list

clonewar wrote:Where did you see that it will power an iDevice? That's the one thing I'm waiting to find out about and if it's true then I'm sold too.
I think it's said in that soundonsound video (which I could've posted, too...)
Also, one feature you left off is that it has a S/PDIF digital output.
Yeah, sorry. Another excellent thing.
erikb1971 wrote:but will it work on iphone 3gs?>
Good question - I'm still on a 3GS, too. But well, I'm looking for another provider anyway, it'll probably be Vodafone, and in that case I'm gonna get a 4S.

- Sascha

Sascha Franck wrote:
clonewar wrote:Where did you see that it will power an iDevice? That's the one thing I'm waiting to find out about and if it's true then I'm sold too.
I think it's said in that soundonsound video (which I could've posted, too...)
I did see the SOS video, but he doesn't mention if it will charge the iPad. He says that the unit, including the phantom power mic pres, is powered by the iPad, but doesn't talk about the optional power adapter.

clonewar wrote: I did see the SOS video, but he doesn't mention if it will charge the iPad.
http://www.tascam.de/iu2.html

This is in german, but it says that once there's a USB connection (either from a computer or a USB power adapter), your iDevice will be charged (first paragraph on the right).

Edit: Here's the english description:
http://www.tascam.de/en/iu2.html

As said, just what the doctor ordered. Forget about all those IKMM gimmicks and the likes.

- Sascha

It took a bit of time but finally some great solutions are coming up :)
If it does all it says + charging the ipad while on use, then I'm sold. (2x).

If it charges the iPad while you use it that's great and all, but I rarely record for 10 hours, so not really an issue.

polaris20 wrote:If it charges the iPad while you use it that's great and all, but I rarely record for 10 hours, so not really an issue.
Well, I'm sure that once you really start maxing your CPU, it'll not be 10 hours anymore. Perhaps even more like 3.
And then, once you need phantom power (which requires external power supplement), why not just charge your iPad as well? To me that's just a really nice, well thought-out feature.

- Sascha

Sascha Franck wrote: Edit: Here's the english description:
http://www.tascam.de/en/iu2.html

As said, just what the doctor ordered. Forget about all those IKMM gimmicks and the likes.

- Sascha
That's what I was looking for, thanks for the link!

I agree, this looks like exactly what I've been waiting for. I think IKM really missed the boat with iRig Midi by not giving it at least stereo audio I/O. There's no way I want to use the headphone jack of the iPad if I'm going to use something like Sampletank iOS at a live gig. Plus, digital out means I can integrate it nicely in the studio using something like Animoog.
Last edited by clonewar on Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sascha Franck wrote:
polaris20 wrote:If it charges the iPad while you use it that's great and all, but I rarely record for 10 hours, so not really an issue.
Well, I'm sure that once you really start maxing your CPU, it'll not be 10 hours anymore. Perhaps even more like 3.
And then, once you need phantom power (which requires external power supplement), why not just charge your iPad as well? To me that's just a really nice, well thought-out feature.

- Sascha
I guess so. Really even currently using the Apogee JAM and a MIDI controller through the CCK the battery on the iPad lasts so long it doesn't really matter. Sure it's a nice feature, but not crucial, IMO.

polaris20 wrote: I guess so. Really even currently using the Apogee JAM and a MIDI controller through the CCK the battery on the iPad lasts so long it doesn't really matter. Sure it's a nice feature, but not crucial, IMO.
Charging the iPad is critical for me because I'm looking to start using it in live gigs. No way I'm going to spend the whole time worrying about how much power the iPad has left..

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”