Android Tablets?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ah - I can see we have a few armchair R&D people. Ever heard of breakthroughs? bring on the haters - even Apple is worried about Samsung, rightly so lol :-)

I just bought an EEE Pad Transformer, bought Caustic, Sunvox, Electrum Drum Machine & the Reloop Sequencer. Haven't had it long enough to make any music. What I 'm not liking so far is that Caustic & Electrum want all the samples to be in one of their subfolders, so I'll need 2 copies of my user samples folder, which is almost 1gb in size. Good thing I have the SD card in there! Maybe the upgrade to Android v.4 that just self-installed will address this somehow.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

UltraJv wrote:
polaris20 wrote: Everyone who's had that tablet for review has said that while Win8 works great on it, it's noisy and the battery life is terrible. Better off waiting until the platform matures a bit. Paul Thurrott said it sounds like a jet engine.
(....). Most ipad owners live with all its flaws so I cant see that being a problem.
What flaws? My iPad2 does not make any noise at all and the battery life is great!

Moe Shinola wrote:I just bought an EEE Pad Transformer, bought Caustic, Sunvox, Electrum Drum Machine & the Reloop Sequencer. Haven't had it long enough to make any music. What I 'm not liking so far is that Caustic & Electrum want all the samples to be in one of their subfolders, so I'll need 2 copies of my user samples folder, which is almost 1gb in size. Good thing I have the SD card in there! Maybe the upgrade to Android v.4 that just self-installed will address this somehow.
No need for two copies. Caustic will let you browse all the back to your sdcard's root, so you can go into your own folders or even Electrum's. I'm pretty sure electrum does this also but I'll leave that answer to Mr NikoTwenty.

To go up in the directories with caustic, just press the ".." at the top of any file browser popup.

IncarnateX wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
polaris20 wrote: Everyone who's had that tablet for review has said that while Win8 works great on it, it's noisy and the battery life is terrible. Better off waiting until the platform matures a bit. Paul Thurrott said it sounds like a jet engine.
(....). Most ipad owners live with all its flaws so I cant see that being a problem.
What flaws? My iPad2 does not make any noise at all and the battery life is great!
No noise and battery are the good parts of the ipad, it's all the other stuff that sucks ;)

Some examples maybe?

mbncp wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
No noise and battery are the good parts of the ipad, it's all the other stuff that sucks ;)

What other stuff?

IncarnateX wrote:
mbncp wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:
UltraJv wrote:

What other stuff?
Oh, you know - not being able to have plugins and having to run non OSX apps. A win 8 tablet will allow you to do anything you can do with a PC.

Oh, It will...

Keep speculating, meanwhile I'll keep on creating Music on my "flawed" iPad2...

I keep seeing claims of how a windows 8 tablet will run everything blah blah, but as my main PC DAW has a multitude of USB devices connected such as a Synchrosoft & ilok, midisport, audio interface, midi keyboard etc and also has access to an optical drive for installing stuff from.

Is a windows tablet really going to be an option for all things like that. Granted, certain bits like the midi keyboard might be not used all the time but to run Cubase and some plugins I would have thought you would need at least three USB ports.

There does seem to be yet another retarded platform based war brewing between iPad and the 'others'. I'm open to whatever new 'tools' there are to make my passion more interesting, appealing, fun etc so all I'll say from now on is that i really hope that windows tablets are indeed as capable as people are claiming and are a very interesting prospect for us musicians. I'll certainly consider them in the future as I already have an awesome controller device to connect to it.
No, that Glitch is meant to be there.....
http://soundcloud.com/punisha
http://www.myspace.com/punishadubs

UltraJv wrote:Oh, you know - not being able to have plugins and having to run non OSX apps. A win 8 tablet will allow you to do anything you can do with a PC.
I don't want a PC, I wan't an iPad and the one I got have no flaws as such.

And I surely don't want the clusterfuck "windows" to run on any tablet I will ever own.

If you want to talk about "flaws" you should take a look at physical circumstances such as noise, stability, operation, security, chrashes etc. and not subjective things such as devotion for windows and plug ins. Wether it is a flaw to lack windows and plug ins is as relative as can be.

As stated earlier, there is a war on between all these devices. If Android gets low latency audio then things will get very interesting. I think it will happen either to just some devices or as a wrapper like ASIO4ALL. I have seen one audio plugin on Android already. Android allows this. If Apple allows plugins, ditto. Meanwhile the Windows X86 Tablet form may have it all except battery life. YMMV.

UltraJv wrote:
polaris20 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
J.C wrote:you can't use computer software on a tablet

:roll:
You can with Windows 8 with an X86 CPU based tablet. Coming soon :

Samsung Tablet

11.6″ touch-screen display with a gorgeous 1,366 x 768 screen resolution
◦Intel Core i5-2467M 1.6GHz dual-core processor
◦4GB RAM
◦64GB SSD (Solid State) drive
◦Connectivity Options: 3G mobile broadband and Wi-Fi
◦microSD memory card slot, one USB port, Ethernet and a micro HDMI connector
◦Thickness: 12.9mm
◦Weight: Just under 900 grams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Ohaklb ... re=related
Everyone who's had that tablet for review has said that while Win8 works great on it, it's noisy and the battery life is terrible. Better off waiting until the platform matures a bit. Paul Thurrott said it sounds like a jet engine.
Seeing as its not released yet, you cant judge any faults that may be present in test models. Same goes for Windows 8. As for maturity - its just a PC with touch screen. Nothing new except market perception. Most ipad owners live with all its flaws so I cant see that being a problem.
Right; I'm sure they'll completely re-engineer the device, including battery life, thermal properties, etc. from the demo devices given to journalists to the final release. :roll:

IncarnateX wrote:I don't want a PC, I wan't an iPad and the one I got have no flaws as such.
Didn't you jb your iPad ?

polaris20 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
polaris20 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
J.C wrote:you can't use computer software on a tablet

:roll:
You can with Windows 8 with an X86 CPU based tablet. Coming soon :

Samsung Tablet

11.6″ touch-screen display with a gorgeous 1,366 x 768 screen resolution
◦Intel Core i5-2467M 1.6GHz dual-core processor
◦4GB RAM
◦64GB SSD (Solid State) drive
◦Connectivity Options: 3G mobile broadband and Wi-Fi
◦microSD memory card slot, one USB port, Ethernet and a micro HDMI connector
◦Thickness: 12.9mm
◦Weight: Just under 900 grams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Ohaklb ... re=related
Everyone who's had that tablet for review has said that while Win8 works great on it, it's noisy and the battery life is terrible. Better off waiting until the platform matures a bit. Paul Thurrott said it sounds like a jet engine.
Seeing as its not released yet, you cant judge any faults that may be present in test models. Same goes for Windows 8. As for maturity - its just a PC with touch screen. Nothing new except market perception. Most ipad owners live with all its flaws so I cant see that being a problem.
Right; I'm sure they'll completely re-engineer the device, including battery life, thermal properties, etc. from the demo devices given to journalists to the final release. :roll:
Always the extremist eh? Ive worked in R&D, a lot is going on to solve those issues as we speak. Thats what the sample devices are meant for. To test what happens in the real world before production begins. High CPU power is used only when needed like any laptop. Hate all you like, Samsung will make a killing - they have a device in every market. I have the Samsung Nexus S Android phone and its great.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”