There are Low Latency Audio Improvements in Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean)

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

T-CM11 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:Ok, Ive got Jellybean OTA on Nexus S now. Caustic is still reporting high latency (72ms) Does Caustic need a new API for the low latency audio?
From what I heard the real low latency is for the moment only possible on the hardware-software combination that is Nexus7+Jelly Bean...
And from what I heard, the N7 still has bad latency in Caustic. However my Galaxy Nexus went from 93ms to 48ms after the upgrade to 4.1

As for requiring a different API for lower latency, I'm still not sure. I'm using the standard (and older-device-compatible) "AudioTrack" but it's possible to use OpenSL as a different way to access audio. It used to be that these two just used the same internal path but it's possible they have since branched and only the OpenSL path has really been optimized. I still have some tests to run with OpenSL to find out.

SingleCell wrote:
T-CM11 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:Ok, Ive got Jellybean OTA on Nexus S now. Caustic is still reporting high latency (72ms) Does Caustic need a new API for the low latency audio?
From what I heard the real low latency is for the moment only possible on the hardware-software combination that is Nexus7+Jelly Bean...
And from what I heard, the N7 still has bad latency in Caustic. However my Galaxy Nexus went from 93ms to 48ms after the upgrade to 4.1

As for requiring a different API for lower latency, I'm still not sure. I'm using the standard (and older-device-compatible) "AudioTrack" but it's possible to use OpenSL as a different way to access audio. It used to be that these two just used the same internal path but it's possible they have since branched and only the OpenSL path has really been optimized. I still have some tests to run with OpenSL to find out.
According to this post, low latency is achieved "

"via a new fast software mixer"

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/07/a ... ess-today/

Is there reasonable hardware support for this on some tablets? (i.e. a good line level audio input for example)
~stratum~

I'm currently preparing to develop a low latency guitar amp simultaion app for Jelly Bean phones as an university project.

I want to use "Fast Mixer" with OpenSL but cant find anything in the specification or elsewhere on the internet. Anyone knows how "Fast Mixer" is meant to be used with OpenSL?

best regards
Äxxl

just to beat a still wounded horse. I just tested supreme mpa with android 4.2 update on a fresh Nexus 7 tablet and recorded myself tapping a closed hi hat then zoomed in and viewed it in my daw to discover roughly 93ms or so latency... they advertise that it runs at less than 10ms... but maybe thats not round trip? seems kinda shady to advertise latency that isn't actually real world usable...

I recently updated to 4.2.1 on Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM edition). The latency on Caustic used to be around 42ms under 4.1.1 and now it shows 79ms.

I wonder if a clean install instead of an upgrade would bring it back to 42ms.

SirKen wrote:I recently updated to 4.2.1 on Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM edition). The latency on Caustic used to be around 42ms under 4.1.1 and now it shows 79ms.

I have the same device (upgraded from 4.0.4 then 4.1) and I'm getting 40ms buffer size. Try clearing your running apps first ("swipe them away" in the task switcher), then run Caustic and look. The minimum buffer size seems to depends on how many apps are running.

SingleCell wrote:
SirKen wrote:I recently updated to 4.2.1 on Google Galaxy Nexus (GSM edition). The latency on Caustic used to be around 42ms under 4.1.1 and now it shows 79ms.

I have the same device (upgraded from 4.0.4 then 4.1) and I'm getting 40ms buffer size. Try clearing your running apps first ("swipe them away" in the task switcher), then run Caustic and look. The minimum buffer size seems to depends on how many apps are running.
I always make sure to close all the apps in the background. Otherwise the battery drains way too fast. Anyway, I just checked it again and this time it was 40ms. Perhaps there was some other process that didn't show up in the task switcher at that time?..

On another note, thank you so much for the Caustic. Even with the latency, it still lets me make music thanks to the piano roll and the patterns. Any news on that modular synth you were developing?

Excited by this news as the ipad is vastly overpriced especially in comparison to much higher spec offerings like the goole nexus 10 tablet. The more options the better!
At the moment I'd still have to go for the ipad due to a lack of music apps on android at the moment - hopefully the developers will get a move on soon - V-Control pro, Touchable, Lemur, PPG, Animoog, Korg, Griid need to move before I'll consider android as a viable alternative.
Maybe in 2013 or 2014?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”