SampleTank for iPhone/iPad Updated to v1.2

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So virtual midi will be handled by ios 6 and not the app.

For what we know now ios6 will enable something called "inter-app audio".

What exactly it is, nobody can say. A couple of devs registered on the Apple dev forum may know a bit more but they're not allowed to discuss in Public about this.

But as far as I understand the term "inter-app audio" it has nothing to do with MIDI.

Plus: imagine where we would be if we had to wait for Apple to develop all the features we need.
Thanks all the devs involved in the OMAC technos we have very usable music apps, not thanks Apple.

Virtual MIDI is not the only feature that was mentioned in this thread. Audio related features were mentioned as well. For MIDI, there is a great app called MIDIBridge that is available right now.

We are definitely listening to what users want, and keeping an eye on developments and trends in mobile music making. Please feel free to drop in on the IK Forum where you will have a direct line to IK. We have an entire sub-forum dedicated to discussing the Mobile Music Revolution.

Make me laugh...

When I see this kind of answers on your forum it doesn't make me wanna register:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/forum/viewt ... 65279a2614

And this thread is from oct-dec 2011!!

I don't see any difference with what you say on KVR:
"Do what you can with what we are selling, or try this work around with this X or Y third party app, or buy this great accessory we are selling!"

Brian @ IK Multimedia wrote:We have to prioritize new features based on a number of factors.
We are continuing to develop SampleTank, and will get to all of it.
Keep in mind that iOS 6 is not far off now and will contain many new features, which could make some of these requests moot.
It seems that audio copy paste should have been prioritized high enough to make it into the initial release.
You guys charge 20, for the app, and another 40 for all the sounds - and it's still a bona ride toy until it plays well with others.

+ 1

Mmmmmm, midi.

Although...

I would like to see a better reverb, or at least better control over the existing reverb. Even though it is one of the better reverbs on a mobile app, It seems that I can't get a nice subtle warm room. 90% of the control seems to be huge or more huge.
There's a sweet spot between 0 and 1 that's a little difficult to dial in.

A little reverb goes a long wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. :wink:

I'm hoping Sampletank on the iPad will be useable/stable live.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

martygras wrote:
I use it on iPad.
It's far from stable.

I've never used it on iPhone, so I can't compare the 2.

Jeremicci wrote:
martygras wrote:
I use it on iPad.
It's far from stable.

I've never used it on iPhone, so I can't compare the 2.
Sounds like a problem to report to Tech Support at http://www.ikmultimedia.com because it is stable enough to be used on stage and even fairly advanced players like Jordan Rudess have used it in less-than-typical setups (like with MIDIbridge and GeoSynth) and it really keeps up. I know Mr Rudess isn't always a fave around here, and wouldn't have a clue being that he has his own apps and really isn't much of a player (that last part is sarcasm if you didn't detect it), but...

Again, report your stability issues to tech support and get them resolved, and you'll likely be much happier with SampleTank.

@IK guys,
Is there an updated version of the Sampletank manual for iPad that talks about the new midi implementation and continuous controller assignment?
Can't find it at the IK site, although I do have the older manual.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

martygras wrote:@IK guys,
Is there an updated version of the Sampletank manual for iPad that talks about the new midi implementation and continuous controller assignment?
Can't find it at the IK site, although I do have the older manual.
Hi, good question. All of our iOS manuals (including this one) are in the My Products section of your User Area. The manual is associated with its product. Once registered, you can download it (and of course also access it in the app itself). The 1.2 manual contains all the info for the new MIDI PC and CC features.

I just tried this -- after successfully logging in -- and got "403 - Forbidden."

Accessing from within the app works. Thx
I do prefer to have all my manuals in pdf form so they're all in my ibooks collections though.
"Don't quantize me bro"!

I only just started to look around others in the audio community again, and IK Multimedia was one of the first companies to spring to mind. This is my first peek in the mobile forums here, and it's very refreshing.

Yofiel's work will be in multimedia interfaces and will provide a simpler array of sequencer modules which supplements, rather than supplants, other software. While it will provide musical capabilities, its emphasis will be to integrate other human-interface devices (HIDs). For example, colors in a handheld's cam field could change a playing melody. Yofiel seeks alliance rather than competition, and welcomes other creative indviduals who are intersted in expanding music beyond fixed compositions and compilations, to interfactive apps that accompany music recordings. It is believed this will be a growing future opportunity for artists to attract audiences. Currently, it is working on real-time 3d rendering from sound in OpenGL, which requires more horsepower than a handheld can provide. Then it will offer integration with handhelds after the Windows 8 tablet announcement in October. If it's of interest to IK Multimedia or other artists here, we'll be glad to hear from you also.

I had the opportunity to speak with the product manager for SampleTank today since we're both in the US office... One of the important sentiments stated was that "no update is a small update" meaning that there is still a lot required to develop and test even a bugfix-only point release so he is leaning toward pushing for more features or sounds or tangible updates in the future when possible. Of course there's always a balance and when a fix is needed, we'll need to do it but if possible we'll try to get more features in with fixes etc.

And I've made sure support was aware of the 403 issue too.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”