iGrand Piano for iPad is Now Available

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

timokc wrote:Question for one of the IK folks. I'm wondering if it is possible to get background audio working with both Sampletank and iGrand Piano. Currently, if I have both launched, and minimize one (ie get a loop going in Sampletank that I can play piano over), the sound immediately cuts out when I launch the other. Is it not possible because are using the same sound engine?

Would be great to see these two apps integrated a bit more. I've found that background audio is hit or miss with both of them, when using other programs, but was surprised that they couldn't play nice together.
Apparently this is supposed to work better but now it will be improved with an update, we'll keep you posted! Thanks for the heads up, we've got people working on it.

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

iGrand Piano has been updated with increased polyphony and other fixes:

- Increased polyphony on the latest devices
- Graphic enhancements
- Fixed a bug with Dock Compatibility Mode B

Yes, now I can say this rocks.
I didn't try the total polyphony, but I can say it's above 40 notes on the Ipad 3.
Now this app is ready to be compared to a digital piano.
Of course it can improve, and I give some hints: catch the release of the notes with the sustain pedal, add damper samples to the sustain pedal, emulate sustain pedal resonance...
The biggest step has been taken: polyphony.

Now please do the same to sampletank...

So I am assuming that 64 voice polyphony is only available on the iPad 3 then? IK Multimedia confirmed that the iPad 2 will max out at 32. I'm a little disappointed since the iPad 2 is capable of 64 (at least in another app I own - Music studio).

jazcan wrote:So I am assuming that 64 voice polyphony is only available on the iPad 3 then? IK Multimedia confirmed that the iPad 2 will max out at 32. I'm a little disappointed since the iPad 2 is capable of 64 (at least in another app I own - Music studio).
Not all apps are the same. This is a VERY detailed piano and we pushed it as much as we could to 32 on iPad 2 in our tests.

From what I remember, music studio has mono samples. The sounds do have quite a punch, though.

Whisper dancer wrote:From what I remember, music studio has mono samples. The sounds do have quite a punch, though.
Yes, I figured that was the difference. IGrand does have a far superior piano sound. I love the app, just wish my year and a half old iPad could take full advantage of it :?

Understandable, but that's how technology is changing. Scary how fast things are getting faster, actually exciting. Things are only going to get better.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

Hi,

I just download the iGrand Free. I can't find a way to save performance as MIDI file to use later at home. But perhaps I'm blind ?
If it can't, it will be very disappointing from a serious dev like IK. Finally, the first purpose of a mobile device is to save rough ideas on the road and edit later at the studio.
Thanks
cheers
Phil
Music : Quantum Crash | Lussy Bless
Recording studio : Wake The Dead ! Studio

Sorry that we missed your question, philwake... It does save the performance as MIDI but does not export as MIDI yet. We will be adding that in the future though. Thanks!

Thanks Peter, it's good news !

cheers
Phil
Music : Quantum Crash | Lussy Bless
Recording studio : Wake The Dead ! Studio

No problem! We'll also be updating SampleTank iOS and one of the changes will be increased polyphony similar to the update for iGrand Piano that did so.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:No problem! We'll also be updating SampleTank iOS and one of the changes will be increased polyphony similar to the update for iGrand Piano that did so.
I have both Sampletank and IGrand Piano, and the sounds are incredible. Weird thing is, they don't seem to play well with other apps' audio.

If possible, can you speak with your team and find out if they can implement an audio solution so that i can play ST or IG while say, impc or Cubasis is playing? Currently, opening ST or IG completely shuts off the audio from any other app. Bummer too, because these are the best pianos i have heard on ipad
and rivals many VSTs.

I would like to be able to use this app in a sequence with other apps, but currently it seems it is not possible.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”