iRig KEYS Shipping! Ultra-portable universal MIDI controller for iPhone, iPad and Mac/PC

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I got the iRig Keys a couple of weeks ago and used it with my MBP as a USB keyboard for a time and it worked. I just plugged it in a few days ago into my iPad2 using the 30-pin cable and I was surprised that neither iGrand nor SampleTank would play when launched. I contacted IKM and opened a support ticket.

It turns out that every time I launch these apps I MUST disconnect and reconnect the 30-pin connector! I tried a whole bunch of apps and some, like Sunriser and Arctic Keys, will see and use iRig Keys on launch, no problem. Others like Animoog, see it but the user has to select iRig Keys as a MIDI input. Some others behave much like IKM's own apps, where iRig Keys has to be unplugged and replugged while the app is active and a connection is immediate, and still others require unplugging/replugging AND MIDI input selection to work.

Since it is possible for an app to open and auto-connect to iRig Keys, I would at least expect IKM's own apps to behave this way. Maybe this will come in later versions.

But these behaviors open up the larger question of why these behavioral variations exist at all. Is it because there's no uniformity of MIDI implementation? Actually, I'm also wondering if all iRig Keys work this way? It could be a firmware issue.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, a USB-CCK connection is more solid and I'm pretty sure none of these issues would occur. It's a little less convenient but a good workaround.

This discussion could merit its own thread, but I figured I'd start here.

I asked the support team and they have let me know the following:
We are aware of this issue, which started occurring after the iOS 6 update. It appears that when you launch a new app that uses MIDI, the iRig KEYS will fall offline, and the only way to reset the connection is to unplug the iRig KEYS and reconnect while the new app is open.

Please do note that we have tested this issue with various different MIDI interfaces. This also occurs with other non-IK MIDI interfaces. This occurs with all MIDI interface devices, and not just iRig KEYS.

Our development team has communicated this issue directly. We hope it will be resolved in a future iOS 6 update.

For the meantime, we can only recommend that you please unplug iRig Keys and re-connect it if this issue occurs again.
So this is not unique to iRig KEYS or our apps.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:So this is not unique to iRig KEYS or our apps.
Funny, I tried using iRig Keys via USB-CCK this morning and EXACTLY the same behavior is happening! So this is a system-wide problem. I'm glad Apple has been informed about this and that it's not an iRig Keys problem. Hopefully a solution will be coming down the pipeline. Thanks for inquiring about this, Peter. It's appreciated. :)

Note that iRig KEYS is part of our Magnum VI Group Buy in case anybody was on the fence.

So this is not unique to iRig KEYS or our apps.[/quote]

That's possible, however, I pre-ordered my iRig KEYS and received it last October, when we were still on iOS 5.x - The connection to iGrand and Sampletank was flakey at best, working arbitrarily or not at all. Didn't have that problem with other apps. Just IKMultimedia. Nothing's changed. If I have to use a USB connection via CCK, I'd rather use a better keyboard anyway - my AKAI works just fine. Like most of the disappointing products I've bought over the years from IK, it's just not worth the bother...

There are many that are VERY satisfied and don't find it flaky at all. I see you have had some sort of broader issue with us (based on the sweeping dig about anything IK you've purchased) and if you'd be willing to PM more information I can see what I can do.

iRig KEYS is a fantastic controller, rock solid, and I feel for you that it isn't the case for you. I'd also be willing to have any tickets looked into that you feel haven't been handled satisfactorily so you can be among the many happy users of iRig KEYS if you'd still be interested. Thanks!

I know that many here like to also take digs at him too, but Jordan Rudess loves his and didn't report any issues - he didn't just use it for this video and move on either, as he has it in the studio too (he's been known to use his iPhone and iPad for controllers on stage and in-studio so this isn't shocking)...

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIHcmVIdKx0

In the studio:

Again, feel free to contact me privately to see if there's anything I can do to hep with your dissatisfaction with your IK products. Thanks.

Bought iRig keys about a week ago and am very happy with it. Only problem is that I have now discovered the vast universe of SW synths and therefore it remains hooked up to my laptop rather than an iOS device. Took it on a road trip last weekend. It fit into my commuter backpack. Perfect.

I'm sure Jordan Rudess did that video just out of his pure kidness and mind-blowing awe of this product.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

BMoore wrote:I'm sure Jordan Rudess did that video just out of his pure kidness and mind-blowing awe of this product.
While probably not a free bee, I doubt Rudess would whore himself out for a product he doesn't like either.

Will the adapter for the iRig HD to iPad 4 work with iRig Keys?
Last edited by WBRS on Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

polaris20 wrote:
BMoore wrote:I'm sure Jordan Rudess did that video just out of his pure kidness and mind-blowing awe of this product.
While probably not a free bee, I doubt Rudess would whore himself out for a product he doesn't like either.
He apparently likes a LOT of products then....

WBRS wrote:Will the adaptor for the iRig HD to iPad 4 work with iKeys
I will check on this, I'm not sure yet. Wish I had one to check, I'm anxious for HD here too.

Look, I get it - you're not an IK fan. I'm glad you have enough interest and time to weigh in on each of our threads and I already called it that there would be a reaction like this.

However, he really IS a fan of iRig KEYS, and he could have left it at the video (which was done when he first had it) but later also took it into the studio for no reason other than he wanted it there. He posted that picture and it surprised even us, as the video was generous of him to do for nothing - yes he can get excited about a number of products but he genuinely likes a lot and iRig KEYS is on that list apparently.

And yes, many do feel this product is that good and prefer it over the other options available. I know those that paint IK with the broad stroke of "I don't like them, therefore everything they make or do sucks" will always diss the product and anything we or others say about it but it is a great product and there are many that agree with this "out of pure kindess".

Aural Chaos wrote:
polaris20 wrote:
Kind of like a huge portion of the KVR user base, then? Though typically things like this and other IK products survive the similar honeymoon period despite the internet rage we appear to cause by our mere existence.

Aural Chaos wrote:
polaris20 wrote:
I'm sure he does. Don't you? I know I do.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”